Are the rents under pressure in Sydney?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by BoatArrival, 12th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

@highlighter might

3. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

Sure....but in 14 years from now (eg 2032)....some people will still be here saying boo hoo property is too expensive and I should have purchase in the 'dip of" 2018, its sooooo unfair property prices have doubled in the last 10 years.

Lets face it people suck at doing maths and cant calculate 8% compound interest.

I only wish I could travel back in time to 14 years ago and smack myself across the head and say.....stop buying gadgets/cars/stuff and save as much as you can into investments because compound interest+time will make your life so much easier in a few years time.

Whitecat likes this.
  4. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

Marcus, I have no problems sharing our figures.

Yes its only anecdotal and its 'type specific" eg all our IP's are in Sydney with older style "red brick" strata eg. low overheads etc.

But like I've said elsewhere NOT ALL Sydney rents are crashing. Our average rental increases for our apartments this year is 1.93%
    All tenants renewed when we sent them the renewal notices.....with the last one in July rocking up to the PM's office to sign the new lease within just 4 days of receiving the rental increase (lol think I could have pushed for an extra $5-$10 a week :) but they are seriously the lowest maintenance of the lot so happy to have them stay on).

To be honest although we are getting extra per week it kind of is a wash with council rates going up a few bucks a qtr and water rates also going up about the same-but that's inflation for you.

Its not all doom and gloom out there folks and as long as you planned for this downturn months/years in advance (eg locking in mortgage rates) its kind of irrelevant.

5. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

As somebody who is going to be moving to Sydney soon 2 beds 2 Bath 2 car for 680 in Surry Hills sounds pretty good. Although I'll be looking for a 1 bed 1 Bath 1 car