Are we heading towards a recession

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 6th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

highlighter likes this.
  2. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    For the first time in 36 years GDP per capita has gone backwards in three consecutive quarters.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, 2019/20 not looking great

What’s scary in Perth is the amount of shops/retail, restaurants closing. Rents, on line shopping, uber eats killing these business’

[d4rk-fr3d] and Ross Forrester like this.
  4. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

Crystal ball going as far as 12months, don't see any recession just yet!

kierank likes this.
  5. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Hardly. Uber eats is a delivery service if takeaway, a slave labour one at that imo. Discretionary spending is down due to people being worried about a multitude of factors. Government will have to go big on spending to keep things afloat, cutting tax I doubt will flow through in any meaningful way as people will simply put it in offset, as they should. A surplus should have never been on the agenda.

MTR likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We have been very fortunate, I hope you are right

Lindsay_W likes this.
  7. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

And Uber Eats hasn't even made a profit yet!

8. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Ponzi scheme of a company ...only survives on ongoing injections of capital and can't see they making money any time soon. Their products can be replicated by competitors easily.

ms420 and Lindsay_W like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Omg
    I dont know what my daughter did before uber eats came along

Lindsay_W likes this.
  10. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Same could be said about afterpay

dragon likes this.
  11. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Josh Frydenberg announces the Budget is back in surplus

Frydenberg was interviewed by Leigh Sales and scoffed at the suggestion that this surplus may not eventuate. The RBA is virtually begging the government to fiscally stimulate the economy.

marty998 likes this.
  12. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Even their own upper management have said they have no idea when it will be profitable, horror stories from restaurants/cafes who deal with them

13. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

We're already in a per capita recession. I'd say yes

14. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Online businesses are the way of the future now. If u are not offering a special service or product having physical shop just adds a huge amount of overheads.

Retailers will sooner or later have to sell via ebay or amazon marketplaces. Restaurants and takeaway places may find their ubereats or menulog business bring in more orders than their physical restaurants.

WA should be booming though with iron ore prices this high. Maybe its the lack of new mining investment??

Tbh our employment numbers are more dismal than they show on the surface. More than half of new jobs are part time now.

kingstreet75 and ms420 like this.
  15. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

[
    Don't know enough about them but they don't have immense technology and regulatory costs to try to automate their products. Afterpay will tinker but core of their product is there, for them it's expansion of products into as many retail shops vs zip pay.

16. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

I'm not against capital injection to get over that initial period when a business starts but you better have some idea of when you might break even.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...accidental-iron-ore-boom-20190212-p50xap.html

Its not enough

Perth property market is still in oversupply, however certain pockets/blue chip areas have bottomed, or stable?? but still not at prices of 2007 when market peaked

Whats do they say ...... property doubles every 10 years???

muller23 and Silverson like this.
  18. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

I’ll make another outlier call...this one I have very little confidence in though as it’s far harder to predict than house price activity post rate cuts, but can play out a narrative that supports it:

- The economy will be signing and dancing again by late 2020. Similar to H1 2018 conditions again. QoQ growth will be a little bit faster than the 0.60-0.70% print the RBA forecast. Inflation and wage growth will remain weak though, so they won’t raise rates from their lowest ever point.

- The response to this current slowdown is likely to be strong. 2-3 rate cuts, big fiscal stimulus and boosts to lending. It’ll spur confidence and create a bump for activity again.

- I think the consumer has been hiding under a rock, nervous, scared and has dropped their spending (descretionary) as a result. Soon enough (perhaps already) they’ll get a whiff that there house is worth $100k more again, that they have 3k+ p.a extra disposable income, feel wealthier/more income and start spending. The mining export gas burner will remain, public sector investment will remain strong, construction will take off again, the low dollar will continue to support, etc.

We are repeating the 2016 response, I can see the results being reasonably similar. 18 months after the August 16 cut we had some stellar growth figures again (relative to the developed world).

Jake Milne, Toon, Blueskies and 3 others like this.
  19. Kangabanga

Esh, Antoni0, ms420 and 2 others like this.
  20. Kangabanga

We were in a different credit environment in 2016. Seriously doubt housing sector would get much of a boost this time round. Liquidity from rate drop unlikely to flow as much into property sector. Other asset classes like stocks might see a bigger boost though.

muller23 and albanga like this.