Anyone retired early solely from property or shares?

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Lacrim, 10th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

It would be really helpful to me and the community on PC if we could get success stories from people who've retired early from AUSTRALIAN PROPERTY or SHARES
    • how you did it
    • what and where you bought
    • how long it took
    • when/age you retired
    • how much passive income you're living off
    • did you do it with/without kids etc.

Numbers would really help to give it context.

Have seen threads from some claiming to be financially free, but aren't really ie they're still running a side business to make ends meet. Then there are others who retired early but living off a meagre amount (true to the FIRE mantra), and some who retired principally on the back of lucrative businesses. Then we have the usual US prop proponents....all interesting reading but not overly relatable to the journey of the majority.

For most of us mere mortals who seek a very comfortable early retirement with a minimum passive income of say, $80-100K plus (assuming a fully paid off house), I personally haven't found too many examples on this site.

Maybe there aren't many who've done it - I'm not sure. Would love to hear their story though if they did.

Anyone out there?

Last edited: 10th Feb, 2019
  2. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

set up a survey and you will see how many earn
    $100k pm

twisted strategies, MTR and Silverson like this.
  3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

What do you mean by early, at 20, 30, 40, 50, ...?

twisted strategies likes this.
  4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Earlier than 50 would be good

5. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

Your premise is that everyone’s idea of retirement is the same.
    anyone who has the ability to build a passive income stream of that amount has found a formula that works for them.
    The idea of true retirement would be death, if you build a passive income income of $80-$100k per month.
    The formula is simple and can be taught, but the perseverance required to achieve this, means that they love doing it and would not stop while they had their health.

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

@Lacrim

Going by the above, perhaps change the question to include a "Could have retired".

"Early" is a bit irrelevant to (hence the quesiotn above) - someone may have started serious investment from broke at 60 and "could retire" at 70.

The Y-man

7. berten

berten Well-Known Member

Guys im pretty sure OP means 100k p.a.

Not per month.

DevD, twisted strategies and Ben_j like this.
  8. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I'm on -$50k a year, does that count? ;)

9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yes 100K pa not per month :eek:

twisted strategies and Ivanovich like this.
  10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

OK. It's a little skinny if one wants to throw in healthy bouts of international travel though.

11. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Counts me out :D.

Oh well, I will go back to my aggressive retirement living, funded by my passive investments :p.

TBH, it is a lot easier to retire early today than it was when I started my investment journey 40 years ago ;).

So, I think we will see more and more people becoming financially independent in say their 40’s (I prefer that term to ‘retire early’) in the future than in the past.

12. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I think you might have missed the "-" in my post.

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Earlier than 9pm :p

14. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

I think the key here is how much money you have been able to make and invest that will determine if its possible. So if some how you have $10mill to invest in shares / property at the age of 20 and you can live on $100k a year. Then sure its more than possible.

So I am 38 with 2 kids. I have accumulated significant wealth over the past 10 years or so from running businesses and also dabbling in a few property developments. I have invested the income I have earnt from work and the property developments into shares & direct property / property trusts.

Am I retired? No. Could I retire if I wanted? Yes. Why have I not retired? Firstly my annual spend is high. So what might be enough passive income for one person might not be enough for the next. Second of all I am a doomsday prepare when it comes to finances. What if the market has a major crash tomorrow and the passive income stream was to reduce by 50%. So I want to build in a 50% drop in income buffer scenario.

Now I am not far from that situation. Will I retire? Probably not. While my work can be highly stressful at times, I still have great flexibility and earning capacity. I also get bored easily and if retired I would probably go crazy.

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Just from my own and ppl i know and their experiences.

Not retired but i am financially free. Love to bits what I do anyway so rarely feels like work. It's really not as complicated as many think it is. It just depends how committed one is and ppls levels of commitment varies greeeeeatly. Also imho mindset plays a huge part .

Starting young absolutely helps big time no doubt about it. Many ways to get there . RE. Shares. Business etc. I honestly don't think 'the way' is the challenge but more so persevering to find what works for you. I did it mostly though RE and starting very early . 18.

Really the formulae is simple . Work your ass off with income , invest in your chosen vehicle and become an 'expert' with the vehicle you decide to use. Network with other successful investors , rince and repeat . With some 'luck' and loooots of hard work and sacrifcies you should eventually get there .

But the later you start and the shorter amount of time you give yourself to reach your goals the more exponentially difficult it becomes to hit your target .

Nobody, bythebay, See Change and 10 others like this.
  16. Scott No Mates

I have a neighbour who recently hit 80 and is complaining that his kids want him to retire. His response is XYZ is almost 90 and still working his butt off finding sites and getting them built. Why should I stop?

17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Agree, I could never live like many of the FIRE types. I don’t want to have to worry about what we spend. Many underestimate what obstacles can arise in life which you @kierank know all too well. Being in a position of being able to afford to seek the best help / resources needed to deal with major unforeseen events is a huge comfort.

But as usual we’re all different.

twisted strategies and kierank like this.
  18. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Going to put @Lacrim out of misery :D

First, please read Hi from The Y-man (bit of self-promotion here!! :eek:)

So we are 2 "average" DINKs, with pretty ordinary desk jobs ~ granted somewhat higher than the average wage of $60k or whatever, but really after tax in normal circumstances we would be left with not much more than that.

We bought IPs to the max of our serviceability.
    All are in the eastern half of Melbourne ~ wait ...I just checked ~ holy cow 3 are in the West!!!

In terms of numbers, you will find that for the typical Melb house you could get about 3 per person for a decent wage. We have the equivalent but have also some units and apartments in the mix (see the intro story).

So 3 houses per person, and these are roughly $1m each now - total value of $6m.
    Our effective loan is down to about $1m now, so if we sold up today, we could realise $5m theoretically ~ ok apparently there is a price crash so let's take a 20% haircut and make that $4m.

If you read my ravings about REITs, I could get 5%pa on my $4m (been averaging 8%pa before tax considerations for the test portfolio) so that's $200k passive pa.

So why don't I do that now? Well they say don't do anything for tax reasons - but here I am saying it IS for tax reasons! Resi IP is still IMHO the most tax effective money sinkhole I can find.

Oh yes, timelines - so we started technically in 1998 - 20 years and a bit ago to get to this stage - no businesses, ordinary jobs, lots of overtime and second jobs (at the start), lots of money lost in dodgy investments, lots of money spent on courses, etc.

Could someone do it in exactly the same way today? Plausible, but I personally think you'd have trouble recreating the strategy in Melb at this point in time ~ but then I've been wrong plenty of times before!

As for the secondary question - why don't we just stop (as I have been asked many times)
    • We haven't found an effective use of our time and KSO.
    • While $200k pa would be nice to live off (actually we live on $60k pa INCLUDING overseas trips) there is always this voice saying "How about a 7 figure income pa"? o_O in the back of my head....

Hope this helps you.

The Y-man

Last edited: 11th Feb, 2019
    Empathy, Skipinvest, Nobody and 26 others like this.
  19. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

He he yes, unfortunately my nervous disposition means I need the to do same to sleep well at night.

20. Scott No Mates

Yet you gotta feel for this young guy, 14 properties under his belt and only just bought his first ppor.

If he hasn't lived in any of his IP's, he might have qualified for the FHBG too (but I think he is above the threshold).

James_w and twisted strategies like this.