Apartment and garden renovation. Sydney.

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Sackie, 4th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hey @Westminster , actually it wasn't a requirement to put a range hood. There is plenty of open air above so should be ok. But no, it wasn't a requirement. It's a very small appartment complex (in terms of appartments) and the BC are a pretty amazing and chilled bunch. They are all very commercially minded and obviously want my garden appartment to rock. Not a single objection.

Re the BBQ I got it at a pretty good price from HN commercial as it was put in with my builders massive order. I think it was around $1700! Tbh I think it'll do.

Can't wait for the garden to get going. Hopefully the landscaper doesn't screw it up...he was 45k+ cheaper than others! Has a ton of good reviews and I spoke to 2 people who engaged them and mostly good comments. Fingers crossed.

Redom, craigc, wylie and 2 others like this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Flooring is looking great :rolleyes:

Screenshot_20220510-152631_Gallery.jpg

Garden demo starting tomorrow! :cool:

MWI, Piston_Broke, craigc and 4 others like this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Boys working hard on demo. The noise is insane. Poor neighbours :oops:

20220511_092047.jpg
    20220511_092328.jpg

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That is a fabulous large garden area. I can't wait to see it finished.

Tofubiscuit and Sackie like this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Me too! Fingers crossed it works out!

Ugly duckling atm.

20220511_145654.jpg

Last edited: 11th May, 2022
  6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Me too!

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Some plants arrived. More on Monday to plant soon after. Do they look they look healthy?? The bamboo looks OK?

20220515_120951.jpg

20220515_120841.jpg

20220515_120908.jpg

20220515_120848.jpg

20220515_120922.jpg

20220515_121849.jpg

Last edited: 15th May, 2022
    spoon likes this.
  8. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see the finished project.

Sackie likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Fireplace arrived.

The overall cost was....:eek:

I have to use natural stone to wrap it otherwise the glue may melt in other stones....so the slab for the FP alone cost like 4k:eek: plus the fireplace cost.....you could buy a second hand car instead o_O

20220523_093705.jpg

craigc and skater like this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Too many materials handling issues to get it through that hole in the wall.

Sackie likes this.
  11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I see a day soon approaching where fireplaces will be prohibited. Then timber burning ovens etc...Carbon emissions, pollution etc. The green movement is going main stream and the election shows how fast.

Remember incinerators in backyards ? For the younger members let me explain. EVERY house had a block, brick or steel 200 litre drum incinerator in the backyard. Often the drum had an asbestos sheet covering the fence palings which nobody saw as a health issue. The block incinerator often was absbestos lined too. There was no green bin, no yellow bin.. Not even a red bin. Just a waste bin. Nothing was recycled except if you took your cans to the scouts who paid you $$ for them. To avoid filling the waste bin your BURNED all newspapers, paper wrapping, cardboard (and much plastic too and even grass clippings and leaves) which would smoke out the neighbours washing (or your own). You put the ash in your garden. It was only in the early 90s when the Govt decided the hole in the ozone layer from burning aerosol cans that contained fluorocarbons that this practice became banned and recycling was introduced. I recall everyone said "wont happen" and it happended fast. Fist each home had a small black crate then it quickly became that plus a green waste then a larger yellow bin replaced the small crate. Then the red bins were reduced in size and some councils even have compost bins.

These days if you see smoke in a neigbour hood you ask whats burning. Once it was smoky weekends. Soon it will be that any smoke is a sign of an offender and the brigade will just turn up.

upload_2022-5-23_12-50-7.jpeg

12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Well, not EVERY house. When I was a teen I used to clear the lantana from out the back, and burned it in the front yard, but we weren't on a traditional road. Not rural, but a dirt track that only residents travelled. We didn't have a garbage collection, so every day on the way to work my parents dropped a bag of rubbish into a street bin.

In my first home, we built a BBQ, much like the photo. No asbestos, and a grill on the top. We didn't burn stuff in there other than wood though.

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Our milk came in bottles, they were delivered by the milko and he picked up the empties at the same time.

Can recycling was a great system, it's way too PC now with the Govt charging/crediting the bottle or can suppliers with the numbers of recepticles returned. Barcode has to be legible etc.

Every school had one as well with a 8-10m chimney.

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Paul@PAS its a bioethanol burner. Is it any 'greener'?

According to Google, "Bio-ethanol fuel, sometimes called 'bio fuel', is a sustainable 'green fuel' produced from crops such as sugar cane or maize. It produces a very clean, smokeless form of heat as it doesn't generate any harmful gasses, sparks or soot"

I'm just curious. Thanks.

Last edited: 23rd May, 2022
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Big delivery day today at 9am.

Miele fridge, dishwasher, rangehood and oven, microwave, outdoor BBQ, bathroom basins coming :cool:

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Garden starting to come along. Garden lights to come. Retaining wall lighting to be replaced.

20220526_170500.jpg

20220526_172222.jpg

Last edited: 26th May, 2022
    craigc, spoon, Shazz@ and 4 others like this.
  17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Starting to look good.

Sackie and Tofubiscuit like this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Still more plants and trees to go in. Then it all has to settle and grow. Probably will take some time after all planted to look good? Also not everything will blossom in the current season.

skater likes this.
  19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Are you planning to flip this? Also, care to reveal how much the landscaping's gonna cost?

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Just yesterday a neighbour came through to have a look at the appartment and garden and made me a good offer to sell when finished. I kinda dismissed what he offered as 'just talk' but he made it clear before leaving he was dead serious.

Problem (maybe not problem) is....partner is now wanting to keep this in our portfolio and possibly rent out as a luxury airBnB. We also bought all new furniture, art etc to match the place. It's close to many beaches, shops etc. It's also very rare to be able to buy a garden apartment like this in the area with such a huge garden on title.

I am not sure what we'll do for now.

Re landscaping costs, over 34k.

Last edited: 26th May, 2022
    spoon and Lacrim like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia