Apartment Paint colours- your thoughts

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Zoolander, 15th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm moving into an IP and my missus and I are tossing up about paint colours, to add some vibrancy to What is currently white almost everywhere (and peeling at places).

Attached are a couple of combos drawn up in Photoshop. Would be good to get opinions from those who have done something similar- what colours you chose.

Currently the main areas of focus:
    Bedroom- light yellow or purple
    Interior stairwell - leaning towards blue as the walls are quite high ~6m up.
    Living room wall - currently purplish grey. Looking at a dark cyan or more purple.

Had a look at Pintrest for ideas but its darn tough choosing colours!

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi Zoolander. If you don't want white (which is fair enough), I would paint it in a light brown or a light grey - very easy and pleasant to look at. I appreciate this is not the answer you wanted, but I think most other colours just aren't so nice.

if you do go down the path of choosing other colours, once you move out, I'd suggest repainting.

Ps. You can always add colour via artwork and soft furnishings like cushions and rugs.

Last edited: 15th Jul, 2017
    EN710 likes this.
  3. Zoolander

Thanks @Gockie. I sat down with some actual colour cards and agree most of the original colours are rubbish. Had to go much lighter and revisit all white for some areas - if it aint broke dont fix it mentality.

Looking at a calm blue for the living room wall, and offwhite for all walls so there's a slight difference to the ceiling (kept white).
    Still want some other colour for bedrooms but I'm wary that the colour strategy is all over the place.

Good call on the furnishings - completely forgot about those lmao.

Had a second good at new colours, attached. What do you think?

Attached Files:

4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

It very much depends on how much natural light gets into each space. For example, in that stairwell the yellow looks good. However, yellow is 'out of fashion' (which probably means it will soon be back). I would go with a white which has a strong tint of yellow/orange for warmth. Everybody loves Clotted Cream in my apartment. Or look for the modern equivalent. It will feature in one of the brochures. You will need something with red or something with yellow i.e. warm.
    From there, you can just lighten it up with less tint and more white for other walls which do get some light.
    The only time you would use even the slightest hInt of blue would be when the room is facing directly north i.e. it has maximum sun exposure all day. In these situations, blue looks amazing. Otherwise it looks drab, unfortunately. Be careful with black too - it's meant for the same kind of light. A black tint makes the white 'whiter' i.e. cooler.
    Choosing whites is crazy-making. Enjoy!
    And just remember, if you don't like it, you can do it again. :confused: (I reckon that's why they have so many colours and tints when 10 to 12 would really be plenty to choose from.)

Zoolander likes this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I used Berkshire white - this has a subtle yellow tinge even at half and quarter strength. However, the strength of the colour really varies depending on the source of the light.

Zoolander likes this.
  6. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

No yellow anywhere...
    The turquoise color on one wall in the living room is nice
    I'm no fan of all purple... or colour on all walls unless they're white or grey. Just one feature wall :)

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Colour is very much personal choice - and, at the end of the day, it's only paint and can be changed cheaply and easily if you don't like the result. If you're going to live in it, then paint what you like regardless of whether it's "in fashion" or not. If you then go back to renting out, paint it back to white.

Personally, I'm a white wall fan and just painted the new house in illusive white - although the outside is ironstone, windspray and ruby red. I like to zing up with timber flooring, a dash of black and grey - and then a ***** load of colourful artworks, throws, cushions and rugs.

This is me (still living in the shed) with my latest addition of original art :D

roses.jpg

Gockie, EN710 and Zoolander like this.
  8. Martin73

Martin73 Well-Known Member

These are the colours we used for repainting an apartment.

Colours are Wagga Bear, Brown Fox and White Duck from memory and I think from Taubman's range.

Attached Files:

broc119 and Zoolander like this.
  9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My parents painted a (long!!!!) wall yellow in their living room, I think the reason was to match the yellow curtains they bought the house with (20 years ago) :rolleyes:. The house is 1970's and they could be the original curtains....:eek:
    I offered to repaint the wall but they declined :(

EN710 likes this.
  10. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Well, I think yellow can be nice.... in moderation. Not on the whole wall :confused:

11. Zoolander

Yellow would reflect a nice tone when the sun comes in.

The missus and I ended up choosing Dulux's Antique USA as the general wall colour. Quite nice *nods*

Attached Files:

EN710 likes this.
  12. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of Lexicon 1/4 (white) for all surfaces and just play around with the gloss level ie. Low sheen (Walls), semi gloss (trim) and matte (ceiling) for the different surfaces. Ties in really well. You can of course do this with any colour if you wish.

13. Zoolander

all white is lovey. When there's multiple rounds of tenants in sticking things on the walls and repair jobs, I get an inkling to change it up a bit. Furniture isnt vibrant so thats another factor.

Its been pretty good. There's way more tones and types than I thought, plus all that anti mould, gloss, oil vs water extras. I'll post up some before and after panoramas when its all said and done

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia