Apartment living the way of the future?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by jins13, 12th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. willister

willister Well-Known Member

I'm ethically Chinese (Teo Chew) from Vietnam, we speak Teo Chew and Cantonese at home but also understand Vietnamese to a degree, mix of both? Chinese way outstrip Vietnamese when it comes to cash and saving.

LOL I remember my folks were massive savers. For my 12th birthday I was given a brand new Kmart bike to ride to school instead of catching the bus, this was the way we saved pennies LOL.

Is there really anything to steal these days? Most thieves look for cash or some sort of gold/jewelry. Other than that there is nothing really to sell these days. Apartments I feel works both ways - sure you get extra security guards/cctvs but by the same token you a lot of people crammed into a small space. God knows if your neighbour is spying on you etc. One of my friends lived in an apartment and got burgled (he suspects by his neighbour). Weirdly I lived in St. Albans for 18 years - high crime area and we never got burgled once LOL, having said that we were vigilant and did the whole security package - alarm (CCTVs were too exxy and crap at the time so none of those), a front gate with a motorised door and security windows.

Last edited: 18th Apr, 2017
    melbournian, The Y-man and Gockie like this.
  2. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

That's what I am gunning for atm. Hoping to trade up but at the moment enjoying the IP journey too much and delaying the upgrade for the time being.

3. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

OK so you got the mix of both worlds viets/Chinese though not a mainland style :)

Well it is not so much as stealing - but the drug ice epidemic. This wasn't an issue say 10 years ago in Melbourne. You rarely hear about home invasions, burglaries, or violent crime. Now you got guys going to jewellery stores, robbing, home invasions from brighton to werribee and gang culture. A lot has to do with demographics.

Maybe nothing to steal but being on ice vandalism - I once had an ugly disgusting toilet stolen from me (seriously come on)

4. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

combo of demographics, employment opportunities and drugs (ice) - there are more and more beggars in the CBD and surrounding areas and more in north and west Melbourne)

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I thought I would share this article from Urban Developer about a new apartments in Melbourne West End West End Masterplanned Community Takes Shape With Unveiling Of The Spencer - TheUrbanDeveloper.com

"Hecker Guthrie has aimed to include appliances that are thoughtful towards to consumer, modern appliances in each apartment such as dish drawer dishwashers and integrated fridges, meaning residents do not need to compromise on life’s luxuries, and can make full use of these great value added extras."

"Inclusions and design details not usually seen in apartments are standard features at The Spencer. Joinery acts as built-in furniture as well as being functional storage, a dining table is nestled underneath the island benches and kitchens include abundant appliances,” Hecker said.

Whilst I don't think they are necessarily life's luxuries I have found them to be worth the spend in my own projects and actually make small spaces work so much better.

An integrated fridge/freezer that I am using is 600mm wide whereas if I was to leave a fridge recess it would need to be 900mm wide.
    A combination oven and microwave means that no microwave recess needs to be provided. That oven comes in full sized or a compact model
    A compact dishwasher such as the Bosch or Fisher and Paykel models take up half the space of a standard full size dishwasher allowing you to put a pot drawer etc underneath for additional storage.
    A combination washer/dryer takes up less space in a bathroom/laundry combo or Euro cupboard laundry.

Using joinery to create a dining room table attached to a kitchen island does restrict the size and way that a dining room table will work but I think it's worth it in the long run to provide a more effective use of the space rather than providing an empty dining space

[​IMG]

All those appliances and built in joinery will add around $10-12k to the cost of the apartment. However it creates a more functional apartment, more useable space in the kitchen and the added bonus of your building being less destroyed by people getting fridges and washing machines in and out of the building :confused:

6. willister

willister Well-Known Member

I'd rather go down the townhouse path than apartments - heck I am not even interested in units or those townhouses with a shared driveway, I'm talking about PPOR not IP. Many apartments here (majority) are rubbish dog boxes that are essentially 1 bedder student accommodation studios, does not really entice. The only apartments which looked semi decent are on St. Kilda Road that I have ever seen, but they're exxy.

I cannot fathom though mostly why there are 1-2 bedder apartments in suburbs like Mitcham, Glen Waverley and Springvale - a good 20km+ out from the CBD. Due to the size and population of Australia I don't think its necessary or required - rather they were built out of developers greed capitalising on the market at the time.

7. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Have to admit, I did enjoy living in an apartment where I was able to use public transport and walking distance to everything for the last couple of weeks, but to do this forever and with a young family....Not going to happen but it's also going to be based on the potential schooling and other facilities that are nearby as well.

8. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

9. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I've never ever understood it. If I want to use a gym I'll pay for one of the millions of gyms you can find close by.

10. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Completely agree and there are always idiots that wreck the gym, sauna, pool and etc which results in more $$$. These days gym memberships are fairly cheap anyway. I've seen virtual golf, threatre, library, BBQ area and etc in an apartment and just think that's something which I am happy to forego.

11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Agreed. I think the equipment in apartment complexes is also pretty much home use standard and it get's broken and takes forever to be replaced. Better to go to a real gym.

12. Rowan

Rowan Well-Known Member

Or alternatively live in a house and have your own equipment. My view is a commutable house will always be part of modern living. The question is how achievable it is for everyone.