Are you applying for JobKeeper?

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Simon Hampel, 24th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Are you applying for JobKeeper?

1. Yes, my turnover has dropped enough to qualify

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. No, my turnover has dropped, but not enough to qualify

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. No, business is actually steady or growing!

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. No, my business isn't eligible in any case

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Not yet, but I might need to later

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. What's a JobKeeper?

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Curious to know how COVID-19 has affected business owners and managers represented on PropertyChat.

Have you seen a decline in turnover?
    Have you had to lay off or stand down staff?
    Have you (or will you) apply for JobKeeper?

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

None of the above. My accountant reckoned I could apply, but being an online business, turnover has increased, despite the fact that we're winding it down now & haven't imported any new product in maybe 18 months. So, no, I won't be getting it.

3. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

I wasn't looking for any help as my business is unaffected (software development) so on sorting the last quarter's BAS I was surprised to learn that I (well my one man Pty Ltd) qualifies for a $10K credit so nothing to pay.

4. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Yes , Yes and Yes.

5. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Ok, I’ll add a little more. This job keeper is a good idea but I think they haven’t executed it well. The amount of people who expect the payment but don’t want to actually keep working even though you have work available for them is ridiculous.
    Add to this the fact that job seeker is now almost the same as jobkeeper after taxes, there is no longer an incentive to work.

jm10x, ttn, Bunbury and 2 others like this.
  6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I voted for steady and growing....
    In reality turnover is up 20% or more :rolleyes:
    People are lazy :eek:
    Having trouble hiring also :confused: (It's physical work :p)
    I go to work in the dark, get home and it's dark :(
    I'm just the gardener :rolleyes:

7. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Yep, I've heard this as well.

Big A likes this.
  8. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

Big A likes this.
  9. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

This whole thing was a good idea that has been poorly executed by government. There is so much confusion and chopping and changing that no one knows what they are supposed to do. Most businesses are reluctant to pay staff in advance of receiving the government payment, in case they change the eligibility or decide you aren’t eligible.
    What a farce.

jim1964, ttn and alicudi like this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My company is eligible for jobkeeper so I had to fill in the form.

11. ALT

ALT Well-Known Member

Yes we were all set for Jobkeeper payments, as it was all passed by ATO, then it was suddenly changed. Not good.

ttn likes this.
  12. Toucan

Toucan Well-Known Member

But if it's a foreign owned company, why would the Australian government be obliged to pay that companies employees wages?
    I do feel sorry for the employees, but it's not our government's responsibility.

jim1964, Joynz and skater like this.
  13. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

Did you read the article that ATO previously confirmed that the employees are eligible? :rolleyes:

The point was the employees were applying for Jobseeker but then changed to Jobkeeper because of that but now they dont know about their benefits from March to May

Another point the company was approved by ACCC for the take over by a foreign company like two years ago not that like the employees had a choice

14. Toucan

Toucan Well-Known Member

The article says "the" worker, not all workers.. a lot of people are in the same boat, it's a **** show, if they all applied for job seeker (whenever) then I agree they should be supported, but I totally understand that the government shouldn't be responsible for foreign owned companies employee wages.
    It should have been made a policy when first announced though.

skater likes this.
  15. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

"They had been relying on getting backpay for the past month but it’s unclear whether they can get any backpay on the lower JobSeeker payment".

That doesn't make sense. A requirement of JobKeeper is that the employer was supposed to continue to pay them throughout March and April, then the ATO will commence the JobKeeper payments from the first week of May.

16. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Incorrect. The obligation was to ensure the employee has been paid for the period commencing on 30 March for the 2 f/nights in April to receive the reimbursement in early May. The employer MUST have paid that by 8th May. And then maintain paying $1500 a f/n thereafter. If a employer backdates arlier than 30 March they get no extra. Many employees stood down are better re-engaged with a 30 March date and then they cancel their centrelink from 30 March. Of course that takes time to stop the titanic and they will end up with some debt. Can be managed using the centrelink app to avoid any disputes later.

The flaw with jobseeker is they dont backdate.

17. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

So if a small business owner only pays himself every quarter or let's say once per year, does this mean they won't be successful in their application for jobkeeper as they may not have paid themselves recently?

18. Paul@PAS

What gets skipped over by many media outlets in the chase to sensationalise is the Jobkeeper was always limited to exclude many Govt agencies. eg teachers, health staff and so on. The meaning of Government includes a soverign employer ie : Another Govt. Dnata is a company owned by a Government. If Qantas was owened by the Commonwealth those employees would be excluded. Others affected can include those who work in a embassy. But there are less of them working for a single employer and arent unionised making a lot of noise.

19. Paul@PAS

No. they may qualify as either a employee if they are one or as a eligible business participant in some cases (only ONE). A` great example is asole trader. They cant pay themselves but can apply as a EBP. There is no requirement for a EBP to be paid as such. The jobkeeper rules prevent any person being a employee and a ebp and further safeguard is a EBP cannot also be employed and paid remuneration by any employer.

alicudi likes this.