Apparently Australians are on track to live OK in retirement

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Angel, 8th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

That is certainly not my definition of a decent lifestyle.

To me, that is a terrible aspiration. Why would anyone plan on having the Government fund their quality of life in retirement.

As our Federal Budget comes under more and more stress, the Government is likely to take the razor-gang to a lot of their programs. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Aged Pension gets a good shake-up :eek:.

marty998 and Rugrat like this.
  2. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

The term 'decent lifestyle' is relative. It is different for everyone, but people here would understandably have a higher bar. The super industry want people to panic. People like Scott Pape and Ross Gittins would prefer they didn't. That won't affect the aspirations of motivated people, who will always strive for more.

Heinz57 likes this.
  3. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Went for an hours walk on the beach today followed by a swim. Saw 2 other people. Cost = $0.00. No need for one hour commute today saving = ??$25. Be very interesting to see what it costs to live a simple life.

marty998, Islay, Angel and 4 others like this.
  4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

The $1.1 million doesn't take into account that I have income from rental properties and listed securities. So basically I will have 3 income streams: rent, dividends and super, and that is without selling anything. I can't find a calculator for that

Sackie and Terry_w like this.
  5. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Australia’s retirement system unprepared for home free future

Asked to conduct an independent review of Australia’s retirement income system, the panel appointed by treasurer Josh Frydenberg reported on Friday that it was all tied up with the family home.

At every age range, Australians have more money saved through home ownership than they do through superannuation or anything else, much more:

[​IMG]
    The report is a consultation paper. The panel wants submissions by February 3.

It raises questions about how retirees without mortgage-free homes cope. The proportion is growing.

6. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

better let them scare you to put more into your super but self managed instead, that way more money to you and not their pocket