Are we heading towards a recession

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 6th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Nah, political parties just need to come up with GOOD policies and ‘sell’ them to the Aussie people.

Kangabanga likes this.
  2. Jezzah

Jezzah Well-Known Member

True I didn't provide any statistics to back up my claims and indicated that I couldn't. Still at no point did I say we should stop all immigration. I do think though that with wage growth being an issue for the past 10 years and the prospect of rising unemployment it is reasonable to look at the supply side of the labour market. This also means that we should invest more in VET training and less in universities.

Here's some recent data from seek. Note how many professions are also classified as having "skills shortages"

q34r3.gif

inertia likes this.
  3. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

I don't think that diagram proves what you think it does.

4. Jezzah

Jezzah Well-Known Member

What do you think "I think it proves"? Because I don't think it proves anything. Stop implying I speak in absolutes because I don't.

But I am truly interested to hear your thoughts on my comments.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

Governments are not the same as households and companies.
    Governments create cash money. They have a monopoly over that.
    Why should we judge a government for borrowing money? After all, it will be the Government that prints the money that pays for that.

LIDM, Chill2205 and TSK like this.
  6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

If we're heading into a recession or a downturn, what do you propose we do? Sell everything? I recall the wise words of Gerry Harvey a few yrs ago and I quote:

"Interest rates, I think, are heading to zero, and the inflation rate does not look like being very high for a long time so why would house prices crash? There is no guarantee it will fall at all. All I know after looking at the economy for 56 years now is that things always come back and exceed their highs some years later".

Anecdotal and simplistic I know, but whether there is an impending recession or not, it hasn't and won't change my approach ie shore up the balance sheet by either paying down some debt or sell a couple of props if I have to but beyond that, it's business as usual.

Betting the farm on a particular outcome and going full hog on either side of the spectrum is foolhardy if you ask me. You could just stick your money under the mattress if that makes you feel safer but that's not how I play this game. I invest in property bc I'm bullish on the LONG TERM fundamentals. If not, why would you be on this site?

Last edited: 8th Jun, 2019
    Lindsay_W, Toon and Codie like this.
  7. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

this is amazing. Been looking for something like this for ages! Especially the bit about the government is not a household - that thought process needs to die and not be encouraged by politicians!

Last edited: 8th Jun, 2019
  8. Jezzah

Jezzah Well-Known Member

So after what felt like being accused of a being a racist I decided to look it up. Note both of my parents were migrants to Australia so I'm not out to blame migrants for anything. In fact I am not accusing anyone of anything. I am just saying here is an example of how wages can be increased through adjustments to the Labour market.

Plus as I said earlier the Labour market is more than the number of people but also their skills. Which is why we should re-examine how we fund tertiary education.

Wages show fastest rise in almost a decade

Here are some choice quotes for you.

9. Waterboy

Okay here's how it could work under current arrangements:

(1) The Government keeps "borrowing" money so it can spend it on infrastructure, schools, hospitals, etc to keep the economy moving. This is done by issuing Bonds to Investors.

(2) The Reserve Bank (which by the way is owned by the Government), buys these Bonds from Investors in the open market. The RBA does not have to borrow money in order to be able to buy these Bonds. It can just electronically print money (doesn't have to be physical cash) by crediting the accounts of the Bond sellers.

(3) The Government then cancels these Bonds, and the RBA writes them off. No problem, because the RBA is owned by the Government.

As long as inflation is controlled through Taxes, the Government can actually create an Endless Money Train for all Aussies to enjoy!

muller23, jimmy and Tekoz like this.
  10. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Seems like spurious correlation to me. The article itself treats each area separately and none of the authors made the leap that you did, nor did the orginal data when I skimmed over it. Labour market economic commentary - Office for National Statistics

11. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

I'll need to read more about MMT. Funny video linked off that channel about deficit owl.

12. Jezzah

Jezzah Well-Known Member

Yeah the data you linked seemed to lack correlations between almost any of the data points. And on third reading I think you are right that the article didn't specifically link the rise in wages to the change in population. However, they did choose it as one of the few elements to highlight in general about an article of rising wages.

Thoughts on the need to address our tertiary education system? Perhaps you don't agree?

13. Waterboy

Data are past events. Who cares?What matters is, what do we do next?

14. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

The 10 year-2 year has inverted so probably going a recession. Coupled with trade war, American employment at all time high, it’s definitely recession in 18 months. The hedge fund I run has gone into mostly cash and gold, with a few select picks only, although I am taking the punt and launching a subdivision fund soon.

On Main St I can tell you businesses are struggling, both through the lenses of my father’s business as a tenant, and also a a landlord (commercial tenants are struggling more).

C-mac, Empire, ollidrac nosaj and 2 others like this.
  15. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

I’m Irish and with all due respect if a recession on a similar scale to ireland (and it won’t ) happed. Here , we have no idea what we are in for . How could we , we’ve had 27yrs of growth.
    There is more money made in recessions than booms, but very few people have the foresight, cash and bravery to catch a falling knife

Combined with an AUD vs EUR of .8c and an across the board price drop of 50% in ireland up to 80% for the mass produced fringe stuff , huge money was made buying in ireland in 2012. Prices for premium stocks are back , aud is .6c and Rental yields are through the roof. Nothing was built 2008-2015

Any of you involved in development , I’ll tell you stories about banks behaviour in times of recession that will make your eyes drop.
    If your of the belief recession is aahead Be very careful

16. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Credit is money and banks create credit.

17. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Past events in other countries provide hints/data on what the outcome of a particular course of action.

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  18. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

you didn't watch the video, or you chose not to understand it.

Waterboy likes this.
  19. Waterboy

Please ask the banks to use "credit" to build infrastructure or pay for Public Goods without asking anything in return.

Under the Modern Money scheme, the Government uses Tax not to fund public goods, but to control inflation.

20. DAZ79

DAZ79 Well-Known Member

Not true. The unemployment rate rose consistently from 2008 to 2012/13.

Didn’t get back to anything like acceptable levels until recently.

The country was decimated by a massive property bubble followed by years of austerity.

Even now, Ireland is living with the consequences.

If anything like that happened here there would be murder.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia