Architect or Volume builder?

Discussion in 'Development' started by idev, 8th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Leeroy93

Leeroy93 Well-Known Member

How much does an estimator typically charge as an independant? And do you use them to get an idea of expectations when it the plans go out to tender?

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Not exactly sure tbh as I've been using the same estimator for a long time ( he's a good friend) so I get a very good price. I also get him on some of my devs to help me project manage when I'm quite busy with other projects or out of the country. I can ask him his normal fee structure of you like.

How I work with my estimator is I have a project and I know the budget it needs to stick to. I know what my spec level needs to be and what inclusions I have to have. He will then construct a tender based on what I need and choose the most cost effective materials and building materials to use as well as construction method ( he's a builder too). I get it all detailed out so I know the cost within 5%. Then I tender that out to a few select builders. They come back with a price based on our tender and then we know which ones are reasonable and which ones are not. The ones which a reasonable, my estimator works directly with the builder to tweak things here and there to get it to where we need.

That's the short of it.

Brady, craigc and Archaon like this.
  3. Leeroy93

Leeroy93 Well-Known Member

That would be brilliant if you could PM the contact. I like the set-up to have confidence you're not being under or over quoted. I'm going to tender soon (via architect) so it would be great to have an independent review and a process like you describe to vet them. The estimator would likely have an understanding of the right way to go about things so it would be great to at least have a chat.

4. kkbk2000

kkbk2000 Member

Hi Idev did you manage to involve an architect or did you go with volume builder?

5. idev

idev Well-Known Member

Hi kkbk2000, I am going through the architect.

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  6. croseks

croseks Well-Known Member

What are your expected total build costs if you don't mind sharing?

I have contacted a few of the volume builders (Metricon etc..) and 'custom' builders (Thomas Archer etc..) and the best prices I got back are $780k for double story dual occ, 3 bed, 1 garage and $840k for 4 bed, 1 garage.
    These prices are for build only, not including demolition, subdivision, landscaping, council etc... doesn't sound very cheap at all :eek:

7. Nhan Ho

Nhan Ho New Member

@Sackie is your estimator in Melbourne? If so can you please PM me his contact too?

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

No he's not.

9. idev

idev Well-Known Member

I am guessing on avg in Melbourne its approx $15-18K per SQUARE to build a good medium finish double story house plus demolition, site costs. I had this sort of idea from West Urban who builds lots of townhouses in Eastern side.

craigc and Lone_Wolf like this.
  10. purkulator

purkulator Well-Known Member

This may be biased as I was told by a volume builder that if you go with an architect you would have to go with a local builder - they will likely charge 7-8k more per sqm than a volume builder by 60sqm would equal 420-480k more to build!
    See below

11. James Cavill

James Cavill Well-Known Member

Simply not true. Or if it is based on some tangible experience - the comparison between the products wasn't equitable.

It's a nice sales pitch isn't it? It's what we all want to hear isn't it? Use me, I'm better, cheaper and I deliver a better product faster....

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  12. purkulator

purkulator Well-Known Member

Very true