API magazine is closing

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Daisycutter4, 30th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Considering people in the general public are aware that the magazine is closing it would be a nice customer service touch to inform subscribers by email something at least, something simple like the magazine is looking at closing down due to ......., as a valued subscriber we will keep you informed of developments, future issues, honouring existing subscriber entitlements etc. It wouldn't be hard to do and one I would consider a common courtesy.

SunnyMum, Observer and Luke T like this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Isn't it closed already? No one is getting paid so who would perform this task?

3. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

There is no staff or structure there to do anything for anyone.

It is over.

Don't gripe too much, some poor buggers lost jobs before Christmas :eek:

5. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

@Matthew .. subscribers could contact their creditcard provider for partial refund of a product / service that was not delivered in full. The bank refunds to you and later goes after the administrators. (I had to do this once when my airline went into administration while I was on holidays. They got me to my holiday destination but not back home again.) Or just leave it be. It isn't heaps of money.

Terry_w likes this.
  6. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

I'm trying not to gripe too much, lol. It was a good publication and quite educational.

7. Daisycutter4

Daisycutter4 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I've been out of the loop for some time but as usual, Simon is across the process. Apologies for not being on line sooner. Took some time away to consider my next move.

Sonamic, Zoolander and jins13 like this.
  8. Peter Carter

Peter Carter Active Member

Any news on the subscription pay outs

9. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I didn't contact them. I don't think I will get my money back.

Peter Carter likes this.
  10. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Given that offers to buy the business closed last week and a decision was supposed to be made this week - but would be subject to due diligence checks which may take some time - I wouldn't think there'd be any news just yet.

Peter Carter likes this.
  11. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hi Kieran, hope the wheel is in motion for you and appreciate the fact that you informed everyone in PC.

12. Jimmy D

Jimmy D Well-Known Member

I get my electronic subscription through Zinio and got a partial credit via email this week.

13. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Were you on online API subscription?

14. Jimmy D

Jimmy D Well-Known Member

Yes online but through a third party supplier. Zinio. They do a lot of online publications.

15. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

"Given that offers to buy the business closed last week and a decision was supposed to be made this week - but would be subject to due diligence checks which may take some time - I wouldn't think there'd be any news just yet."

How much did you pay for API Simon? :)

16. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Not enough :(

Haven't managed to find out who was the successful bidder yet - my guess would be one of the other established players in the space (Fairfax, Sterling Publishing, etc) since they already have teams of people they can bring in to operate the business and the economy of scale to potentially make it work.

Luke T and Westminster like this.
  17. snekinv42

snekinv42 New Member

Hi everyone.

I just got a refund for all of the copies of the magazine that I did not receive. I actually bought a three year subscription in October 2016 so I got a refund of almost $200. It was made as an adjustment through my credit card company.

Here is what I had to go through to get the refund:

1. Called my credit card company (Commonwealth Bank) and told them what had happened. They asked me to write an email to their credit card dispute section detailing exactly what happened.
    2. There was a lengthy exchange of emails discussing what they actually needed. It changed as the process went along. In the end I submitted all of the following information and finally got a refund:
    • Proof of expected delivery date (letters or emails from API Mag). I forwarded the email (receipt) showing how many copies I had purchased and the price I paid for each copy.
    • Proof of liquidation. You will need to contact Worrels at Home - Worrells. They are handling all that so they will be able to supply you with the documentation. I would attach the file here but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to.
    • Proof that I attempted to resolve this with API magazine directly. I just stated that I couldn't get through via their listed number and I forwarded an email that bounced including all the info from the mail daemon etc.
    • A letter/email stating the exact amount you are disputing. I just multipled the number of issues I didn't get by the cost per issue. I was refunded that amount.

I think that's it. It took a long time but I finally got my money back. Good luck everyone.

Peter P, Luke T and Terry_w like this.
  18. Trioboy

Trioboy Member

Tried my luck with commonwealth Bank but they will only honour payments made within last two months. I subscribed back in March 2016. So they can do anything in my case.:(

19. snekinv42

snekinv42 New Member

Not sure what the two month limit is about. I called Comm Bank more than two months after I subscribed. To be honest, we aren't asking for a refund. We are asking them to investigate on our behalf to claim for Goods and services which were not received as per Bank accounts - Managing your accounts - Dispute resolution - Commonwealth Bank Group. Maybe you can claim that you just found out that they went bankrupt after trying to contact them as to why you hadn't received your magazines. It's not like we were told or it was splashed across the media.

Trioboy likes this.
  20. snekinv42

snekinv42 New Member

One other thing...

IIRC the person I spoke to at Comm bank said that they would try to chase up the money for me. They also stated that if they couldn't get the money back from the company that they would just write off that debt and just give me my money back. It took quite a while but yep, in the end they were true to their word. I guess another good reason to pay via credit card.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia