Are PAYG installments included in MyTax?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Archer, 29th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Archer

Archer Well-Known Member

Just doing my tax return on the ATO myTax portal. When it calculates the assessment it doesn't seem to include the PAYG quarterly installments I have paid. Is this correct ? are they added in later?

Last edited: 29th Oct, 2016
  2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Have you actually paid them? Are you sure?

Sound like silly questions, but I had a similar issue. After hours on the phone with the ATO it turned out that, for some obscure reason, one of the mailed invoices/statements was returned unclaimed from the address we had lived at for decades. Once that happened the ATO simply stopped sending any more, with no further attempt to contact me. On checking, I had not paid the quarters I thought I had, as our method is to simply pay bills as they arrive.
    Marg

3. Archer

Archer Well-Known Member

Def paid them by direct debit. I think they are not part of the online calculation but get added back later before your get your assessment/refund but wanted to be sure.

Marg4000 likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

MyTax is a low rent web tool. It does not integrate directly with the ATO systems. When you are assessed credit will be given. Same as a few other issues arent managed well by MyTax - eg Medicare Levy Surcharge, Human Services debts, HELP debts (sometimes), existing debts, and private health insurance tax offset over/under claims. etax was similiar

5. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

The PAYG Instalments do not form part of your tax return. So even if they are missed on lodgement they will get picked up when the assessment issues. You can always argue the assessment if it issues so no real stress.

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

However the estimate will be wrong.