Are All Bank Staff This Dumb?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by kierank, 21st Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

We have multiple IP loans with this bank, a serious loan portfolio and over 30 years good credit history.

One of our loans is for $700,000, IO at 4% and we have $350,000 in its Offset (personal cash).

We are contemplating buying another IP for roughly $350,000 including buying expenses.

We went to this bank and ask them to send us their proposal for a new loan for $350,000, IO, with Offset, best rate, etc, given our long and good relationship.

They came back with a rate of 5.22%.

We told the bank we could take out this loan, move the $350,000 from the existing Offset into the new one and effectively buy the new IP at 4%.

We then said we were expecting a rate near/closer to 4% and asked them to sharpen their pencil.

Do all bank staff treat their (good and loyal) customers as dumb OR are they the dumb ones?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

You are a long standing customer of the bank. Unfortunately in this case (and many others), you are just "another customer to be dealt with according to SOP" as far as the staff goes.

The Y-man

kierank, Tink and Terry_w like this.
  3. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Was normal recently. However sounds a little high as of today. The banks have been competitive with the IO rates (tho P&I is even better)

4% IO - is really good!

kierank likes this.
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Being good is expected. Being loyal carries no weight whatsoever. New customers are actually given greater incentives to come over than existing customers.

Ben_j, Adele, adam duckworth and 4 others like this.
  5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Just as an aside

4 % IO IP variable with offset isnt readily available with most lenders

having an existing facility at that rate from the good old days of pre Apra pressures doesnt mean that same lender will or can do the same today

5.22 does seem high though

ta
    rolf

kierank and Terry_w like this.
  6. wa2

wa2 Member

Sydney-Jakarta-Melbourne-Brisbane-Singapore
    Yes they usually have better rates for new customer!! I am in the same situation last time. The front line customer service who pick up the phone won’t be able to do anything nor got any authority to lower the rates. I pretend to be angry and demand to speak with the Bank retention team. I told them that if they don’t give me a better rates, I will take my business elsewhere.

In 5 minutes they lower the rates :)....

Kevvy7, kierank and Perthguy like this.
  7. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

Tip - Show off some money in your bank accounts to the staff members. And show some interest in getting a new credit card/personal loan/insurance etc. You may experience a different level of customer service.
    Unfortunate reality of big corporations - targets/KPIs/bonus is what drives CX.

kierank and KayTea like this.
  8. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I find banks and insurance companies treat loyal customers like a cheating husband treats his wife. Showers the mistress aka new customers with all the fantastic gifts and incentives while the loyal wife aka loyal customer receives nothing. Very crude way of putting it but have had several collegues who recently changed their gas, energy, bank, insurance and etc. Funny how they come up with a better deal once you are adamant that you're going.

Kevvy7, Anthony Brew and kierank like this.
  9. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Talk to the retentions team.

qak, kierank, Player and 1 other person like this.
  10. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I love this team. :)

Zoolander and Perthguy like this.
  11. Perthguy

It's not dumb, it's good business from the Bank's point of view. They treat their customers like they are dumb and lazy and many of them area. I was talking to a mate at work about her investment loans and asked what interest rate she was on. She looked it up and it was nearly 5.5% and asked if that was good. I told her "no", it should have been under 4% at that state. She called the bank manager, who immediately dropped her rate to under 4%. Lazy tax.

So, mostly people will accept what the bank gives them. For the rest of us, the retentions team are allowed to offer better deals.

kierank likes this.
  12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I hope you are talking about the customer retention, not the other type........ :eek:

The Y-man

13. kierank

Might be time to become a new customer for another bank. I have already moved two loans over to other banks; so this one would make No 3.

A great way to them to do business :rolleyes:.

When I was in business, I always taught my staff that it was cheaper to keep an existing customer than go chasing new ones. When will the banks learn this.

craigc, Anthony Brew and wylie like this.
  14. kierank

I thought that too.

15. kierank

I will see whether they will sharpen their pencil first. If not, that will be my next action item. Thanks for the heads-up. Never heard of the retention team before :mad:.

Last edited: 21st Oct, 2017
    Perthguy and hammer like this.
  16. kierank

Maybe one bank might be getting the message:

Suncorp CEO Michael Cameron says keeping Suncorp’s 9 million customers happy is a key plank of his strategy.​

The insurer has a customer retention rate of about 80%, meaning it loses about 1 million customers a year to rivals. Retaining clients within the Suncorp family is a priority.

“At the end of the day… we shouldn’t need more customers to be successful,” Mr Cameron told a business briefing in Sydney last week.​

“What we need to do is keep our existing customers happy, and that is not a new concept.”​

Suncorp chief puts focus on customer retention - Local - Insurance News - insuranceNEWS.com.au

Perthguy and WattleIdo like this.
  17. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I moved from a credit union to one of the big four and wished I had done it earlier. I am yet to regret moving and yet it took me years to build up the courage. I did check there were better options with the bank first though. The service is second to none compared to the credit union who I was loyal due to it being a community run organisation originally. In the end they lost my loyalty due to endless fees and poor service.

18. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Bank staff dont usually care if youre a loyal customer or not. Once had all my loans with St George at 5+% rates, met a broker, and ended up splitting each off to other banks for at least a 0.05% lower rate and extra money in the offset. Had a meeting with my local STG lending manager who booked in all these loans early on to see what could do and the answer was nothing. She did also mention she was gonna churn off to another bank so her commitment to servicing customers might already be questionable at that time.

kierank likes this.
  19. Perthguy

I had not heard of them until I filed a discharge authority to close a loan I had with AMP. I got a call from the retentions team asking what my new interest rate would be. I told them and they beat that rate, so I stayed with them. I didn't want to close that loan anyway.

kierank likes this.
  20. wa2

wa2 Member

Sydney-Jakarta-Melbourne-Brisbane-Singapore
    Before you request to speak with the retention team, you need to check what’s on offer from other lenders. If they ask where are you taking the business, at least you have some ammunition!!! :)

qak, kierank, wylie and 1 other person like this.