Are these walls load bearing?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by LachlanM, 28th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LachlanM

LachlanM Member

Hi!
    We have big plans for a renovation we want to begin in the next 6 months. We will be flipping the kitchen around but it depends if some walls are load bearing.

I had a builder mate pop his head up and said that the walls aren't load bearing but would like a separate opinion as I've found some similar looking roofs on the internet that apparently are load bearing.

I've attached a picture from inside the roof as well as a plan of the walls we want to remove/change.

Any help would be great :)

Attached Files:

2. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

I'd be going off what the "builder" says over random people off the internet after looking at 2 pictures that really don't show alot.

Joynz and Redwing like this.
  3. R.C.

R.C. Well-Known Member

No.

The picture shows roof framing is engineered prefabricated trusses and all the roof load will be transferred to the external walls.

Yeah, a critical but easy question for a builder/ carpenter/ engineer to answer, in preferance to an internet poll from butchers/ bakers/ candlestick makers.

4. FKS

FKS Active Member

In theory your wall between bed 2 and laundry shouldn't be load bearing as your trusses will span in a parallel direction to the wall. There is a chance that your pantry walls are load bearing to break the truss span however as mentioned this will need to be checked. If there's a gap (usually 45mm or so) between the truss and wall, it shouldn't' be load bearing.

As mentioned above though, you should get someone qualified to give you a definitive answer.

5. Rugz06

Rugz06 Well-Known Member

From a builder and those photos, you can nearly guarantee that the pantry and robe are not loading bearing. Although it doesn't look like that internal photo is directly above the robe where the ridge line changes to meal area? Either way, you are going to need a builder/engineer to draw up the plans. They can confirm down the track, and if not, always design a post in if needed.

6. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

If load bearing, put a hanging beam in. Simples.

wylie likes this.