Apartment in prestigious vs above average area

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by DrunkSailor, 26th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DrunkSailor

DrunkSailor Well-Known Member

if you had a choice between two apartments:

Apt 1: it's in a prestigious area, one of the most expensive but it's a company share title and its 10% more expensive and not as big and well designed as apt 2.

Apt 2: is in an above average area. It's an area that has a bad rep 10 years ago but has gentrified although not fully. This apartment is 25% bigger and has its own title and the layout is more functional than apt 1and it's 10% cheaper.

So which would you choose? Would you pay 10% more and take a compromise on size and functionality to live in an area you love and feel good in every day or would you go for the cheaper, bigger apt in worse area which gives you doubts.

2. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Is it for a home? or Investment?

3. Medine

Medine Well-Known Member

Before deciding I would look at:
    - Median prices
    - Growth history for apartments in those suburbs over the past 10 years
    - 'standard' sort of apartment in the area
    - proximity to amenities
    - ability to add value
    :) Good luck with it!

jefn89 likes this.
  4. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Have you had a look at what company title entails? I think that would be a very big deciding factor

The Y-man and Propertunity like this.
  5. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

WHat suburbs are we talking

Joynz likes this.
  6. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

^ ^ this!!

7. jefn89

jefn89 Well-Known Member

Company titles are from what I understand a pain in the butt! Essentially everyone has to approve a new owner and there is a bit of sway on other things as well

Key questions should be, what are you looking to achieve? Look at your goals first then go from there

8. DrunkSailor

Yes, extensively. This is a company title by name not by nature. There's no restrictions or anything except it will be hard to sell in the future due to banks not lending against them.

It is possible to transfer from company to strata at the cost of about 2-3k per owner which would significantly increase its value if that were to happen however it's not something you should rely on.

You can get a company title unit for about 20% below market value however it depends on the unit and the market.

The rental yield on this property is very good, one of the best yields save for CBD apartments which makes it very appealing to me in the long term as it will be positively geared from the get go.

I am looking to live in it initially however rental yield is important as I value mobility and being able to rent it out for a good amount were I leave the state is important. However, the drawback being it could be tough to sell were I wanting to do that. At the moment, I don't see any reason why I'd want to sell.

Are there any issues you can think given that information?

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

• Conversion to strata will require a DA & will trigger a fire order
    • Directors of the company have a say in who you can accept as a tenant (if anyone )
    • Ease of borrowing
    • Lower valuation than equivalent strata property

10. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Like any impeded security ( co title, multiple units on one title,sub 40- 50 sqm units, main road props, props near power lines......

just make sure the price fits the impediment and dont whine that it will take a while to finance and sell

ta
    rolf

11. DrunkSailor

what I like about company share title is that because I don't need financing it gives me a greater edge over other buyers which means a lot less competition.

What I don't like about buying something that everyone else wants is that you'll have to overpay to beat everyone in an already overheated market.

Does that make sense?

12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Always go bigger - size matters big time in apartments (as I have discovered after owning 1br and 2brs). .. and its cheaper right?

Where's the suburb? Broady? Dandy?

The Y-man

13. DrunkSailor

West Footscray vs st kilda.

I'm buying despite my beliefs of a downturn which will hit apartments hard. I'm leaning towards st kilda even if i have to comprise on size because if I have to hold in order to ride it out I'd rather be stuck in st kilda than west Footscray.

Do you think I'm being rational?

14. The Y-man

Go for a conventional strata titled 1 bedder in Stk EAST

The Y-man

Joynz likes this.
  15. The Y-man

BTW.... since when did St K become "prestigious"? First time I heard the term being used for the area..... :eek:

SY, Windsor, Pra, Armadale and StK E yes, but not StK central.

The Y-man

16. DrunkSailor

St Kilda is very charming. you have to go there on a Friday/Saturday night to really appreciate it's character.

I'll look into those suburbs you mentioned. There's a candidate in Richmond I'm looking at but I'm not as familiar with Richmond as St Kilda.

What's crazy is I'm seeing 1 beds in Footscray sell for 345k, old complex. For that price you can get brand new in Parkville or established in Brunswick, richmond etc...

Do you think the government equity share scheme has something to do with that? Footscray is the only inner city suburb on the list..

17. DrunkSailor

Is it that bad to buy a company share title that's operating no different than a strata? If you get it at a 20% discount and sell it at a 20% discount you haven't lost anything.

18. The Y-man

I am only pointing out the difference in my head btn StK and StK.E. :)

I think I am too old - I associate StK with "brothels and strip joints"........

The Y-man

19. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Keep in mind the liquidity of a company title unit is much less given it will generally take a long time to sell.

It might be operating like a strata complex now, but what if the owners change and the new owners have a controlling interest in the company and also have some crazy ideas?