are we overdue for 'another' Royal Commision into the building industry

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by bmc, 30th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Coxy89

Coxy89 Well-Known Member

Thing is most government agencies are completely unable to operate efficiently and quickly. Council has 20 days to respond to a DA submission so damn right they will take 20 days even if it is a fairly simple application. Get them involved and no builder will be able to turn a profit if they're waiting a week to get an inspection from some council nobody who is going to end up looking at 10 different projects in a month. On a large project how is anyone like that going to have a meaningful impact.

Separating builders and designers may have an impact but consultants have been ruined by big builders on D&C projects. I couldn't name an architecture firm that is equipped to operate as a project manager or superintendent on 100m+ project. They're all full of grads getting their hours up and managers who have never administered anything other than a consultant agreement in their lives. The old guys from the days of the architects being project managers are all retired or working for builders as design managers.

2. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

got another urgent call to another site in western Sydney this morning. :eek:

building has since been evacuated.

18296 012.JPG
    18296 003.JPG
    18296 002.JPG

how did this one ever get passed scrutiny ?

3. Coxy89

Coxy89 Well-Known Member

Complete failure of subcontractor, builder and consultant QA.

Seems a bit over the top to evacuate the building based on that column though. Prop it adequately, jackhammer the loose material out and patch with suitable product. Should have been done as soon as the formwork was stripped but lazy QA from all parties has let it get through.

That looks like a loading dock/carpark area? If I saw that in a finished building whilst looking at a unit there's no way I'd go through with a purchase.