ANZ Drops PI rate but Increases IO rates

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Terry_w, 9th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

ANZ has just announced they will be reducing PI rates by 0.05% but will increase IO rates by 0.30%. LOC rates increase by 0.30% too.

Perthguy and Karlos1234 like this.
  2. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
  3. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

Lucky I fixed 3 yr io with anz a mth ago, not sure what would happen after 3 yr, may be will have to switch back to pi

4. God_of_money

God_of_money Well-Known Member

5. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Yep...exactly as predicted... P&I to get a touch cheaper, and I/O to get dearer. This wont be the last of these announcements. I expect at least one more "adjustment" before years end.

Good news is - the 30% I/O quota will open up the option of an RBA cash rate cut... so P&I may get even cheaper before the end of the year. Nothing would find it's way to I/O borrowers though.... so effectively that would give the banks another 25bpts on I/O, and avoid the need to actually increase retail rates. ie the actual rate to borrower may not go up any further for I/O if the RBA cut the cash rate.

Result of an RBA cut = P&I will be lower. I/O will be unchanged from current rates, but generating an additional 25 bpts "spread" to lenders.

Of course, if the RBA does not reduce the cash rate, expect another 20-30bpts to come the way of I/O borrowers by years end.

Kasi likes this.
  6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

There is NO option

its a given

ta

rolf

7. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Just waiting now for the others to follow.

Terry_w likes this.
  8. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

RBA cut coming soon.

Matter of time until banks get over i/o lending and go back to the old days.

9. Savy mum

Savy mum Well-Known Member

As the P&I rate and IO rates are widening, would it be best to go P&I fixed on investment loans at the moment and hope that things will settle back down

10. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

And the fires to continue on burning in Melbourne and Sydney when the next rate drop comes and we see the Big4 with discounting on P&I back under the 4s and into as low as 3.8s.

This means the mid tiers will likely be dangling in the low 3.7s and dare I say 3.6s.

11. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Yup

This small policy changes by banks is seperating the real investors from the pretenders.

Won't be long until everything reverts back as it was 10 months ago.

12. euro73

If that's how it goes, never a better time to work on debt reduction. Make hay while the sun shines...

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But rates have been increasing according to my bank statements, regardless of what RBA are doing.

Majority of investors go IO loans

Kasi likes this.
  14. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Opinions change with the weather.
    At the moment, I'm thinking P&I variable because I can tolerate rate increases, even if I don't like them. I'm thinking P&I will either stay the same or decrease. However, I know nothing and it's just my preference to wait and watch atm. Plenty of others have fixed P&I based on recent rates threads.

Last edited: 10th Jun, 2017
    Savy mum and Kasi like this.
  15. propernewb

propernewb Well-Known Member

Why is there no option?

US Fed Reserve has started increasing rates

16. truong

truong Well-Known Member

For those who have unused offset funds in your PPOR loan and an IP I/O loan, it could be useful to convert your IP loan to P&I and use the PPOR offset funds to pay for the IP principal.

The saving you'll make on your IP interest would be more than the interest you’d save by keeping the IP principal repayment in the offset.

- e.g. 500K investment loan IO @ 5%. If converted into P&I, same loan @ 4.5%
    - interest saved by converting IO to P&I: 0.5% x 500K = $2500/yr
    - repayment of IP principal: $8000/yr
    - keeping this repayment in the PPOR offset @ 4% would have saved only $320/yr
    - tax not considered here.

apk and Manic like this.
  17. euro73

Talking about reduction of PPOR P&I debt... that's what investors facing future borrowing capacity ceilings or P&I conversions need to focus on in order to defend against those challenges

Not important for those with very mature, high yielding portfolios
    Not important for those who have already paid off their PPOR or who rent
    Not important for those on very high incomes
    Very important for everyone else. The single best thing they can do to either improve future capacity or insulate themselves against I/O reverting to P&I.

How to achieve accelerated debt reduction is the question... obviously you need more income to be available for the job. This means that you can;

earn more income from salary. Its a very low wage growth environment for most though
    earn more OT or shift allowance or bonuses, but most banks are now shading that income source, so generally only 70-80% of it can be used for servicing
    increase your rents. But again, banks shade that income source at between 70-80%
    strike gold, oil or a lottery win.
    purchase cash cows.
    sell

What isnt changing is that expenses are on the rise and will keep rising - ANZ are adding 30bpts from next Friday and others wont be far behiond.... and thats before P&I comes a calling.

The counter balance isnt happening though. Salaries are flat. rental inflation is flat.

So to me, cash cows remain the best option to even the odds and improve your lot. Lottery wins, gold or oil strikes aside , of course :)

#cashcowskilldebt #decadetodeleverage

18. Terry_w

Yes it could be Truong. Storing large sums in offsets actually costs people money these days.

truong and Manic like this.
  19. Manic

Manic Well-Known Member

Truong, I was thinking of this same strategy. If you do burn through offset funds, what's stopping you from redrawing against your loan and topping them up again?

Terry, are you referring to missed opportunities by storing large sums in offsets?

20. Terry_w

Well offsets hurt serviceability. If the offset is on the main residence loan it not only hurts servicing it costs more in interest,.

Perthguy likes this.