Are more people likely to move to regional areas?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by PropDir, 8th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

... and they know Dan??? His now a hero cos his saved the day..... lol

2. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

MTR likes this.
  3. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

My point exactly out of sight out of mind, if only promotions and pay were based on merit. On the ground I see an Us against them attitude from the people at the office towards people choosing to WFH (people are miserable during the lockdown and someone WFH is an easy target)

I really do like the sales reps guys contacting me by phone as I'm less pressured and inclined to buy anything off them "Just send me an email of the deal and I will get back to you or lets discuss when you back on the road" (I generally don't). They can't apply those face to face sales tactics on to me and demonstrate new products. These additional/new sales that are so important for their commission. Bread and butter stuff don't need a sales guy as I would buy it anyway. (I would look for them)

4. Edd

Edd Active Member

Haha, yeah true that.

On a similar topic, Japan to offer $9000 to remote workers in countryside and in Japan you don't leave the office until your manager leaves.

A lot from Canberra will relo by next year.

5. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

6. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

7. BunnyXiao

BunnyXiao Well-Known Member

pretty much. But as you see here the old guard will fight it. Same as Unis don't really need bricks n mortar. Global trends. On line, virtual money....just look at China. Overpriced cities. Rich move in think currency shifts from China and Russia of wealth. Locals forced to the fringes...many documentaries on all this. Under 30s moving to cheaper countries like Thailand, Portugal, Georgia and wherever favourable visas and costs of living are. But no this is not wanting to be heard. So ok I shut up and watch it all happen around me anyway

Toon likes this.
  8. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

9. BunnyXiao

10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Try telling the unis that! :D

Actually - from your perspective, if chinese students could do their course online at Aussie unis - would they? Is it only the great firewall that makes them form over 50% of the cohort at major Aussie unis?

The Y-man

11. BunnyXiao

My point is not being heard. What I am saying has been repeated in many posts. I made no reference to any of the points you made. My point with regards to uni was that all dinosaurs must change and industry shift and changed over the decades. This is another shift as I have said countless times in many posts that seem to be.....never mind. I give up.

12. Edd

Edd Active Member

Anyone has any thoughts on Grafton/South Grafton? No University but has the biggest jail and seems positively geared. Close to Coffs.

13. Edd

Edd Active Member

Was there recently - the diversity seems positive compared to Armidale which was empty. Things seem moving but i also noticed around 10 properties on auction next week. I am guessing one may sell, the rest will wait for 90 days or more. I also witnessed two tenants from hell... Westdale.

14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Hmm.. must have missed your other posts. No malice intended.

Am genuinely interested to know your opinion as I am a front line employee in the sector - and therefore a bit curious about where to turn my career.

We are delivering fully online now (being based in Melb) - and we have joked about the uni selling up the campus (the land is worth a mint in a inner city resi area) - but will Chinese students from what you might know about the sector over there still sign up in a online uni world? As I said, interested as they do form a huuuuge contingent of the cohort here for the big unis.

They want to go back to "small class" (10?) arrangements next year (not just my uni but others I know of) ~ to cater for "those who want to come onto campus" (we the lecturer/tutors don't get a say whether we want to risk exposure) and continue online for those who won't or can't (which we the front line think is a stooopid set up btw). All I can think of is they have the campus and want to make some use of it.... o_O .... although they (the management) keep pulling up news articles and surveys of how students are "clamouring for the on-campus experience"....

On top of that, they are still lobbying the gov very hard to get a corridor opened up for (lucrative) students....

The Y-man

Cousinit likes this.
  15. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Yes but not just Ag boom, Energy generation boom I wrote about this 12 years ago,10 years before it happened, on Sommersoft and was laughed at by the likes of Handy Andy. Sunrayasia is or soon will be generating over twice the the energy that latrobe Valley produces and latter that is expected to double. Cheap electricity means manufacturing and food processing plants are enticed. Chinese students come because they see can the sky, the stars and space. Chinese student pilots learn to fly in Mildura because visibility is too poor for visual flying in China. Medical services and training are booming. A lot of mindless garbage was written about Chinese tariff on barley breaking farmers, but it accelerated a boom in hay production and enabled and hastened lntermodal transport development. The steady stream of Co-vid refugee's from Melbourne became a flood when second lockdown was announced road was like Good Friday for a week and caravan Parks are full in N.W. Vic.

Player, Bunbury, Toon and 4 others like this.
  16. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

You can get access to 30 articles for $9.00

17. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Wonder what people will do when most employers require staff to work from the office 2 or 3 times a week after everything settles down.

18. BunnyXiao

Fargo: Thank you for taking the time to make such a nice explanation. I'm glad things are going so well there. My Yugoslav parents met there in Merbein whilst picking on a friends grape vineyard so I know of the area and old history not recent.

Cousinit likes this.
  19. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

I've got no doubt there will be a bit of that but a lot surely would not want to if they can help it. Dealing with the festering masses of humanity on public transport in Melbourne holds much less appeal as I get older. As Fargo says, regional areas have a lot to offer and are important drivers of the economy. Many capital city people just don't get it IMO.

Angel, Toon and BunnyXiao like this.
  20. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

If you look at the cities history, it has grown in population percentage terms very fast the last few years. I have never been there though:rolleyes:

So you might have been conceived in a wine barrel full of grapes Bunny:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.