Are Baths Necessary? Are they outdated??

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by MTR, 6th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You may struggle to sell a home or rent a home to a family with kids and no bath. And even if they dont have kids (yet?) they will think of resale potential, or have grandkids etc

Its like not having a oven/sink/cooktop in the kitchen. Many buyers will find it unusual and have hesitation that it is unconventional. Unconventional homes may be harder to sell.

2. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

My vote would be to have a bath in the house. With that specification of house I believe the majority of buyers would anticipate a bath to be included.

3. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

This is another love-hate question and really there is no straight answer, there are lots of factors involved.

If it is an apartment, unit or even townhouse where there is a pool and space is limited, I will most likely get rid of the bath, and make room for a bigger shower. In fact I would even get rid of the laundry tub so that the Common bathroom/shower becomes much easier.

I have families with kids telling me they bathe their kids in plastic tubs, even kitchen basin. Kids grow-up so fast and you forget you even had a bath. Some Asian kids I grew up with just shower under the tap :p

However, in our PPOR which we did a Reno recently, it has 3 shower/bath and 3 toilets. For a number of reasons we opt for a freestanding 1200mm bath. Well well well, hubby who only use the bathtub twice in the past 9 years, had used it twice in the past 2 weeks!

If you have a charming period home, I'd suggest to have a clawfoot, if you have the room.

Let us know how you go!

Tom Rivera likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But that is what I am getting rid of the clawfoot bath. I understand period homes are charming but not necessarily practicle

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This is what I am thinking

[​IMG]

luckyone, yorkie, Cia and 3 others like this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What is not practical about a bath, regardless of the period of the home?

If you have room for a bath, I'd have one in the house somewhere. Otherwise you are cutting out part of your market when you come to sell.

luckyone, EN710, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Since it is your PPOR then I suggest you do what YOU want.

No bath may be a deal breaker for some, but I don't think you will limit your resale value to any great extent.
    Marg

MTR likes this.
  8. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Will getting rid of the bath enable you to make the shower space extra large? Double headed shower or something? That might compensate for the lack of bath, and then for families with young kids they could put a plastic bathtub IN the double shower while the kids are still really young (my sister's old PPOR had no tub but had a double shower and they dealt with it just fine with their two young kids, which why I wonder if others also might not mind this...)

Plus.... double shower..... win!

luckyone and MTR like this.
  9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My dad is DIY renovating the main bathroom on his 1970's home.

But he left the 1970's vanity in place and tiled around it, didn't touch the bath (which is pink - I suggested respraying it but he says pink will come back in fashion :eek:), and he replaced the dated wall tiles... But with plain white wall tiles 20cm x 20cm (we all suggested larger format tiles). No change to floor tiles which are tiny 1970's style.

I figure... if you are going to renovate a bathroom you should do the whole thing...

Tom Rivera, wylie and MTR like this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Your father is a scream

Tom Rivera likes this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

And he installed his own airconditioning in the living room... but his installation is not level.

And he double glazes his windows (to stop the heat transferring out)... with plastic.... And they painted a feature wall in the living room in a creamy yellow colour to match the yellow 1970's curtains...

Thankfully my siblings have taste...

luckyone, MTR and Tom Rivera like this.
  12. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Definitely not outdated but certain demographics can do without them

13. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I would only have a bath about 5 times a year, so I could live without one, but when I have a flu or achy muscles I would crave a soak in the bath. Our kids don't even use ours its a dust collector, but something I still wouldn't be without.

14. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

I guess it all depends on the individual as my experience is the complete opposite!

15. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

? really

This is one thing the Japanese trump on, they have great combined bath/showers

16. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Why not do a bath in main and none in others ?

PS we have a place now with no bath, rooms are huge, but we often talk about how others would like a bath, I guess they can use the spa outside ? but we are determined to dump that :)

PS PS use laundry tub, I could not imagine leaning over a bath and wrestling with an un cooperative pooch !

If I was doing what you are, keep the floor drains, and the tap pipework (or maybe hide it behind tiles, but know where it all is) keep some spare tiles, pretty easy to add a free standing one again later if need be.

17. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

You should have sent him on a holiday and done it for him, I am tight, but I think what was done is worse than being original :)

I could see our negotiations....15k off as bathroom is atrocious.....him.... 5k extra due to future proof bathroom with rare pink bath and retro tiles :)

18. splatters

splatters Well-Known Member

you would limit your potential buyers down the track. our family has 4 kids and the bath is used daily. would not buy a house (or rent one) without a bath. i am looking at a smaller bath for a small 2BR IP though to save space.

19. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

That design wouldn't sit well witg
    If that was the main bathroom it would be a deal breaker for me.. . Not a fan of open toilets at all.

20. Clueless86

Clueless86 Member

I think that if you will be residing in that house to see out another bathroom renovation (eg 15-20 years) , then do as what suits your needs now and pop a bath in next Reno. But, if I were renovating with the possibility of selling, then for me personally I'd put a bath in at least one of the bathrooms (perhaps the main bathroom unattached to a bedroom).

In saying all that our current place we are renovating (which will be a rental once complete) is 1 bathroom and we were contemplating no bath in it, but have decided to put a bath separate to shower to cater for all markets, plus one of our children doesn't quiet love showers yet so we understand from a family perspective that a bath is worth its weight sometimes.

MTR likes this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.