Applying for rental, what helps?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by JesseT, 11th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Are dishwashers really that important?
    I'm just use to washing up all my own dishes (even though i have a dishwasher).
    Between us, we might use 2 bowls, 1 plate.... per night, seems like a waste to turn on a dishwasher for that.

I also have a habit of rinsing the plates before i put them in the dishwasher (I hate it when i see people putting in crusty plates at work!)

WattleIdo likes this.
  2. VeronicaR

VeronicaR Well-Known Member

yes it is probably different in Sydney :) our rent is under 300 a week. We have one room for us, a study, a spare room (which is often occupied by guests on the weekend) and one room for junk. Is it excessive? Probably, but we enjoy the space and we do entertain a fair bit.

3. VeronicaR

I wouldn't live without a dishwasher...that's why we bring ours with us wherever we go :). No need to rely on the landlord.

4. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Offering to pay 6mths rent up front is hard to knock back...

legallyblonde likes this.
  5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

That is true, I've taken on two tenants with zero rental history because they offered 6 months - however the decider was still the PM's gut feeling on them. :)

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Find a landlord that's desperate!

What deters people here from pets? That may help give them an idea as i think that's a big part.
    Perhaps submit a photo of the actual dogs so your not BSing about them, then vet records, council rego etc.

Is there a pet bond in nsw? if so offer a bigger pet bond perhaps as good gesture?

WattleIdo likes this.
  7. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Interesting, I have never considered too few tenants for a 4 bedroom house was a problem. I have a couple in a 4bedroom house and a single parent with 2 children in another 4bed house. Some people just want a little space. I could be wrong but in my experience students are more likely to try to sub let.

8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Single parents with two children in a 4 bed house is fine to me.

No parent would deliberately put their children's in harms way.
    Maybe its me, but i just can't picture a person who would sub let rooms to get a few extra $$$ in cash, in exchange for having a complete stranger being around their children.

Like it said, its more a couple (who would share a room) and then have 3 bedrooms spare that would cause me to think twice about what their true intentions are.

I have nothing against house sharing.... just don't use my IP for it :)

9. Jkat

Jkat Well-Known Member

I think offering a pet bond or agreeing to things like:
    - professional carpet cleaning at the end of the lease to get rid of any pet smell etc.

I've also seen some owners do a 'pet profile' about their animals to show that they are responsible owners and that their pets won't do damage.

10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Offer to do receipted sanitizing at end of lease.

The Y-man

legallyblonde likes this.
  11. LATS

LATS Well-Known Member

I've recently taken on a tenant with a dog - in my brand new property (yaks).

They went through the agent to ask about it. What they provided were:
    - cover letter
    - photo of their dog to show relative size and age (they claim it's an old dog who now just sleeps all day)
    - photos of their current rental showing beautifully cleaned and maintained inside and out
    - letter from current agent providing reference.

It could be all deceptive, but they've gone through enough effort to try to paint a picture for me. Obviously I relie my agent to do proper checks as well.

12. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

We got a cat a few years ago and it was the worst move we made in regard to being able to rent easily. Suddenly 95% of properties vanished for us. Just flat out no way no how. It was really quite hard.

But I do understand it. I've been to houses where you walk in and can smell the pet urine that is not confined to a litter tray. The current place we're living the bottom of the bathroom door has been chewed by the previous tenant's dog and the glass sliding door has been badly scratched.

No pet, no problem like that!

We couldn't even pay our way into some places. Six months rent, a year upfront - nope.

So... you have two dogs... I think you have to just keep applying and hope you get a landlord who likes pets. It took us a while.

13. VeronicaR

We have 2 cats and a dog... I guess we are doomed! We did find it impacted us but we found something eventually. Most people don't seem to realise how much a difference having DESEXED animals makes in terms of smell/spraying.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia