APRA changes ?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by euro73, 21st May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

You'd need to be on a variable rate of 2.9% or lower to get to the floor rate though

2. Lucki

Lucki Well-Known Member

While I don't expect credit to get easier, I do anticipate that more will be allowed to be borrowed. How much is the big question, but lot will depend on individual circumstances. I suspect it is taking time within lenders to tweak their processes, policies and systems to allow their new calculators to work seamlessly.

I've been playing with a couple of calculators from non bank lenders and for our own scenario, our capacity has gone up by about $120K by my rough calculations based on floor rates dropping to 5.75%. I have no plans or in no hurry to use up the extra borrowing capacity, but will be interesting to see what the numbers look like with lenders using even lower assessment rates like 5.30%.

3. Lucki

Lucki Well-Known Member

Another 2 - 3 months and we may indeed see rates around the 2.9% mark more commonly.

4. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

APRA should have made a sensible decision to allow flexibility to allow banks to refinance existing loans at the same amount where payments are up to date and financial circumstances haven't changed.

They've effectively locked people into staying with their current lender if they can no longer pass servicing for their existing loans due to the policy changes.

Chomp and Bender12 like this.
  5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

The banks (obviously) aren't complaining.

6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Assessment rates dropping means borrowing power increases slightly. About 5% - 15%.

It has nothing to do with easier credit. That's only gotten harder.

7. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Can anyone advise if these changes actually been applied to the bank calculators yet? For example is it worth me going into WBC yet for a top up? Thanks

8. FXD

FXD Well-Known Member

I've heard that WBC is updating its HEM again next week and it may be "less" strict than current one. ANyone got winds of this ?

9. Chomp

Chomp Well-Known Member

That's the problem right there you used the words APRA and sensible in the same sentence.

If they did implement this then then the RBA probably wouldn't have had to drop the cash rate again.

It would be interesting to see a percentage of mortgages which can not be refinanced after the changes.

shorty likes this.
  10. Lucki

Lucki Well-Known Member

HEM only goes up as far as I know, and not down.

11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Any mainstream lenders out there relaxing lending/refinancing criteria in light of COVD19 and the cash rate being lowered to 0.25%?

12. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

breathe :)

ta
    rolf