Are rental returns reliable?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by DrunkSailor, 7th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DrunkSailor

DrunkSailor Well-Known Member

there's a lot of talk about prices falling but what about rental returns? I'm considering some strategies that will provide high rental returns in the current market but my thought process is "will these returns remain consistent during a downturn".

Can we rely on rent or will this also suffer during a flop?

* I'm talking about things like air BnB which have great returns at the moment

Last edited: 7th Feb, 2018
    Perthguy likes this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

In my experience, rents are not reliable. I had a property in Perth that was returning $440 per week during the boom. It is currently returning $280 per week. The thing is that I knew that $440 per week was boom prices that could not be sustained. I used that time to build a cash buffer for when prices dropped.

My understanding is that rents dropped all across Perth. This is something that investors need to be aware of and prepared for.

The Y-man, Citycat88 and Marg4000 like this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Rental rates depend on supply and demand.
    Rents can rise, but can also fall.
    Marg

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

My houses in Perth were fetching $950 during the boom.
    The latest renewal was $590 + 2 weeks free rent. My agent says that they would probably fetch $600-620 today (6months later).
    Throw in a vacancy or two and I would say ‘no’.
    Rents are just as volitile as divs.

Blacky

Perthguy likes this.
  5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I really think this is property and strategy specific though. I don't think a general statement on rental volatility is much help to you.

Whats your strategy exactly?

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Depends what you mean by downturn.....Ask those who bought in mining towns how rents and value is performing. The ACT follows the fate of government spending cuts in public service and consultants or booms when they mention investment. Infrastruture spending is driving some job growth areas etc.

Risk v's reward applies in the chase for high yield. eg Holiday rentals. Yes you can rent for $XX,000s a week. But when tourism declines vacancies abound. Places go on and off trend. Low foreign airfares and package deals mean its often cheaper for a family to fly to Bali, Malaysia etc than to spend 2 weeks on the coast.

Airbnb is a finicky market but can be a strong yield for someone with the time to spend. Its not passive income but requires daily effort. Many airbnb people are competing with hotels etc that charge far higher per night. The rental market has almost no bearing on the daily rate. A glut of Airbnb would harm earnings of course and its geographically based...eg 200 decent airbnbs in St Kilda would be bad news.

Beano likes this.
  7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Noooooo
    Noooooo
    Noooooo

No investment strategy is ever reliable.

8. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Nope.....some people in Sydney...Melbourne...are about to find this out the hard way. .....