Are houses much better than villas?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by martiancrater, 26th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. martiancrater

martiancrater Well-Known Member

We've been looking around for a property in Melbourne (inner east) lately and a few agents have been spruiking the value of houses vs villas with strata. Is it just marketing or do houses have significantly higher % growth over time, even compared with a detached villa of a similar land size?

Does this mean that over time, we'd be expecting house prices to be significantly higher than villas? Would this also mean the difference would get ridiculous eventually (ie. a 300sqm house at $5m vs a 300sqm villa at $2m), or would it equalize eventually?

Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, I'm still fairly new to this - it's always been something I've been curious about!

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

It's not a silly question. Get's asked a lot - and the stats aren't easy to figure out, because they lump apartments, townhouses, villas, whatever, all together....

The main thing restricting major growth on villas is usually because you usually cannot knockdown/rebuild and/or extend.

The Y-man

datto and craigc like this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

With a house, you own the land, and as @The Y-man said, you can knock it down & build what you want, or subdivide if allowed.

4. aving1001

aving1001 Well-Known Member

In case of house you are sole owner so allows potential for further investments. ( knockdown rebuild subdivision)
    Villas are group of dwelling controlled by a strata corporate body. Say if you have 10 villas under the complex you actually own 10% of shares.

5. martiancrater

Becoming my pet peeve when searching! Sifting through all the apartments to find villas (especially when the apartments are referred to as units)

6. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Not all villas are under strata management. So modifications CAN be made.

7. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

When I was selling houses, the demand for lowset, 2/3 bed villas with a double lock up garage was huge. Most only have only one garage and the elderly downsizers wanted the extra storage space of a double garage. A little garden or courtyard area that is accessible from the kitchen is also a winner.

Marg4000 likes this.
  8. martiancrater

I've found a lot of these bigger 2-3 bed villas with little gardens, which actually looks perfect for me. And they seem to be quite a lot cheaper than equivalent houses too!

Is development potential (I assume that means adding on another room or level?) pretty much the main downside of villas, compared with houses? Or are people also a bit hesitant to pay much for villas in general, making the resale value lower?

9. The Y-man

It can also appeal to certain demographics of renters too (eg working couple, no time for a garden etc), and the rental yield can be quite good compared to houses due to the price point.

The Y-man

Hindsight-biased likes this.
  10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Villas are more congested so you don’t get the privacy of a house. In a house you can walk out into the backyard in your jocks and water the garden. Not so easy if you own a villa on a 200 sq metre lot.

People pay $$$ for that privilege.

11. The Y-man

True - but a lot of so called "houses" in new devs are on ~400sqm so the conversations can be heard clearly next door in summer regardless.

The Y-man

Northy85, Marg4000 and datto like this.
  12. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Houses are 41.9% better than villas, which are 28.4% better than single story units, which are (the number of floors ^ 1.4)% better than apartments in multi-storey blocks.

13. Dave Radelaide

Dave Radelaide Well-Known Member

I think you're *broadly* correct but perhaps a little more precision would help the poster:

It's 41.87275%, 28.412835% and ^1.39989575

You're welcome! ;)

martiancrater likes this.