API Magazine & Michael Matusik - Conflict of interest?

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Anthony Brew, 16th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

I saw a post mentioning Michael Matusik a few weeks ago and signed up to the newsletter to take a look at his market cometary.
    I also saw another link to API Mpimagazine fairly recently and signed up to take a look.

Today got an email from API Magazine titled
    Breaking News - VIDEO - Property Analyst (Michael Matusik) gives Opp#1 glowing review!

It is a 4 minute video of Michael Matusik explaining why these Brisbane apartments (red flag 1), which are already tenanted (red flag 2) are a great opportunity.

Why would anyone purchase an apartment 12km out of Brisbane CBD? The entire point of choosing an apartment over a house is to be near amenities where you can not afford a house. In Sydney which is land locked and packed like sardines, this stretches out to middle ring (if not further). In Brisbane which is not land locked and population growth is much less, this can not possibly stretch to 12km out of the CBD. On top of this problem for long term growth, you also have short term growth problems for apartments in Brisbane more generally.

The whole video sounds like a sales pitch masquerading as investment advice.
    I am now highly sceptical of both Michael Matusik and API magazine and would not trust any information from either of them.
    Please feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong in thinking that any information from them is worthy of the bin.

We understand you would probably like to know more about The API Insider Opportunity #1.

To help you feel better equipped and comfortable with this opportunity, please view this video, which provides detailed information regarding the exact opportunity, the location and its benefits by Independent Property Analyst, Michael Matusik.

[​IMG]

Once you have had a chance to check it out, please let us know if you would like to move forward with a meeting to discuss the opportunity in more detail, and at this stage, if you haven't seen them already - we can share the exact floor plans, outgoings and price lists.

Have a great day.

The API Insider

2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I have the same view point as you re- investment criteria but yes it is just a marketing piece.

As for “trust” - the word implies relying for another person to behave in a way that is acceptable to you and specific to your circumstances which offcourse is not possible because you should be the one always in control.

I don’t see a problem with any of it, it’s just advertising - obviously they want to sell them so they are advising what is good about them as any marketing person would do.

3. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with advertising.

Problem is when a "market analyst" is working as a salesman, how can his advice ever be considered unbiased?

Similarly with API Magazine - how can their articles be considered unbaised when they are dressing up an obviously paid product as an investing opportunity? If it was more clear that it was an advertisement that would be different.

RS Gumby and Xenia like this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

API is cover to cover advertising. Advertorials and editorial dressed up as a story by advertisers. That sucessful investor story - Yep he is a BA or a mortgage broker, a REA or something. Maybe a spruiker, seminar spruiker or strategist. Rare its an arms length person of interest plucked from journalistic research. All with their own agenda. Author of a book maybe - Yep its a tool to sell too.

Pick up any glossy mag and its just ads. Articles that are ads and editorial that refers to products being placed. Look at ACA - endless stories about products and Aldi - Its like an ad some nights. I flicked through GQ in a car wash recently and I reckon it has two paragraphs worth of interest. Rest was ads. For $35,000 watches and $12,000 mens clothing. Wow...No ads for Lowes.

Caveat emptor. There is NO SUCH THING as licensed investment advice on property. That doesnt mean all who are in market are dodgy. Some are. Some arent. Some offer great value and others are scumbags.

RS Gumby likes this.