Education & Work Applying for jobs - any way to know if the manager will be amazing?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 1st Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi, a question.
    Say I'm looking for a job but I only want to work for an amazing manager - is there any way to find out which managers are amazing (or is there a way to filter out roles with bad or mediocre managers) before going to the effort of applying for roles?

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Generally well respected companies doing well will have good management ( though not always). Personally I believe it's a waste of time trying to control something that you have no power over. Choose great companies and then be the best you can be. If management dont recognise your value and reward it in time, simply move on.

Ben_j likes this.
  3. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Well that would be convenient now wouldn’t it!
    Of course, as you already now it is not possible.
    In addition, a great manager will mean 2 different things for 2 different people, so there is no way to know in advance if your manager will be aligned with your expectations or will have different traits.

Best you can do is try to get a feel - and ask important questions - during the interview.

4. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I know this is not always a good indicator, but I would ask about the staff turnover or ask the contact person the reason why they need to fill the role ie mat leave, growing business needs or etc.

I generally find that good managers are able to retain staff for a number of years and a lower staff absenteeism overall.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

See if you know anyone who knows anyone who works for that manager.

Then make contact either directly or through the mutual contact and ask that employee about their experiences re. Manager's style and approach.

However, what makes a manager great for one person might make them a nightmare for others. It's a bit subjective, so consider what questions you ask.

Also, in the interview ask questions of the manager about the work style they use and what they prefer in their team. In other words, gently interview them to check the 'fit'.

After you are offered the job, or at second or third interview stage (I.e. before accepting the role) ask to meet the manager for coffee and have a chat to get to know them a bit better.

Gockie likes this.
  6. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

All good ideas but there's no way of knowing until you start the job. I've been told more lies at interviews by HR and managers than I want to think about. Always pays to see if you get along at interview but people lie a lot to get people in the door. Not always but frequently enough. Start the job and the manager can change the next day. No guarantees looking for a new job, always risky but sometimes staying in a current job is a worse fate.

bob shovel, Sackie and Kassy like this.
  7. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Woops, suggest doing a job trial/ casual placement with them if you can be permanent contract might help.

8. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I see good managers like good bank managers.

You finally find one and they then get transferred, promoted or just move on.

Then they are replaced with a dud :( :(.

mikey7 likes this.
  9. Gockie

In which case, move with the manager :)

kierank likes this.
  10. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

This will only happen if you are a good/exceptional employee :)

11. Gockie

Well, I love the rapport I have with mine, and I've recieved performance reviews with him that I'm very happy to read. So there wouldn't be a problem in that sense. I'd previously also has great rapport with another manager in another company, and he would openly praise me. So it wouldn't really have been a problem to move with him either. However I think it would come down to whether or not the new area/company had a suitable role for me though.

The situation with me at the moment is that I'm just ready for a new challenge. Learn something new.

Last edited: 1st Oct, 2017
    kierank likes this.
  12. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Best chance you have of working with people you know you'll like is to build up a network in your industry. I've worked at 4 places in the last 5 years, all through my network. Managers haven't always been great, but the teams definitely were.

13. LIDM

LIDM Well-Known Member

Tried checking out your connections on Linkedin to find a mutual contact?

The Y-man and Zoolander like this.
  14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd agree... Stalk them on LinkedIn. Unless you know who they are, it's a bit difficult beforehand however if you are looking internally, you WI find some mutual contacts.