Apparently Everyone Here Is To Blame

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Rixter, 22nd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

'everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself'

- Leo Tolstoy

bobbyj and Natedog like this.
  2. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

I always love reading the comments when news articles about this come out, especially when people from here in adelaide comment about how expensive housing is. Always good for a chuckle

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

OMG!! Send them to Sydney!

4. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Portfolio Perth Brisbane Sydney Melbourne
    Gen-Y's by name and Gen-Yner's by nature or maybe it's those baby doomer's & gloomer's;)

Last edited: 22nd Jun, 2015
    Toon likes this.
  5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Love it! But to keep it factual, they are not all like that, thank goodness. :D

6. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

Are you sure that it was not my MIL who called to talk back radio? Everything that happens or does not happen in her extend family's life has someone else's fault. if she can not find a 'guilty' party it is either banks or labour government fault...

7. TyroneS

TyroneS Well-Known Member

My parents, and 4 x uncles and aunties are all part of the baby boomer generation and everyone of them don't own investment properties in Australia. They have their PPOR and have a LOT of equity in it sitting there not being touched. So I agree it's not the baby boomers buying property, as most of them only own 1 or 2.

Yes it's getting more expensive to live in Sydney and somehow I do hope that there's going to be a correction to level out the playing field so first home buyers can afford to buy in again.

8. Darren A

Darren A Well-Known Member

There might not be good cafes/latte shops there.

skater likes this.
  9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Mate you can buy brand new houses 25-30 klms from Melbourne for less than 400k.....sure they are on small blocks of land but you usually get a 15-22 sqm home.

The trouble these whiners are getting too big for their boots...off with their heads I say!!

10. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Is the median price the price above which those who work in the media consider buying?

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I reckon that must be where it comes from.

12. sash

sash Well-Known Member

No mon...i deed not doo it mon....I am just a poor Rasfari....

Peace mon....I blame no one...:D

13. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

I have never....not once bought an IP where I was in direct competition with a first home buyer. The price range and locations we have bought IP's between 2005 and 2014 were between $238k and $435k, some of them definitely first home buyer price range and territory.
    Infact, the timing of our purchases meant that we were the only ones making an offer at all!!

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Gotta agree with you Nate, the areas where I've bought in the past haven't been FHB areas at all.

15. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

It's rastafari or rastafarian

aussieB likes this.
  16. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Rastafari........jah say so....

17. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

I actually meant that I have bought in first home buyer areas......but for whatever reason, have never competed against one.....I have tended to buy in quiet times though

18. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

Victim mentality + tall poppy syndrome.

Paying yourself first is a simple concept but many people in today's society just can't do it.

It's always someone else at fault for your own inadequacies/inability to save up.

I remember I had a conversation with a friend from uni a few years ago. I mentioned that I was saving up for a deposit and wanted to buy an investment property. She was very surprised that I had even considered it because she felt it was something completely unrealistic and out of reach for people recently out of uni, given she had saved ~10k after about 3 yrs of full time employment (I started full time work 1 year after her). She then proceeded to credit my situation due to the fact that I was living with my parents, and therefore was "lucky" and did not have many expenses. Little did she know I paid rent to my folks, albeit at a discounted rate.

The same person had a tendency to splurge on hobbies and travel and doodads, at one point spending 10k+ on camera equipment within a 1 year window.

Something must've clicked after that conversation though because she recently bought an apartment of her own with her partner :)

19. Catalyst

Catalyst Well-Known Member

Whoa...tough crowd :p

Australians are so lucky! You get government subsidy to buy your first home!!

I bought my first property somewhere far far away from the city. The commute to work took 45mins to 1-half hours depending on the traffic. That was all we could afford when we first started off in our careers. 5 years later we upgraded to a much nicer house and neighborhood. First house was sold at the same price we bought. Was tough putting the deposit together, but we persevered.

No assistance from anyone at all.

Sackie likes this.
  20. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Its pretty clear investors push up prices and many FHBs suffer competition from them... its a bit disingenuous to argue this is not the case.

aussieB, LibGS and Azazel like this.