Architect engagement process

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Burramys, 4th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

I'm having a small PPOR improvement done, under $20,000, with the main details reasonably certain. The local council has advised of their requirements. However, I am unsure of the smaller details, and will need to discuss these with an architect, probably a local one. The plans I have drawn are adequate in that they convey what is needed. The job specification is quite detailed. Both will probably be varied with professional advice.

For other jobs such as a HWS and a sparky replacing the lights, quotations were obtained. Is this apt for an architect? Should I get estimates? I want a good price and also to be fair to the architect. TIA.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Contact Archicentre in your state for a few referrals or seek out an architectural drafty from the local rag/hi-pages /airtasker /pub/ park bench.

AxeLy likes this.
  3. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

A registered Architect will be $$$, a draftsman is what you want for a project of this size.

AxeLy likes this.
  4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of going through this process now. Is it any wonder people just do things without approval? Example:

Draftsman $3000
    Surveyor $2000
    Struc Eng $2000-3000
    Private Certifier or Council $2500-3000
    Maybe a Hydraulics Eng $2000

AxeLy likes this.
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I agree with @Anthony416 I don't think you need the services of an architect but instead a draftsperson - they are qualified to design to the building codes and accepted by council.

AxeLy likes this.
  6. Burramys

Thanks you all. The distinction between an architect and draftsman was unknown to me. I've contacted four draftsmen. One is unavailable and no replies from the other three; they may be on leave. I'll wait for a week or so and if no reply then I'll use places like Hi pages.

The word "architect" is gender neutral. The word "draftsman" is not. Is the word "draftsman" acceptable, and if not, what word is better?

7. Westminster

Draftsman is still widely used but I tend to use draftsperson as the more gender neutral
    Most would be on leave now as they tend to follow construction timelines and most construction trades are on leave until 11th.

8. Burramys

Westminster, thanks for the two comments. I will wait until next week for the draftsperson reply.

9. Burramys

It's still slow getting quotations. maybe next week.

The job is reasonably simple, and I have a builder's estimate of everything - plans, permits, build - of $15-25,000. There's about 35 square metres under and next to the eaves, and a 20 square metre verandah, a roofed pergola, just the roof. The eaves part is extending and enclosing the eaves to provide storage areas.

I sent preliminary plans and pictures, asking for a quote for drafting. One drafting company sent this:
    Property information
    Survey
    Site measure
    Sketch plan
    Planning drawings
    Plan review
    Planning application
    Plans
    Energy audit (not applicable)
    Bushfire assessment (not applicable)
    Soil report
    Engineer (why?)
    Finalise drawings
    Building permit
    Building application
    Total $15,000

This seems to me to be beyond a simple drafting job. I want someone to attend, measure, look at the site, look at what I want to achieve, advise me, and prepare plans based on my decision, which I will base on their advice.

I've had something like this before with a reno. Tiling was needed for the bathroom and kitchen, and the company quoted for:
    - supply of wall tiles (they were in the rooms);
    - supply of floor tiles (lino had just been installed);
    - painting (just been painted);
    - a new shower (not in the job specification);
    - new vanity (this was on site); and
    many other unnecessary things.
    The quote was $15,000 for the bathroom (they did not quote for the kitchen), and I got the job done for both rooms for around $4000.

Is is usual for drafting companies to do the things in the above quotation list? Is the price too high?

10. Westminster

If you have plans from a builder then why do you need a draftsperson? Surely the builder can do sufficient plans to get council permit?

11. Spad

Spad Well-Known Member

12. Burramys

Westminster, the plans I have are made by me. Advice about a number of design aspects best comes from a draftsperson. Spad, for some reason I had missed Superdraft in my search. I'll contact them.

13. Burramys

The process continues ... slowly. Quite a few established firms did not reply.

I now have two draftspeople on a shortlist of two, just the drafting, $2000-2500, much better than $15,000. One said that a survey is needed, $1000-1200. After over a decade of renovations (most non-structural and internal) I've never needed to go though this process. Until now it's been me, sparky, plumber, tradies, simple.

Can someone please advise why the survey is needed for relatively minor additions to an existing house? Also, who normally arranges the survey and submits documents to council?

A water easement runs along the back fences of my property and those to the sides. Maybe 60% of owners have a structure over the easement, some big, some small. Mine is a shed on a slab, about 3 X 2 metres. Will this be an issue when the survey is scrutinised by council?

14. Scott No Mates

• Confirm you don't have encroachments
    • Identify boundary & setbacks
    • Locates the windows of adjoining properties
    • Provide contours (for drainage, footings up to floor level)

lixas4 and bmc like this.
  15. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

@Burramys

you can arrange a survey or leave it up to your builder or draftsman. they may have a Surveyor they regularly use.

An experienced surveyor will know the minimum required for council submission and in NSW only a Registered Surveyor can specify the boundary location on the plan.(ie: setbacks to existing structures)

you may even require a final survey to check compliance once built.

Sackie and Scott No Mates like this.
  16. Burramys

Thanks. The contour advice made me smile. There's a drop of 72 mm in 6.3 metres, flat. The fences have been there for decades. My understanding is that when a boundary has been defined by a fence, after a period of time this is taken to be the boundary, even if it's slightly wrong. If so, the boundary and encroachments will not be an issue. There are no neighbouring windows relevant to the proposed job. Setbacks have been informally approved by council.

Is it better to get the plans made and then have the survey or vice versa?

17. Scott No Mates

Beforehand, so the designer has all the information at hand before putting pen to paper.

bmc likes this.
  18. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

usually survey is first as the council, building designer, or hydraulic engineer will never know what exists on site unless they have reliable and current information provided by the surveyor.
    they will all use the information to make their assessment or preliminary design as the case may be.

In NSW a torrens title boundary is defined by survey relating to the original dimensions of the subdivision plan and is irrelevant as to where a fence has been built. (simply put)
    (old system title is a different kettle of fish)

if you are in VIC, survey law is different and @lixas4 is best to advise on this.

lixas4 likes this.