WA Are subdivisions a good buy?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Amistry6, 21st Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Amistry6

Amistry6 New Member

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and looking for some advice on buying a subdivided land and building on it. We are basically looking to buy a home in Leeming, Bull Creek or Willeton due to the schools there. One option we are considering is a subdivided plot around 350sqm (10m frontage) and then building on it. The total cost will be around 570 to 590k. As the size of the plot is relatively small, I am wondering whether this will be a good investment and whether there will be demand for it in the future, i.e. me being able to sell it on after 5 or 6 yrs. Anyone with experience in the area and or any suggestions on what to avoid when looking at this option?

Thanks.

2. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    In the areas you have outlined what are the typical dwellings? Are the land parcels all of similar size? What are you actually getting for your 570 - 590k?
    More importantly what are your long term goals?

3. Amistry6

Amistry6 New Member

Hi Taj

Thanks for the response. Typical dwellings in that area are older houses (80’s era) typically 3bdr 1 bath with plot sizes around 700sqm plus. Older houses needing a Reno are around the 550 to 600 mark and those that are refurbished on the original plot go for around 700 plus. For the 570-590 I am getting a turnkey 4bdr 2bath 2 garage house. The area is popular for schools and access to highway and hospitals. Although there are some subdivisions popping up in this neighbourhood it’s still unknown what the long term outlook would be for such a place. Long term goals are to stay here for the next 3 years minimum possibily longer (6-7yrs).

4. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Well seeing as its not your forever home i would probably buy the big block old house and if you can afford to subdivide when you move out. Hopefully values will have increased in say 5 years time and you will be able to subdivide and build 2 homes for around the 1.2 mark. If end values are say 800k in 5 years then you make 400k

If you buy the new house on the small block now and sell for 750 (house may be out of trend by then) then youve halved your gain

Note that the first strategy requires a bit of capital to maximise your profit

Having said all of that - at current values the 590k for the new house on the small block is buying at cost so not a terrible plan

5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

As some people would say

Its all about land land land

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Personally I think land is useless unless it's in demand areas or has some hope for it to be in demand in the future. There is heaps of land around oz worth peanuts.

7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Well yes . Thank you.
    Thoguht that was a given

Cmelderis and Sackie like this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.