Are all property educators "spruikers"?

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Lisa Parker, 25th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I think you can find good mentors, and they might not be actively looking to sign people up.
    Spruikers may not necessarily be good, but they're pushing their message and trying to get sales/clients/suckers.

2. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

In my experience -as long as everything is explained upfront (that a fee is being paid) and the option is given to the client to choose -a(fair) fee is ok.
    I , in the past personally
    usually just refer people for nothing (me as a buyers agent to brokers etc)but have realised that human nature unfortunately often takes advantage of the easiest ,cheapest path.(in other words-you get used)
    So coming form both sides of the fence,
    in my opinion, there needs to be a balance but asking for a (fair)fee does not necessarliy mean you are doing the wrong thing and just all out for yr own pocket.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

expensive fees does not mean you will get quality/good service, it means absolutely nothing. In fact there are shonky mentors out there charging massive fees because they can, greed gets in the way of logic.

No research/homework is conducted and they have been operating for 10+ years so they get plenty of repeat clients or suckers.

Magnet likes this.
  4. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

True .
    May i ask MTR where you get yr different profile pics from?LOL

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

just google mona lisa images and other stuff.
    Sim put together some PC stats and it appears I change my avatar just about every day, OMG, that reminds I think I may look another one today:)

Luke T likes this.
  6. Player

Player Well-Known Member

I liked the recent one where Mona Lisa was riding the witches broom in lingerie. ☺

MTR likes this.
  7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Crikey, that's a lot.
    I wonder if there's a way to change our user name?

8. House

House Well-Known Member

Email [email protected] requesting what you want it changed to. Simples :)

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

No self service :(
    ;)

10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Knowing you, you'll have this one too... but just in case MonaLisa.jpg

11. Sydneysummer

Sydneysummer Well-Known Member

Hi Rolf,
    R u mentoring students ?
    I am looking for mentor.

Thanks

12. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

@Lisa Parker i think this sometimes gives rise to a conflict of interest. Property advisors can look like they are giving ‘unbiased’ advice in Property when they are in fact peddling finance. This blurred line between “we don’t sell/push Property” but in actually fact the finance is what is being pedaled under the guise of ‘independent’ Property advice.

13. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

@Lisa Parker @Leo2413 i see the negative impact being the ‘kickback’ received from broking/setting up the loans & lending.

14. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

just for clarity

kickback........ definition I recall is illegal, undisclosed under the table payment.

been a looooong while since I have seen one of them in the licensed/broking finance space

ta

rolf

15. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

@Rolf Latham I not referring to brokers who do a fantastic job. I’m talking about the spruiker variety who claim they are giving Property advice under the guise of actually pedaling finance to their clients detriment and their own gain.

Terry_w likes this.
  16. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Some people think they can follow and learn and it will all happen. Its like sheep. If the front one is a fool the ones at the back are like lemmings they will all end up in the dam. Use your own eyes.

Everyone sells something - Hey I do tax and welcome new clients but I dont peddle bad things to find new clients.

Ask yourself if they have their interests or yours at heart. Anyone who makes $$ by selling property cant be impartial. Open your eyes, ears and take time to evaluate all they say. Go where they recommend and check what property is really worth. Not theirs. Other property.

Likewise there are great brokers out there but a property wealth firm that helps you get a loan is selling far more than a loan. Sometimes they call them a broker. I dont think its someone acting as a broker when they are working for the property firm. Its like negotiating with the fox to buy an egg.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice