VIC Apartment letterbox lock broke - who pays?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by jaybean, 31st Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Got a bill from my agent for $220 to pay for a locksmith to fix the lock. I wasn't sure who should be responsible, does anyone know what the rules are?

2. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

From your strata agent?

Are mailboxes common property in the strata scheme? If common property strata should pay.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

$220. Is the key solid gold or just sterling silver ?

Michael Mitchell and thatbum like this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Check with strata.

Since that mail box is for the exclusive use of your apartment, you may be liable.
    Marg

5. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Depends on your states strata legislation. I have yet to see any CMS where each letterbox is actually designated as Exclusive Use Area (EUA) per Lot and therefor is classed as part of the common property, however in Qld for example, under the BCCM Act there are provisions for parts of the common property which only one Lot enjoys the benefit of become responsible for it. In my scheme, we have a basic rule of thumb that if any part of the mailbox is maintenance or vandal-related the Body Corporate pays, but if the Occupier has simply lost or damaged the key then the Lot pays.

Rich2011, craigc, Dan Wood and 2 others like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I agree with @Michael Mitchell - who's responsible for the replacement of all of the mailboxes if they are no longer suitable/don't meet Australia Post's standards? (Strata).

Dan Wood and Michael Mitchell like this.
  7. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

If it is each landlord's responsibility, would I expect this to be noted somewhere central? I'm hoping I don't have to go trawling through years of meeting minutes to find evidence of this. I should be able to just ask for documented evidence right?

8. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

You have to trust some level of governance - or go through the transactions yourself.

though you seem to get that there is no difference if it is you pay or the strata pays - as long as it consistently applied :)