Are big overhead powerlines a turn off?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by jaybean, 6th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I'm trying to make sense of this sale:

Sold 39 Terowi Street, Sunnybank Hills QLD 4109 on 27 Jan 2021 - 2016687602 | Domain

A huge beautiful house on over 1,000sqm in a blue chip Brisbane suburb sold for $730k. My jaw hit the ground when I saw that. I expected $1m or more (and that's being generous).

Then I remembered it has a series of those uber-sized power lines literally along its back fence.

[​IMG]

Obviously this is junk science. But did the buyer get lucky or is this a turn off for most people, along the lines of cemeteries etc? I'm not a superstitious person so I'm kind of tone deaf to the effects of cemeteries, murders, feng shui, coronavirus causing 5G towers etc. I mean I know murders are a big thing but power lines? Really? Could it be...enough to slice 20-30% off the price?! My gut feel was it might impact it by 10% tops, so this is kind of blowing my mind.

Last edited: 6th Mar, 2021
  2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I'm sure the powerlines affected the price but Sunnybank Hills is pretty far out for Brisbane standards.

And not a premium suburb by any stretch - its closer to Logan than Brisbane.

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Yes !
    Was trying to find previous dicussion on tbis to link
    Transmission Pylon and Ppwerlines [NSW]
    In the distance fine
    Being "next door" can limit how close you can build (example, you want to add a carport =no, new colorbond steel boundary fence= no ).

Yes, it will need to be at a discount when buying, as when selling the stigma will reduce the price, can be the same with renting (perception of health issues)

People pay considerably more for views (landscape, river, ocean)
    People don't rush in to buy with views of a commercial area or coal power station........

AxeLy likes this.
  4. jaybean

The demographic there doesn’t care about proximity to CBD. They don’t work there for the most part (I grew up there, I don't think I knew a single adult that worked in town). Think of it like Glen Waverly in Melbourne which is yonks from the CBD.

Last edited: 6th Mar, 2021
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It would put off a LOT of buyers. And affect the price. I wouldn't buy there.

Edit: Clicking through the photos, it needs a lot of money spent to update the bathrooms, kitchen, flooring etc too. It would be interesting to see what neighbouring properties have sold for. I reckon they will all have suffered from the powerline issue for sure, and possibly the "needs a lot of money to update" issue as well.

tvadera, Sackie and AxeLy like this.
  6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Visual blight is what the valuers call it

ta
    rolf

John_BridgeToBricks likes this.
  7. Rolf Latham

Sorta disgree

Pockets have mini hotel type estates instead of single family homes

ta
    rolf

8. No_Limits

No_Limits Well-Known Member

Electricity and health

From link:
    there are some epidemiological (population) studies that have reported a possible association between prolonged exposure to ELF magnetic fields at levels below the exposure limits but higher than what is typically encountered and increased rates of childhood leukaemia. Based largely on this limited evidence the International Agency for Research on Cancer has classified ELF magnetic fields as possibly carcinogenic to humans.

For homes near high voltage (HV) powerlines the magnetic field exposure will vary according to the amount of current carried by the powerline and the distance of the home from the powerline. Generally, homes that are more than 50 m from a high voltage powerline are not expected to have higher than typical magnetic fields

...and that's quite enough for me and most discerning buyers to look elsewhere for a place to raise a family...

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  9. Rolf Latham

Inverse square law suggests that if one is concerned about HV power lines within 100 m of the house, better get rid of all electronics in the house - especially mobiles

ta
    rolf

Scott No Mates likes this.
  10. jaybean

Speaking of neighboring properties, I remember years ago seeing this one sell for "cheap" (it's just down the road):

Sold 3 Grandchester Street, SUNNYBANK HILLS QLD 4109 on 08 Feb 2014 - 2010955074 | Domain

I remember thinking at the time it was a bargain. I wasn't even thinking of the overhead lines at the time, but now it all makes sense.

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Our bodies are like conduits. You don't need to remove all electronics from the house.

We can't live like cave people, but there are ways of minimising the affects, and the biggest benefit is to minimise it whilst sleeping, when our bodies are repairing.

We had our bedroom tested. We had all power coming into the house above our heads and the meter box close by. Turns out those things were not causing a problem, but the cell tower in direct line of sight with our bedroom gave off a very high reading, over 6000.

The reading in a downstairs bedroom was under 200. It just felt different in that room. It has some core filled walls and structure between us and multiple towers just up the hill, sort of tucked down low. We moved downstairs for a trial to see if we felt any difference. We both slept better, right through the night and both felt better in the mornings. We still sleep downstairs.

When we told our sons, one of them went to the pantry and made us some tinfoil hats. But the difference was measurable (via the meter) and we just feel better.

They still think we are crazy, but readings can be proved. How we react to those readings is the part that people believe, or don't.

I wouldn't buy under one of those power lines, but it's getting to the point that we can't escape this problem.

No_Limits, Marg4000, albanga and 2 others like this.
  12. tvadera

tvadera Well-Known Member

I would personally avoid properties close to powerlines and major roads

No_Limits likes this.
  13. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

There is also a lending problem with properties too close to high tension powerlines. Obviously because of the perceived value problem so be very careful as your lender (either via the valuer or direct) may have issues with proximity. Every lender's policy is different so perhaps some of the mortgage brokers on here could shed a little more light on this, but I do know it can be an issue.

- Andrew

14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

And it’s not just the high tension wires in this instance.

A major gas line runs under those towers along the same easement. An engineer neighbour told us that he would be more worried about a gas line fault than the overhead wires.

Both are a major turn-off for most buyers. You will buy cheap, but will one day sell cheap.

15. jaybean

had no idea about the gas. Thanks

16. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

Just had a valuation that came back 15% lower then purchase price because of the powerlines.

See you later

Patrick Bateman and jaybean like this.
  17. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Not Dad, he reckons powerlines are a reminder of man's ability to generate electricity.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.