Approx cost for changing front door direction

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Vishh, 25th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I was just researching on estimated cost for changing direction of front door in a single storey brick house.
    Anybody here did that kind of reno?
    As seen in below image, want to change as marked.

upload_2020-11-25_15-40-48.png
    Cheers,
    Vish

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Why would you want a door that opens straight into a lounge room and not the entry foyer? That entry and the whole side of the house immediately becomes very, very dark and oppressive.

craigc likes this.
  3. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

I can see what you are trying to achieve. The current entry is not obvious when walking up the steps to the porch. If you feel the new door position is the best alternative then I would swing it from the opposite side so you still have some privacy in the lounge from the porch. You could also fill the old door location with patterned glass or glass bricks to maximise the light.

Vishh likes this.
  4. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

hmm, didnt thought about light part. But without chaning any other part in any other room, will the light get impacted? I dont plan to close the doo with brick, but with glass or some stuff. I have seen some houses done similar stuff .

5. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

Yes good point. I didnt thought that. That will do. Any idea on how much I should keep aside as approx cost? Can I get it done in 5k-6k?

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Things like flooring etc will all impact cost. Is the wall brick veneer ? External light ? A door so close to that window (sliding ?) to porch may not work. The wall may lack integrity.
    A builder is best to advise on the issues.

Would a wider door opening be better in the existing position ? ie 1200mm so its still private but more obvious ? Cheaper to do and structurally may be easy as a cut out to existing bricks

Front Large Archives - Doors Plus provides some examples of before / after

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Do we need council approval to change the location of a doorway, it would not be cutting into brickwork.