VIC Apartment in Glen Waverley

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Adamoto, 16th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Adamoto

Adamoto Member

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on purchasing an apartment in Glen Waverley now?

2. pattoman

pattoman Well-Known Member

PPOR? Buy whenever you find some place you love and can afford it. IP? Probably wait on it.

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  3. Adamoto

Adamoto Member

Well planning on ppor for a couple of years and then turning it into an IP and renting it out.

4. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy an apartment anywhere in Australia (unless guaranteed of unobstructed water/green views forever). Dunno what your driver is behind buying in GW, but if you're able to do it buy a freestanding home or at least a unit a bit further out.

korando1234 likes this.
  5. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

Don't but if you have to then in school zone (walkable to train) but apparently you need at least 2 bedroom to apply for the schools

korando1234 likes this.
  6. pattoman

pattoman Well-Known Member

I don't think I ever saw a school checking how many rooms a student has at home.

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Which ones are you looking at?

The Y-man

8. Adamoto

Adamoto Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The reason I'm considering the GW area is because I grew up in the area and have always liked the area. With houses in the area definitely out of the budget, I thought a unit in the low density apartments within the school zone might have a chance to hold its value somewhat even during a bit of a downturn. But I could be totally wrong.

Btw I'm considering the apartment block on Frank Street

9. The Y-man

I owns shares in Vicinity so of course I would be pumping Sky Garden :D:D:D:D

The Y-man

10. The Y-man

Frank st would be a better choice than the high rises going up at the moment.

The Y-man

11. Adamoto

Adamoto Member

Yea not a big fan of high rise apartments... and those things are kind of hideous, wrecks the whole suburb's skyline.

12. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

Becareful of how close those apartments on frank st is to springvale road, definitely check how noisy it will be at night. It is also quite a distance from the station (1.2km) and would require you to walk along springvale road most of the way, which you may need to question whether it defeats the purpose of having an apartment (for convenience and location). Due to the distance, you may end up driving more often just to visit the glen and kings way, in which case it would open up more suburbs for you to buy in.

Looking at VCE rankings, Glen waverley high does not appear to drastically outperform any others in the immediate area such as Highvale or Mount Waverley. The general area is also attracting new low rise developments, like the 12 odd apartments they put up at 22 Shirley avenue next to Syndal station (mainly sold to foreigners). For the council to approve that signals the potential for more similar supply in the near future and closer to the main hubs.

In saying that, if you must buy now in glen waverley at present, there is not much better on the market at that price range and there being 3 in the same complex listed for sale could be a blessing to negotiate lower prices (or a concern depending on which way you look at it - if it is so easy for you to buy then it may be hard for you to sell).

Just question whether its worthwhile buying those apartments now for investment if you think it will not go up in value (buildings do depreciate) and do not intend on living there long term. It would need to offer some crazy good sustainable yield for me to jump in. Also a 500k-550k price point for an apartment with arguably low walkability and on main road is not overly cheap by any means and its location may really limit your tenant pool so you would want to research that. You would also need to be sure you cannot find a villa unit for not much more (see 1/32 capital ave that recently sold).

Adamoto likes this.
  13. The Y-man

I used to live on Beacon St - never had noise issues, and Mrs walked daily to the station.

The only real challenge was driving out of the street onto Springy and wanting to go southbound.

The Y-man

korando1234 likes this.
  14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

not a big fan apartments but the ICON apartments are at least unique in that its right in the middle, those apartments insifde are pretty small though, qualitywise didnt seem horrible

15. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Bad idea to buy an apartment in Melb
    That’s it

16. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

For a rental property which is a studio apartment or a one bedroom unit, checking whether there are any regulations/codes limiting the occupancy of these apartments to one person per
    GWSC had around 14% study scoires >40 compared to under 10% for the other 2 mentioned which may not be drastic. It's also reputation as well I guess. Balwyn High sits at over 18% for 2019

17. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

Can I ask why you hold this opinion? Is it from either a PPOR or investment perspective? Or both?

18. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Hmm probably both because irrespective of PPOR or IP, you’d want cap growth/want your buying power to keep up with the market. And apartments would not give you that because it’s so easy to keep building more. Making second hand sales very undesirable since there’s always a newer OTP coming (and because of FIRB rules you’ve lost the foreigner Asian market on a resale)

tangvn likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia