Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Apparently Unused "Easement for Water Supply"

Discussion in 'Development' started by Manta, 23rd Mar, 2016.

1. Manta

Manta Member

Hi All,

I am looking at a potential property which is approx 12.4m wide and 50m long. The only issue we have with the property is that it has a 1.2m '"easement for water supply" running along one side, along entire length of the property. The property has access from the front road and also from the rear parallel road.

The dial before you dig searches clearly show that there are water line supplies which run on the front street and also on the rear parallel street. There are no water pipes indicated within the easement, so I cannot see any reason why it is there. Might have been necessary at one point, but my thinking is it will no longer be required since there are clear water main supplies on the road.

Has anyone come across similar situation? Is it likely the easement will be surrendered by sydney water given the above situation? or is there some other reason they may want to keep that easement sitting there.

I have attached image of situation, lot 6 is the lot in question

Attached Files:

2. TobyRichardson

TobyRichardson Active Member

I would expect that it's either for a proposed (or once proposed) pipeline to go between the two indicated water mains or would be a right of way/right of access.

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Depends where you are and what's around eg pump station or dam, but as Toby said likely a "connect the dots", but could be for a new main or anything really. Call Sydney water and see. it may be a few calls to get a hold of someone to put some thought into though

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You can only ask. Strike it rich if the easement can be extinguished or live with it.

5. Manta

Manta Member

Thanks guys, I have asked Sydney Water and they are not too sure about it either, apparently they don't come across this type of easement regularly, and will get back to me early next week hopefully with more info.