TAS Are these units good buy, appreciate your suggestion

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by ccsben, 4th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ccsben

ccsben Member

Attached Files:

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Any reason why you wouldn't go for something with a land component or something established instead?

ccsben likes this.
  3. ccsben

ccsben Member

Apprecite your question, thatbum.
    Reasons are:
    • only need deposite now, rest of the payment due at the settlement, which is when the construction is completed, so more time for getting the funds ready.
    • very rare to find new development in this developed area. so hoping to get dencent CG over the next few years with relatively good CF.
    • currently Hobart is a selller's market, difficult and epensive to get into good established ones
    • close to our own house, so know the area and like the suburb
    • the information I have is the land should be still between 400-500.

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

So you would be buying off the plan, with all the disadvantages of such - do a quick search of of the forums - the general consensus is that OTP is very rarely a good investment and has many disadvantages.

Plus it looks like its a unit development - some sort of strata? In that case you really don't have any real ownership rights to the "land".

Although admittedly I don't any knowledge of the Hobart market, I would have thought you could use your local knowledge to pick up something much better and established when it comes up.

Beano and ccsben like this.
  5. ccsben

ccsben Member

Thanks, thatbum, certainly it is making me rethink about this...
    I agree even in my own experience, OTP is not very good investment indeed. The problem with the market here I guess is it is very hot atm certainly a lot of competition. So price has gone up quite a lot. So securing some good established one is becoming increasingly difficult and expensive.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Wow thats small. 121m2 for a 4 bedder is tight. That has to affect resale and demand later. Size out a queen size bed and the bedrooms are tight. The master has a tight 600mm each side of a queen.
    Garage / laundry - Garage door width may suit a corolla.
    Deck seems to protrude close to roadway - May be largely non functional

Beano and ccsben like this.
  7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Then don't buy in Hobart. Why buy during a seller's hot market.
    If you must buy something "now" when your finance isn't even sorted, then maybe talk to a respected Buyer's Agent in Adelaide or Brisbane or Perth where you will get a decent investment for that budget that will be a real house on real land and not an OTP unit.

ccsben likes this.
  8. ccsben

ccsben Member

Thanks for the reminder how small inside these units are despite the not too bad landsize.

9. ccsben

ccsben Member

Indeed, buy in the fall, sell in the rise. I'll definitely look into the buyer's agent option for the not doing currently very well market. Appreciate your suggestion.