Apra changes

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Silverson, 29th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Or a teacup in the storm?

This is only "stage 1" of course... they'll wait a little, see what happens. Then they'll go harder with other measures.

I think at the moment it's just a bit of political posturing from the Government behalf, coming up to a Federal Election. Be seen to stop rampant house growth to win some votes from the younger demographic. Frydenberg was only pulled in at the last minute.. funny that.

Also IMF, etc having a whisper in the banks ears I think would have an affect. now they can say they have done something on their end.

Where it actually falls in 2022 is anybody's guess..maybe a chance of Federal Government will also subdue the market a bit.

Anyhow, general inflation is going to rise massively in the coming few years no matter who is in charge..rates will go up, it's better to prime things earlier rather than later.

Observer and Pernoi like this.
  2. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

thanks for the article, interesting read.

I think the OO loan data falls are associated with long lockdowns. Much harder to transact when inspections are difficult, particularly in major capitals. There has been a big surge in enquiry/people getting ready though, preapproval lodgements are well above normal levels in Sep/Oct. I think the OO lending demand will spike again come Nov/Dec as a result, in line with other ‘catch-up’ type economic activity.

Observer, Graeme and oracle like this.
  3. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Are you seeing any change in those buying up in QLD or regional areas as Sydney and Melbourne get ready for opening up?

Do you think this trend will increase, or start to slowdown as people are able to more easily buy/inspect a bit closer to home?

4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

If the exit from last year's lockdown in Melbourne is anything to go by, prices just outside the metro areas will take off, as will good houses with a bit of space. The main type of property that hasn't done well is high density appartments.

craigc, Observer and gman65 like this.
  5. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

Opinion & Commentary – The Centre for Independent Studies

"The biggest fault is that this is yet another policy aimed at managing demand for housing. And, as my colleague Peter Tulip and others have demonstrated extensively in recent years, the problem is not on the demand side, but on the supply side.

To be specific, by far the biggest issue contributing to high house and apartment prices is restrictive zoning practices. Tulip and Kendall estimated zoning added 73% to the cost of housing in Sydney and 69% in Melbourne."

New Town likes this.
  6. Bluechips

Bluechips Well-Known Member

WattleIdo likes this.
  7. Alex AB

Alex AB Well-Known Member

Interesting read. Perhaps some restriction for LVR will be next if they need to tighten further, especially high LVR for investors.

8. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

9. Bluechips

10. Bluechips

https://www.apra.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-11/Macroprudential policy_consultation_0.pdf

The draft of the new lending limits. Can just read the last two pages.

"
    5. For residential mortgage lending, an ADI must ensure that it has the ability to limit the extent of lending in the following loan types:
    (a) lending with a debt-to-income ratio greater than or equal to four times or six times;
    (b) lending with a loan-to-valuation ratio greater than or equal to 80 per cent or 90 per cent;
    (c) lending for the purposes of investment;
    (d) lending on an interest-only basis;
    and (e) lending with a combination of any two of the types specified in (a) to (d).

6. For residential mortgage lending, an ADI must apply a buffer over a loan’s interest rate to assess the serviceability of a borrower. The serviceability buffer must be applied to the interest rate on the loan to be paid by the borrower, ignoring any discounted introductory rates offered for a limited period at origination of the loan. The level of the serviceability buffer must be at least 3.0 per cent, unless determined otherwise by APRA. APRA may vary the minimum level of the buffer between 2.0 and 5.0 per cent.
    "

11. Alex AB

Alex AB Well-Known Member

I don’t see any lending changes from this APRA paper, they just tell banks to get systems in place to implement what APRA might do. It lists down parameters that they will tweak when needed through.

12. djyella

djyella Well-Known Member

FYI my broker just showed me new interest rates.

2 year fixed up to 2.69% from around 2%.

13. Bluechips

Yea it's a new framework APARA set up for any future measures they may implement if necessary.
    I'm feeling DTI is definitely on the agenda and it will depend on how the market is doing the next a few months. A bit like a warning shot... But I don't see the market is flattening... Some people are still offering silly price due to fomo. Just IMHO, the serviceability buffer should be increased to 4%. Its an effective brake to slow down the market...

14. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

having been around a while, I have seen assessment rates in the late 9s and early 10s........

Be careful what we wish for

If we are going DTI caps, we really need a 2 tier strategy

DTI cap for new purchases, LOWER DTI cap for $ for $ refis, otherwise APRA will end up trapping folks into mortgage rates they dont need to pay.

If a best Interest Duty applies to Mortgage Brokers, perhaps that same duty should apply to regulatory measures to protect consumers ?

ta
    rolf

15. PeterCr

PeterCr Well-Known Member

APRAs new Capital Adequacy Framework (APS112 and APS113) may have some impact on certain types of Loan Products in the coming few months. Focus is probably on
    1. High LVR (80% and above) Investment Loans
    2. IO Investor Loans

The Risk Ratings according to the banks will rise and banks may be required to keep Capital Aside to cater for these high risk loans (IO/Low LVRs) probably resulting in higher borrowing costs for customers (Potentially higher rates?).

Banks are offering Tiered Interest rate pricing with sharper pricing for Lower LVRs Loans.

With Banks asked to keep Capital aside based on their loan portfolio - Banks Net Interest Margins will be squeezed and they may tinker some of their product pricing moving forward (Fixed Interest rates probably was the first of the changes I suspect).

Last edited: 30th Nov, 2021
  16. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

In summary, investment rates will increase next year, especially interest only.

17. PeterCr

PeterCr Well-Known Member

I suspect most investor loans may have some increase. OO may be spared for the short term.

Terry_w likes this.
  18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Here are my thoughts, seeing some of this already in play:

1. Variable rates will creep up 5-25 basis points to restore bank margins
    2. Fixed rates will creep up where even 1 and 2 years fixed rates will be within cooee of variable rates both OO and IO
    3. Lending scrutiny will be increased significantly.
    4. People will be find they will be able to borrow 10-20% less.
    5. Top end market will be scrutinized the most.....goes without saying Sydney...Melbourne.....and Brisbane....better suburbs scrutinized the most.

Silverson and ParraEels like this.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF