Apartments views

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by ATANG, 9th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

All the gurus who's owned or done many apartments before, does views generally play a huge role in CG when selling? Sometimes, i saw some apartments having a high rise next to it, but buyers seemed not to care and pay huge dollar for it, but sometimes you see some selling at a loss. Is it all dependent on your luck when you can find someone who don't mind it? Of course we not talking about views to Sydney Harbour (who doeesn't like to have that~~). I am referring to average apartment block in dense city area.

I found most cases, it is when the block hasn't been built, where buyers get scared and uncertain about buying it. Once it's built, an all get settled, buyers don't seem to mind? I have seen one that is so close to another high rise and hardly get any natural lights, but still sold at good figure...

Thoughts?

Last edited: 9th Oct, 2017
  2. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

A flat with no views will always cost less and subsequently sell for less than the same flat with views.
    The real tragedy happens when somebody buys a flat with a view and they lose that view.

3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Thats why i like land/house/townhouse- anything that has some reasonable land component- no one can take that away from you.

4. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

A nice east or West facing balcony with direct line of sight to our star does help, for me its getting new tenants. Though, it depends how much time you spend looking that way. For me its about 15min max a day while having breakfast. Darkness outside at dinner means a view is useless then.

5. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Well, there are many cases where a low rise complex being built next to a standalone house in suburban area, especially where it's close to transport station/ shopping complex.

6. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

to be honest no difference

This was an apartment I had sold less than 6 months for slightly 100K more that faces the carpark of another building it is the internals that matter. and the design and outlay. Location makes more a diff. otherwise if it was only views - docklands would be peaking

upload_2017-10-9_15-43-50.png

ATANG likes this.
  7. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Or buy right at the harbour front where there is no private land between you and the water!

MTR and Handyandy like this.
  8. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yes..there are much bigger factors that go into price growth other than the view. Views are only one factor.

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Yah.... just ask @Tony3008 !!

The Y-man

10. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

True: my original Central Equity apartment (which I never lived in) started off with clear views north and west, both now gone, which was a key reason for selling it, and my Vic Point looked out on a CBD panorama, now rudely punctuated by the Medibank building. But unless someone decides to fill in Victoria Harbour my new home's view is safe.

[​IMG]Victoria Harbour, Docklands, Melbourne on Flickr

melbournian and The Y-man like this.
  11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

If there is one thing I cannot figure with that BBQ area - NO TOILETS! Do they expect you to pee in the wharf? (I was sussing the place out to hold our department Xmas get together - but it got written off for the above reason :oops:) The main docklands park has many toilets - but then has no view!!! Crazy.
    But then probably good for you - no loud drunk people outside your balcony! :p

The Y-man

12. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Ah, that's not too bad, i mean u got those leafy trees covering the boring concrete views... But well done for the flipping. Long gone are those days ya :)

13. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

But how about the values. Did they hold up well?

14. melbournian

no trees man was a garage. I could still do it but gone to do better things. prices was flat back then and still flat today. I achieved many of the highest sales in many of the buildings back then, which was why API mag asked me to feature. you have to see the "the block" how many of the shows which featured apartments was in Melbourne.

if you ask me

80 Siddley St Docklands
    283 Spring St Melbourne

Dollar for dollar good views and location in melbourne

15. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Go and write some reviews for me then :rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

You jest, my friend! I sold the CE one (City Point 668 Bourke) after seven years (sold 2007) and more or less got back what I paid, net loss allowing for holding costs - had I sold a year earlier I would have lost $50K. I've owned the VP apartment for ten years and if I sold now I'd probably break even allowing for buy and sell expenses - an identical one two floors up was on the market earlier this year but was withdrawn because the vendor couldn't get an acceptable offer. The rental return is though a healthy 4%+ net so it's a hold for now.

17. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

I started seeing some 2 bedders gone up in the city, average 2+1+1 are now in the mid 6 zones...

18. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

So, was in auction today for two apartments, both in very similar situation, having approved super high rise next to them. One is a two bedder with around 70+ sqm, end up over $800k, and another is a one bedder but with 100sqm! Surprisingly the latter one ended up passing in and now the vendor asking only $500k. I guess it just depends on vendor luck sometimes.... you might get a buyer who really like the place and don't care about anything, otherwise you just have to cut it...?

19. melbournian

Links to the properties in auction?