Anyone used Property Education program by PK Gupta?

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by DanUM, 21st Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Stugots

Stugots Well-Known Member

Hey @Rekke, I actually ended up purchasing and doing the entire course recently. Ironic because I had this to say back in January :D:

I was similarly on the fence for quite a while, but seeing as I was going to purchase my next IP, and it would likely have been interstate, I thought I'd find out more about the original concerns I had. After going back and forth for a bit, I decided to bite the bullet. I wasn't keen on using a buyers agent & wanted to do it all myself, and so I thought the risk to reward ratio was pretty solid.

I was either going to be disappointed spending $6K on a course, disappointed dropping $12K on a buyers agent, or disappointed in potentially making a fatal mistake which could come back to haunt me in the future. I figured the worst that could happen is that I could learn something and/or level up my skills which are repeatable and could then be drawn from into the future.

In answer to my own original question you quoted above, I think the way the course is/was communicated sadly didn't properly cover the full extent of the value contained inside.

I used DSR Data for my previous IP purchase, and so I was already familiar with most of the data factors PK analyses and teaches. What I was doing back then to identify potential capital growth opportunities was extremely manual and had no real rhyme or reason - I was kind of just manually analysing the raw data in a spreadsheet and then making my own inferences based off... well not much really haha.

The factors in the course all each come with factor importance and flexibility guidelines on a weighted scale, so you can accurately determine risk thresholds and the level of importance to hold against a particular factor. From there you end up building a bit of a story about a particular suburb. Pretty quickly you filter out the suburbs where the data does not meet target thresholds, and you can start to see which ones do, and therefore where which factors you can be a little flexible on (there is no perfect suburb, I have learnt!). The 30+ factors are also logically spread across priority levels, as well as which ones relate to short term, medium term or long term growth, so you can assess with confidence what to expect and which factors are likely to affect which type of growth.

Me being me, I also wanted to know the technicals behind how he got to this point, I was pretty skeptical at the beginning (as anyone should be IMO - due diligence), so I asked. The suburb model for capital growth was developed using 30+ years of data analysis applied with a statistical technique (multi-variate regression model, as per the website I believe) and validated by back-testing.

And that's just the suburb factors I am describing above, the course also covers intra-suburb factors, specific property factors, as well as the more qualitative/subjective aspects of property investing.

This post is getting long, but I was genuinely impressed and felt like I was provided with enough, if not more value than what I dropped on it. This is one of those things where I wish I had this when I started looking into property investing 3 years ago and was just stunned by analysis paralysis. There was way too many anecdotes and people's subjective opinions to sift through for my liking... I just wanted the cold, hard facts and the science, with no feelings attached.

Hope that helps somewhat mate. Good luck :)

Last edited: 19th Jun, 2022
  2. Adrian8507

Adrian8507 New Member

So what’s the difference between paying $6k for PK Gupta and using boomtown boomscore to find suburbs? Genuine question .. not saying one is better than the other.. I just don’t know

PK Gupta likes this.
  3. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Location algorithms have a place, but they are just a modern version of what we have all been doing for ages - understanding data and getting a feel for the market to get in at the right time and place.

Hotspotting is important but is a tiny part of overall property success. Lots of people success without it, by just getting in early and never selling, or by using sweat equity and adding value.

You can work out your own metrics, or trust someone else when choosing where to buy. Either way most people on this forum myself included will strongly suggest YOU understanding the basic premise why spot x is a good idea - whether the original idea came from you, a bit of software, your taxi driver, a course promoter - or even a buyer's agent.

Once you know roughly where you want to buy, then how you execute WHAT you buy and how thorough your due diligence is will form a massive part of the success too.

PK Gupta and Sackie like this.
  4. PK Gupta

PK Gupta Well-Known Member

Well said. There’s are lots of “scores” these days. Some great some not so much. None of them are a panacea. And none of them are a replacement for true genuine understanding, which is the only thing that builds confidence.

I may also add that none of them alone encompass everything that needs to be analysed to pick a suburb, let alone pick the rights streets and ultimately right property.

But in a rising market everything does well. The next few years will seperate the boys from the men, so to speak.

Gen-Y likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So read

Said it many times… easiest way to make money is to buy in a rising market

jbv, See Change and Gen-Y like this.
  6. Natasha Thomas

Natasha Thomas Member

This is soooo helpful! Thank you so much! I have been considering the course aswell. This deep dive into exactly what is offered is exactly what I needed to read.

Last edited by a moderator: 12th Jul, 2022
    DANger-is and PK Gupta like this.
  7. DevD

DevD Well-Known Member

might be silly question...but how to best identify a rising or falling market ?

8. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

An easy way is to call an RE agent and enquire about a property.
    The less interested he/she seems in your enquiry the stronger the market is rising.
    Right near the top you will be fobbed off and be told you need an appointment to even give him money and don't bother showing up unless you have a contract signed.

In a falling market first they start taking your call. Then as it falls more they will try to get an offer from you. And then the more they call back, the faster the market is falling.
    And around the bottom, you call an agent for the first time and they're keen to get you in the office and even make you a coffee. They make you feel like you're important, and that's cause it's Friday you're the 5th enquiry all week. This could be a good time to buy.

9. DevD

DevD Well-Known Member

Loved reading this entire thread while it was too long. Very insightful and loved how PK Gupta handled people's skepticism in a professional manner and answered satisfactorily.

I am on the fence whether I should consider going with PK Gupta or Property Twins so far. Both seem to operate in a very similar manner and seem trustworthy. I had a very bad experience by trusting someone and paying a high fee for some course (not related to property investment) I had signed up long ago. Since then I have been very very skeptical about paying someone for a course.

Last edited by a moderator: 30th Oct, 2023
    Redom and PK Gupta like this.
  10. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Diplomacy is not necessarily an indication of competency or performance.

I'd suggest reading a few books written by investors before even thinking about a course.

DevD, jbv and skater like this.
  11. PK Gupta

A more data driven, objective and scalable way is to use a synthesis of 30-35 data factors such as inventory levels, days on market, rental growth %, building approvals %, average discounting %, developable land supply, job advertisements, mortgage affordability etc etc

Defining the balance between demand and supply using thresholds, weightings and trends. Where demand exceeds supply prices rise. It’s scientific.

Of course we also want to make sure the growth suburbs we identify are also high cashflow.

Not everyone on Property Chat believes in data, but investors are slowly catching on to its power.

Patel and DevD like this.
  12. JustinR

JustinR Member

I think I read earlier that the data factors can be analysed to predict short, medium and longer term growth. To anyone who has done PK's course, I'm just curious about this aspect. A mining town could be tipped for high short term growth then falls on its face when the underlying driver disappears. Are the markets recommended by the data focused on short-term growth (to build equity to rinse and repeat) in addition to consistent longer term capital growth? Equally, if there is short term demand which pushes up rental yield, what safeguards are in place in the data factors to determine consistent longer term yield? Want to keep it positive cashflow until the P&I is paid off after many years.

13. PK Gupta

Yes both short and long term. This is where sometimes investors get unhinged, for example they subscribe to a data source like location score and go by the score, which only looks at short term data factors and could point to a suburb in a mining town or a suburb that’s hot now but about to approach peak.

So long term factors are important to weigh into our decision making. I mentioned some above like long term (10 year) job advertisement trends, income gradients and many others - most of which can be quantified. This helps lead away from boom bust suburbs like many mining towns or super regional towns or even inferior parts of capital cities that are current having a growth spurt.

Hope that helps.

14. JustinR

JustinR Member

Thanks for clarifying PK. Makes sense.

15. getafix

getafix New Member

Could you please expand on this? Did the course help you in purchasing you IP within a set timeframe ?

16. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

Honest answer to that is yes and no. I've previously purchased interstate and would've done so anyway even without the course, so in that way it didn't personally speed up the process for me.

On the flipside yes, because I zero'd in on my target suburb quicker as I was confident about the data once I did the course, I did buy sooner too.

TBH buying quick is not exactly a material issue in this market and I don't think that should be the focus, but it is possible to do the course in a week, research for another 2 and start making offers if you really want to.

jbv and getafix like this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes
    Its not rocket science, if demand outstrips supply markets rise. Reverse this and you see markets fall.

watch inventory closely, days on the market and who is buying

Why Rockingham was a winner, still is…. Kudos to those who got in…. In 2021

You captured growth, and 6-7% rental yields

PeterBr88 and bricksnmortar85 like this.
  18. Yodha

Yodha Member

You cracked me up @Piston_Broke... funny but on the spot on analysis

Piston_Broke likes this.
  19. DevD

DevD Well-Known Member

Do you have any recommendations ?

20. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Just watched this episode:

It sounds like the guest (who is a forum member) can now perform like the top 1% of Buyer Agents in Australia (40:00).

1) The course is pretty good and every investor should do it
    2) 99% of the buyer agents in Australia are *****
    3) The guest has some ego issue

Do you agree with 1, 2, 3 or something else?

Last edited by a moderator: 16th Sep, 2022