Applications for Partial Release

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by smallbuyer, 9th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. smallbuyer

smallbuyer Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have heard people mention some banks are asking financials/applications for partial releases of loans or security exchanges. Can anyone share any more light on this as given the recent changes to serviceability rules this could be very scary for some. Also if you are taking time off (or lose your job) and want to sell.

Cheers,

Smallbuyer

2. smallbuyer

No one has had any issues when releasing or exchanging security? No requests for a new application or some financials?

3. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Depends. I've heard of it happening but haven't had any client experience this. In the end - don't cross collateralise your loans and you won't be impacted by this for the most part with partial releases.

4. smallbuyer

Yes always better not to cross. Unfortunately a lot of people still have crossed loans and need to deal with another nasty rule change.

5. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Thanks for raising @smallbuyer - does sound a little unusual.

The partial releases on an x-coll loan setup relates the equity/deposit side of the equation, not the servicing/borrowing power part. Doesn't make too much sense to retest servicing, it really should be evident (by the fact repayments have been met through the loan period on the existing debt).

Which bank was this? Perhaps the request for financials may have been related to loan changes associated with the partial discharge (e.g. extending IO terms, etc on the remaining loan?).

6. smallbuyer

Nothing i have experienced personally thankfully just something someone mentioned in passing which i though was concerning. If you arent asking for extra funds and banks start taking more and more opportunities to servicing checks that is concerning. Requests for longer IO periods make some sense as your repayment will be higher when you eventually start P&I but if they start doing a lot for other things it could be scary. What about if they do it for other things like moving into an investment property or out of your PPOR

7. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

The scenarios that I've known it to happen has been with retired individuals or self employed with significant changes (business sold and employed differently).

They've forced the borrowers to use sale proceeds to pay down other secured debt despite LVR being below 80%.

8. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I had Bankwest request financials 6 months ago for 4 x properties (unencumbered) I moved elsewhere, in order to see if client could service the remaining debt for the 6 x properties we where not moving.

Remaining 6 properties with an LVR of only 50% as well. Was all x-coll but not by me, another broker.

Responsible lending gone mad.

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We are waiting right now for an answer from Westpac to whether we can substitute one IP (in my name) for two in hubby's name.

We want to develop the block without having to ask the bank for permission to reconfigure and issue new titles. These loans and securities were long ago crossed (before we knew better) and we've not needed to change things until now.

The only question apparently is how we get around offering a title in my name, how to make it work. I think they are talking about a guarantee.

I've told our broker that if they want a new application, we will leave things and get around it another way. I'd just prefer to have the titles unencumbered so we can do our thing in our own time without going to the bank to ask permission to do anything..

10. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I got a feeling they may want to check serviceability as we all know that the goal posts have changed and banks are in major "cover me ass" mode atm.

Will become common place I reckon until all the dust settles with APRA/ASIC interventions, perhaps permanent?

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Our broker knows to let things stay "as is" if this comes to pass. He's pretty clued up and won't put us at risk. Fingers crossed.

Colin Rice likes this.
  12. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

ING will do a new assessment if porting a loan, which is a similar thing. You can't just assume they won't, which is interesting given that there's no increase in lending.

13. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Nab can be troublesome, esp if they know you are pulling a property for refi with lender x

its has ZIP to do with with responsible lending.............. more about control

ta
    rlf

14. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Just another one of many reasons im not a big fan of ING ............ unless very simple ma n pa

ta
    rolf

Jess Peletier likes this.