Education & Work Anyone with kids starting big school?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by beachgurl, 1st Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

My youngest started big school today. I'm currently sitting with a coffee with my dark sunnies on.
    Anyone else a big cry baby or am I the only one not dancing in the streets?

Nemo30, HUGH72 and Marg4000 like this.
  2. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

@beachgurl i'm trying to appreciate every moment this year as my youngest will be in big school next year. I'll be there with my big dark sunnies, a large coffee and staring at the ocean wondering where all that time went! The silence will be deafening. Plenty of good milestones ahead though. Gotta love it when they can read YOU a bedtime story for the first time. That's just magic!

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Our youngest starts tomorrow. I expect there to be both crying and dancing, and then probably some sleeping - take advantage of the quiet while we can!

They let them out at 2:45pm at this age, so we won't get much sleep before it's time to go pick them up.

Last edited: 1st Feb, 2017
    Magnet likes this.
  4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

LOL ... my 5yo reads me stories now - doesn't matter if she actually knows the story - she'll just make it up - or quote it from memory. Her favourites right now are "The Day the Crayons Quit" and the sequel, "The Day the Crayons Came Back" - can quote them almost verbatim from memory!

I love having the kids read to me - it's amazing to see their development and to see the world open up to them once they can read everything around them that's written - whether it's just controlling the TV (they can do it now - but rely on pictures rather than words), reading a magazine (more than just looking at the pictures), reading street signs and signage on buildings - there's a whole world out there that they'll start seeing and understanding in a different way once they can read.

Magnet likes this.
  5. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

My son is off to kindy today.

I think my wife is going to be upset.

Magnet likes this.
  6. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

My boy started reception on monday, yesterday the teacher told the misses at pickup that he's made good friends with a group of other boys (we are new to the area) and they are already being smart asses and interrupting class etc. Had to laugh

Magnet likes this.
  7. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Kona started high school last week. We dropped her off at the gate and she just walked right in. She is a social butterfly, and usually finds it pretty easy to mingle and make new friends. A few class mates from her old school are going to this school, but she is pretty much over them, and is keen to make new friends.

Netball season is starting up soon, so we will be in full swing with school and sport soon! Going to be one hell of a year!

pinkboy

Magnet likes this.
  8. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

Our older 2 are out at 2.45pm...the day flies!

9. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

My son started high school today - he was pretty nervous so I'm looking forward to him coming home and telling me how it all went.

Magnet likes this.
  10. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Our last of 3 is off tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to coming home to a tidy house and a baked dinner every night.

11. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Yep. My girl just started last week. New class, new kids. Has won a reading award already 1 week in. Proud dad moment.

Magnet and beachgurl like this.
  12. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Our eldest daughter started Prep last week, so cute in the oversized uniform and backpack!

Seems like only yesterday I was holding her as a tiny baby after she was born, supporting her little head, bathtime, swaddling her up for sleep time in her cot. Its a corny saying but true, the days are long but the years are short...

Phase2, Property Twins and Magnet like this.
  13. Eugene82

Eugene82 Well-Known Member

My oldest one is starting today. Can't believe how quickly the last five years disappeared

14. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Our third started Kindy, absolutely loves it which is making it so much easier.

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Hahahahaha! :D:p

One our youngest went to school, I put my feet up for a well deserved bit of "me time".

Wait for the dancing you will be doing once you've got through all the school years. What a day that was. Freedom from all the washing, lunches, sports, helping in the classroom, tuck shop.

16. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

What age did you manage to kick them out of the house? I'll be doing all I can to facilitate them leaving at/by 21. I think its important for them to learn independence. That's 10 years off though:rolleyes:

17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

No kicking out of our house for any of them. They left when they were ready to leave.

But if they were sitting around on the couch playing Xbox all day that would not be acceptable.

Lacrim likes this.
  18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

First left as soon as she turned 18. At the same time, Miss almost 15 went to Mexico for 7 months, going to school with her family in law. So we were temporary empty nesters much earlier than we expected.