Are Routines important ?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 18th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Met a real estate guy this morning who explained to me how a routine is so important in his life... This was after he told me he worked 18 hour days.
    So I asked him jokingly how do you fit it all in .

So he went onto explain..he had a modern fitbit watch or samsung watch thingy on his wrist.

All his day is planned in advance as a routine ... 532am his watch goes off .
    534am to 536am quick cold shower.. Apparently an alarm goes off
    537 black coffee

542am walk to gym..
    Another alarm goes off apparently with new watch!

At the gym he planned his day whilst on the exercise bike va his watch ??thats what he told me...

547am in gym 549am gym , alarms or something and reminders go off on hs watch he told me...brush teeth at 632am etc
    And anyway this went on and on that he actually said to me ...i have 913am Monday available to see you if you like ?
    9:13am I said astonished , 9:13am ?Not 915 or 920 but 913 am ??

Yes he said because at 947 am i have another meeting .

So this guy was weird... Local Surry Hills Real Estate agent .. Young guy ambitious fit looking metrosexual ...But do you have a routine that you follow.
    What about those who dont have routines ?

Is a routine neccessary for success ?
    How many times we have heard people such as fitness trainers say how important a routine is .
    Is it necessary to have a routine everyday... Fast paced.. Wouldnt it drive u crazy?

They say many prisoners in jail like it because theres a routine to follow.
    Someone actually mentioned that about a religion... The religion apparently has a routine which people like so they convert to it .
    Interviews Routines of busy Business people

Last edited by a moderator: 19th Dec, 2015
  2. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

The guy sounds like a robot.

3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

That's one very organised guy.
    It takes a lot of effort to be organised like that so well done to him.

I have my appointments scheduled in and some other things that need to be done on specific days, but nothing else.

4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sounds like you were talking to a door handle..

ellejay and teetotal like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Must be single as no one would put up with that - no room in the calendar for time with someone else.

Last edited by a moderator: 18th Dec, 2015
    mrdobalina and 158 like this.
  6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I do like when I can fit into my rootine an afternoon gaytime, great way to relax after a stressful day ;)

Ben_j likes this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I successfully avoid having a routine every day. Does that count? o_O

8. Darlinghurst Boy

Im like you... I dont have a routine either..but i guess i should in terms of getting exercise .. Having a fitness routine or making it part if the week or day.

But you probaly have a routine at work or a routine of waking up the same time each day .

9. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Nope and nope.

bob shovel likes this.
  10. Darlinghurst Boy

Psychologist Sandra Bornstein says you should have 7 routines in a day ....but they seem like goals Sandra not routines?

In order to reorganize my life, I have to reestablish my daily routine by setting specific times for the 7 priorities in my life.

1. Sleeping. Without a sufficient amount of sleep, I cannot function. I am miserable. Establishing a consistent bedtime and wake up time will make it easier for me to follow the rest of my daily plan.
    2. Eating. Consuming nutritional foods and drinking sufficient amounts of water will keep me more alert and less likely to overindulge in chocolate or empty calories.
    3. Planning. A list of what I hope to accomplish each day will take the mystery out of each day. Knowing that I need to do A, B, & C allows me to set my priorities and then follow through.
    4. Reading & Writing. In order to maintain my blog and my social media presence as well as research my next book, I have to devote a certain amount of time to reading and writing. When I don’t set aside this time, I lose my momentum as a writer, educator, and lifetime learner.
    5. Exercising. The benefits of exercise are enormous. Not only does exercise help to maintain a proper weight and keep me physically fit, it fuels my creativity. Many of my best writing ideas germinate when I am skiing, hiking, or swimming.
    6. Family and Friends. Downtime with family and friends rounds off the day. Having quality time with my husband is essential. Touching base with my adult children is something that cannot be neglected. It is not possible to spend the whole day without communicating with others. Occasionally, I set aside time to volunteer my time.
    7. Me Time. I usually spend this time relaxing. Topping the list are activities such as listening to music, baking, enjoying nature or doing something spiritually orientated. Taking a few moments to appreciate life is vital.

Xenia and Perthguy like this.
  11. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Depends on the individual.

Routine is necessary for me to get things I don't want to do done.

Wake up 5:50, walk the dog until 6:30, go swim 6:35, shower 7am, leave for work 7:35. Without this scheduling in the morning I wont' be able to fit exercise in. The rest of the day is more flexible :)

12. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

I'm a big routine fan. I get up early, get into work early, and leave early. Three days a week I have zumba class; two afternoons a week I teach the flute. Other than those things, however, I am flexible. For me, this is a good mix of routine and flexibility.

13. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

One of the most important differences between successful and unsuccessful people is discipline.

Patamea likes this.
  14. Darlinghurst Boy

And Routines promote discipline I guess in some ways.

15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

That fella descibed in the OP sounds like a real nutter.

Any chance of getting him to join PC? One more wouldn't hurt.

ellejay, drg86, JenW and 5 others like this.
  16. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Routine, yes.
    What that guy describes? No. That's stupid and I don't believe it.
    What happens if he gets caught at the lights? His shoelace comes undone?

17. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Re the RE salesman in the OP.
    How could one possibly create a routine around meetings and sales appointments, etc. And expect to close every single deal possible?
    So if he's close to closing a deal and his beeper goes off, he says - sorry, times up, it's my 18 minute lunch break.
    Can I book you in for 10:17am tomorrow?

ellejay, teg499 and datto like this.
  18. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

I've seen people organise holidays like this, down to the very minute. Crazy.
    But for life having your day organised and ordered does make it easier to achieve your goals. I know when I started going to the gym it was a chore. Then I just got up and went as routine. I'm not a morning person and hated getting out of bed but I had a great day after that.
    I'm retired now (How that's the first time I've said it) as of yesterday and I want to be more organised otherwise days will be wasted I know.
    I started off with a walk this morning. That's my new morning routine which I hope to do wherever I am. Other than that life's very flexible now. :D Coffee anyone?

Bran and Jess Peletier like this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I love spontaneity.... that's a big word for this time of the day:)

20. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Oh dear. I need to wary reading your posts from now on while consuming hot beverages. My screen just got sprayed :p

He could join up here. I reckon he could schedule it in at 5.48am whilst on the exercise bike at the gym. He could also do it during his cold shower as I guess the watch would be water proof.

I have morning rituals such as meditating, exercising and stretching. Aside from that I do whatever I need to do that day (sometimes I use lists) and am always open to see what meet-ups or opportunities the day brings. Some planning and routine is helpful to most people, but there needs to be a balance. I wonder what his cortisol levels are? How stressed would he be if a client was three minutes late or there was traffic? :mad:

teg499 and datto like this.