Architect or Volume builder?

Discussion in 'Development' started by idev, 8th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. idev

idev Well-Known Member

Looking to develop two double story townhouses. Not sure if best to go with volume builder like Metricon, Simonds etc who do the dual occupancy and do all work from start (design, plan, permit) to finish or go with an architect/draftsman/townplanner then look for a builder for construction.
    Not sure if Metricon can easily customise their design to best the land size/site requirements/restrictions whereas I think architect will design from scratch to best fit the plan.

Will appreciate the advise of people on this forum.

Thanks

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

How wide and deep is the site?

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Depends on the site, the type of other properties in the neighbourhood and what you actually want.

Archaon, Simon Moore and Tufan Chakir like this.
  4. Arnel

Arnel Well-Known Member

Hey, I always advise my clients to get plans done then shop around.

5. idev

idev Well-Known Member

Thanks all for responding. Site is in Whitehorse council area and has some vegetation, not sure in case if any vegetation is required to be retained then how much changes Metricon or Simonds etc can made to their design etc.

6. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Spend a tad on an arborist report, work out what has to stay and what can go, first thing I do when obtaining DA

Tufan Chakir and Archaon like this.
  7. idev

idev Well-Known Member

Approx 16 m wide and 50 m deep

8. idev

idev Well-Known Member

had a arborist consultation who advised most trees are low retention value. will get a formal report done when either architect or volume builder is engaged.

9. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Depends on who you see the quality of the outcome impacting on price. Bespoke housing/development is more often than not, better. Volume builder is just that, less care, they are selling their product (that's their motivation). Consider the location, the market and intended sale pricing - then choose, cheap and "quick" - but remember you'll pay for every "extra" along the way (these are the hidden costs of volume builders - like driveways...). Bespoke - purpose built, squeeze a bit more out of the land...higher end value

lixas4 likes this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They're also better positioned to retain essential vegetation for greater market appeal (established plantings).

Tufan Chakir and Joynz like this.
  11. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

Metricon can customise a little AFAIK however cost of variations can outweigh benefits of going to volume builder in first place. We did bespoke 3 x townhouses in Whitehorse with Costas Constructions (who are in Burwood East).

Stoffo and Tufan Chakir like this.
  12. idev

idev Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your response. How are 'custom' builders like Westurban who do everything from design, plan/permit to construction. Carter Grange also do custom and everything but I found them expensive based on their display townhouse costings.

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  13. Paul Mete

Paul Mete Well-Known Member

Hi idev

This is a good question without one distinct solution.

In fact there are Architects and there are Building Designers, also there are Volume Builders and Boutique Builders. Four basic options!

It does depend on a number of factors.
    At the end of the day $MONEY will have a big say in which way to go.
    Second factor is time/effort. Turn Key services and prices are helpful and can be offered by all four options depending on the circumstances.
    If you are happy to do a lot of the running around and can handle some headaches then there should in theory be a reward for this.

Check the price and lean towards services with "runs on the board". Particularly industry professionals that have developed in a style you like.

PAUL

14. frank22

frank22 Well-Known Member

Same dilemma, in the end went architect but certainly not the cheapest.
    Design and paper work, i am looking at $20k
    Didnt want shortcuts too much ar stake

15. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Think of the fee as just another "trade", $20k for Architect, $5k for engineering $15k for plumber, $30k for concretor...that way it won't "hurt" so much. It's not an add-on luxury, it's an essential part of the project - you're paying for quality compared to the cheapest price. The end product should reflect that investment.
    Looking forward to reading about the on-going journey

Cameron Goodison and frank22 like this.
  16. Randall Zheng

Randall Zheng New Member

Great topic here. I would definitely shop around and look at inclusions that come standard.

End of the day, if the project looks better, can you sell it for more and thus make a larger profit?

Definitely, a cost-for-reward comparison is to be considered....

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Nov, 2019
  17. idev

idev Well-Known Member

Sorry guys for being away for a while. I am currently going through an architect and satisfied with his work. Once plan/permit is filed, I will start shop around with builders. I think some builders do working designs too and possibly at no cost (guessing must be absorbed in the construction costs), so might go to builder when plans are done.

Lone_Wolf and Cameron Goodison like this.
  18. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Some architects won't look at cost effective designs, they will design you exactly what you want, this can end up costing a lot more to build, cost/benefit argument.

Propin, Ricky Ng and Silverson like this.
  19. idev

idev Well-Known Member

@Archaon thanks. True and I am aware of these and careful with what I am asking and at the same time my architect also advises when I ask for something which won't add value and would add the costs.

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

This is why all my preliminary drawings are vetted by my estimator before I approve them. Most of the big construction costs need to be managed right at the beginning.

And even then, there's always something ugly that will make an appearance at some point in the build. Better fewer of these than more.

Archaon likes this.