Are we really this rare?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by jaybean, 31st Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, depends on the context.
    I've got a friend who has been hassled and called a 'capitalist' with a negative connotation.

legallyblonde likes this.
  2. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Yep.. I don't mind sharing my business on here with fellow 'investors' (if I can call myself that with one IP) because there is nothing but mutual respect... But out in the real world... People see my working lots of overtime and suddenly I am a bad person who values money over all else! So needless to say it is a lot easier if I am just a struggling first home buyer/student.

Beelzebub, Darren A and Azazel like this.
  3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Well good on you for making such a getting a good running start at it while you're young. You will be able to relax a lot earlier than a lot of others - or keep going and watch massive gains you thought were never possible.

4. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

=) I am not the type to sit still for very long! It will be great when the passive income is rolling in and I can have plenty of projects on the go for fun/profits.

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm happy to tell people that ask, however I don't go into full details. I will say more on here, than in real life, and family & some friends know we have a couple of properties, but I guess they would be quite surprised to learn how many.:D

Eric Wu likes this.
  6. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Pretty much my thoughts, I generally don't discuss it with anyone and if I do its never about numbers etc only ideas or strategy. My family know we have a couple of investments but not the actual extent of investment...or debt:eek:

7. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

@HUGH72 that is what no non investor wants to hear or know about.

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Same here, after 1 I thought I was pretty fancy, 2 friends/relos started to look at it differently - especially those who didn't have an IP. After reading advice on SS, decided to keep it under my hat a bit. It's just more debt really, but people start to think you're rich at some point.

legallyblonde likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

..and suddenly you have every Tom, Dick and Harry thinking you owe them...:eek:

Hanison likes this.
  10. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Don't understand these types' mentality.

What would they have everyone do?...

Shed our clothes, cars, houses, and go live in a lean-to made of bark out in the mulga?

Who would pay for their Gubbmint grant to study rubbish?

I like out current game of letting folks get disgustingly rich (and good on em); and they then have a load of cash to help save the world - and they do.

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Ive had those type comments directed at me a few times in a negative way and I was just minding my own business too when they said it. I just turn around and reply "lets talk again come pension time mate". They are silent then.

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Oh boy, reminds me of that thread on whirlpool... some of the whingers waiting for the market to crash and hating on anyone who has an IP. I'll never get that 10mins back.

13. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Not to be a downer, we need to be careful beefing ourselves up as well.

I know people with one or two properties with no 'big aims'. Those two properties are worth 4x my entire portfolio. Also know people where just 1 property makes $1.5M/year at 40% ROI.

This is putting my investment efforts into perspective. My $200k passive income aim is looking quite lame when the last 10 late 20s early 30s people i met are making over $500k/year and growing, mostly self made labourers.

Just keep improving and growing. Surround yourself with people doing things beyond your boundaries and don't shy away from hard work.

neK likes this.
  14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

The more superior you think you are, the less you are able to learn.

spludgey and Beelzebub like this.
  15. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

I had family bothered about the fact that I bought my first IP. Espescially in my wife's family. She is the youngest of a bigger family. Comments went around like 'how can they afford another house? '. 'They only bought their PPOR a few years ago. How is this possible?' Then some started to distance themselves from us...so when I started organising finance for IP2, who did we tell? No one. Some people just can't handle other people's success because they think it makes them less of a success. The only place I share anything is on this forum. Outside here, I just carry on with daily life and people around me don't know a thing. Some posts here are spot on. People can look at you differently if they know you have IPs and I don't mean in a good way. It's just easier to blend in with the masses sometimes.
    The only situation not connected to this forum or meetups etc, where I met someone who has excited and positive about my journey was a guy I met who had 5 IPS. We were at a 6 year old girl's birthday party where he was a father of one of the little girls. We started chatting and he mentioned property investment. Suffice to say we spent the whole afternoon in a corner talking about it. A few other people who had approached to get in on what we were talking about quickly disappeared when they realised what we were talking about. Probably though we were a couple of bull**** artists blowing our own trumpets.

chylld and bob shovel like this.
  16. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

People at work ask me about it and I love talking to them about property in general. This is because most of the people at my workplace are ambitious go-getters (my kind of people!), and not tall poppy poppers or whingers !

Other than that, its just me and my partner (who is also building an IP portfolio too) that really talk about it.

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's people here and there that I talk to about it.
    A couple of people at work know I have 1, but I'm not going to tell them more details than that.
    I have a boss who has quite a few, he's probably wondering why I haven't come to ask his advice - he could probably use mine ;)

Phantom likes this.
  18. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Maybe you could do a JV with him?You might end up a partner in the business as well. ;)

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Haha, nah. Never mix business and, uh, business.

20. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

May not be as rare as the stats show. You would need to consider that anyone who has a number of properties would be starting to think about structuring.

In our case we have 8 properties in our own name and then the rest are in seperate entities which the likes of rp data or even the abs and ato would diverenciate as far as the stats that have been quoted.

Beelzebub and skater like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia