Anyone thinking of going “risk off”?

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Clive Palmer's Yacht, 22nd Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Clive Palmer's Yacht

Clive Palmer's Yacht Well-Known Member

Like many, my wife and I have enjoyed solid returns on our super over the past 18 months.

However, there appear to be numerous headwinds (actual or high potential) afoot this year that indicate it could be a good time to think about moving to a risk-off position, away from investments like international equities and into more defensive (lower returning) assets.

We’re keeping our property investments held outside super in situ, but am conscious more volatile equity investments could slide rapidly if the Fed overdoes tightening, or Russia (and China) go to a war footing for example.

My sense is the emerging optimism seen during ‘21 is now behind us, and we’ll see business cut growth forecasts and capital investment in favour of de-levering balance sheets to weather the storm.

What’s your sense? Is now a time to take recent gains off the table and hunker down?

George Smiley and Stoffo like this.
  2. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's a case of de-risking a percentage.

I'm also feeling the winds are shifting, but that might just be the lizard part of my brain which the world has been stimulating for the last two years.

3. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Definitely moving into de-risk mode. Debt free (retired), moving more speculative stocks into LICs and ETFs and increasing cash reserve - pushing cash buffer from 1 to 3 years expenses.

Baker likes this.
  4. The Artisan

The Artisan Well-Known Member

Howdy mate, I've also had a few worries, lost about 40K this last fortnight which is no good for the party fund. My dog's not getting that premium lamb roll anymore :D:D:D I keep telling myself it's just a correction but it's more likely turning south from here. I might take 25% off the table just to be sure I don't have to go back to work. Might pump it into bitcoin for something new...

5. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Instead of a cash buffer why not move it into bonds. It's counter-cyclical so if it goes to hell it's one asset class that will go up.

6. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

My buffer i also my "grab the opportunity" reserve so I prefer my powder dry. Also with bond yields being so low and not likely to go much lower I am at a bit of a loss to see how bonds can be counter cyclic in the current circumstances as there is no room for bond yields drop if the economy tanks which I understand is the way it is meant to work.

George Smiley likes this.
  7. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Yes that's true, bonds are only useful when the rate is a bit higher. Problem is cash is so deflationary at the moment. Hard to find the right place for it.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We used most of our super to fund our townhouse build.

I received a small inheritance from an uncle two months ago and planned on putting it into our super accounts. We have til end of June to drop into super, but I'm concerned our balances are going down, so I'm better (right now anyway) having it in the bank.

I'm tempted to pay down some loans, but they are reducing quickly now we have better income flowing.

We are going to be seeing our accountant and financial planner in a month or two but ultimately, we will make the decision. Getting more back into super gives us better tax advantages as we get older, but the world is a funny place, and I'm thinking perhaps reducing our loans is not a bad idea.

Last edited: 22nd Jan, 2022
    Sackie likes this.
  9. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Err..

Seems like crypto for the most part is a speculative asset that many have piled into while money was cheap - like some growth stocks (see ARKK) - but with 10x volatility. If you think the broader stock market is going to take a dip &/or track sideways, what do you think individual coins might do?

Blockchain seems an amazing technology with a multitude of applications btw.

Joynz likes this.
  10. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

As some smarter than me told me many times, "No one ever went broke taking a profit."

lixas4 likes this.
  11. The Artisan

Certainly, just proves how many gamblers are out there, like myself. I just checked out a nice MV Augusta, I'm just looking for opportunities. Take care mate

Baker likes this.
  12. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Heh, yeah right now I'm eyeing off a Triumph Tiger, a Daytona 765, and a 1980s RD or RZ 250.

That's investing, yes?

datto likes this.
  13. The Artisan

Beauty, you should buy the lot

14. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Stockmarket.png

"If you have trouble imagining a 20% loss in the stock market, you shouldn't be in stocks."

Jack Bogle

Last edited: 23rd Jan, 2022
    jaybean and Anne11 like this.
  15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If a crash occurs 20% may be "mild".

I forsee a lot of people who have followed the index ETFs take a smashing. In a crash there is a flight to quality for some. This means less demand for index ETFs. There is a high number of people who will hold...for a while. Then the "new reality" will emerge and taking losses becomes a strategy. This takes it further and further. So many investors have never seen a true crash. Many think of the COVID drop as a market event. It was a mere blip and nothing like past corrections. The GFC in 2008 took 10 years to correct. Few investors consider that time horizon. The interest cost to hold will add 50% to the cost of the investment in that time. ie You cant even break even even if the shares rebound after 10 years. You are still down 30%.

One downside to the GFC was also the impact on credit markets. You couldnt even finance a car. Let alone equity out on property.

Last edited: 24th Jan, 2022
    Baker likes this.
  16. Clive Palmer's Yacht

Clive Palmer's Yacht Well-Known Member

We've pulled the pin and moved the lot into "capital stable" investment option (carries lower fees than "high growth", but a small bid-ask spread means you need to leave in situ 4-6 months in order to break-even on costs).

Having probably missed the market's peak, we're down 4% from where that was a week or so ago, however my view is we at least consolidate the majority of what I believe will be - in retrospect - abnormal gains over 20/21, and then are able to watch and wait from the sidelines before getting reinvested in equities. I hear you on bond prices, but they should at least produce a small yield to mitigate inflation, which you don't really get with cash.

..Now it could be the case that the market still grows this year, but my bet is it will be sideways on best case, with a material risk to the downside pending more visibility on whether the Fed overtightens (with consequent impacts on Aussie banks' cost of financing from offshore money markets); Russia/Ukraine (and potentially China/Taiwan..but that's more likely to be a longer game); emergence of new variants as we head towards colder months; and what action the RBA takes here after the election.

17. Hockey Monkey

Hockey Monkey Well-Known Member

Care to back this prediction up with any data?

This video suggests the opposite

ChrisP73 and jaybean like this.
  18. APINDEX

APINDEX Well-Known Member

Took about 5-6 for ASX?

19. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

upload_2022-1-27_18-41-26.png

ChrisP73, Anne11 and APINDEX like this.
  20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The S&P/ASX 200 index only recovered its 2009 peak in the period just after Trump took office. Brexit and Greek default nerves didnt help through that period. 11.5 years.
    The ASX's long, long road to recovery

Wrong chart ?