Are most windows argon filled now

Discussion in 'Development' started by Keentolearn77, 17th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

just wondering

Is it pretty normal that to reach 6 star energy rating for townhouses that most windows would be argon gas filled...

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Not necessarily related.

6 star rating is achieved by a combination of things - building orientation so living spaces face north, insulation, type of glazing (could be single glazed ‘comfort’ glass, doulble glazed etc, - the important thing is the total window insulation values), type of slab etc.

It’s worked out by plugging values into one of the ratings software systems.

3. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I only know that in Germany most double and triple glazed windows are filled with either argon or krypton.
    I would guess it's the same here, but I have no idea.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Glass is a semi-solid state liquid :confused:. As such, the voids between molecules would not hold gas.

If you're talking factory-sealed double glazed units, the space between the glass is filled with an inert gas as noted above (usually argon as it is cheaper than Krypton but it's safer to use krypton if you have to keep out some superheros :rolleyes:).

Sackie and lixas4 like this.
  5. Keentolearn77

Do argon gas filled windows dble the price of windows vs non gas....

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Compared to single glazed float glass, a Veridian glass will increase the price of the window, so too will using a tinted glass, toughened or laminate depending upon what is required to meet AS1288. The frame section is different, the materials used are different to create a thermal break, the technology involved is 21st century vs 18th century.

Double glazing without a vacuum or gas is not as efficient as a sealed unit but better than nothing. Windows should be a designed system if you are trying to achieve a specific result.

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

My uPVC windows automatically included argon in between the double glazing. I got them to install comfort glass on one side too.

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I think the underlying question you're grappling with is "what else will help me achieve 6 star?"

I've not had double glazed windows suggested to meet 6 star but I have had other suggestions
    1. in WA you can do something called VURB which is a different type of assessment and can generate a 6 star rating
    2. increase wall/ceiling insulation
    3. install fans
    4. change glass to low E glass
    5. improve design (move windows, increase eave depth, lighter roof colour etc)

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

10. Keentolearn77

great article - cheers

11. Big Aussie

Big Aussie Active Member

As usual, a lot of what is written is pseudo-science and often a crock.
    eg: "Argon gas fill does not expand or contract" ROFL.

In practice, the principal advantage of Argon at manufacture is that it displaces air and will therefore contain a lot less moisture. And that means you can use a lot less (or no) desiccant.