Anyone raised a house in Brisbane lately?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Biz, 23rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

I suppose when you're lifting ( no shifting), you're just basically extending the plumbing/sewer/electricity, plus any stairs that we need to redo, so cost is considerably less than shifting.

2. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

That's true, cos the brick apron might be /shifted/moved when house is lifted..

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I don't think the slide was a whole lot extra. Most of the work has to be done for a simple lift.

I guess a large cost is the slab, which was included in her $90k figure and if it is a straight lift then possibly an existing slab could be re-used but I reckon most old houses in Brisbane (every one I have ever known anyway) have a slab that could not be reused. Many old under-the-house slabs were jack built, with little or no reinforcing and not correct thickness or strength. There would be no plumbing under an old house to take bathrooms or kitchens in a new downstairs area.

I'm glad we have crappy slabs because I'd hate to have to scrap something that is "nearly good enough".

I recall her initial ballpark figure was just a lift when she didn't realise I needed a slide too. But I cannot recall the figure.

She was very helpful, the most helpful so far. I've only called one other company and had to tell them the number of stumps to help them gauge house size. This young lady checking it on google earth was a much more accurate way I think.

Numbers still are ballpark, and I'd get more quotes when it gets closer, but I just needed ballpark figures at this early stage.

4. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

Hi wylie,

How are you doing? Just want to follow up from you as I also need to raise and shift a house from a middle of 2 lots into 1 lot.

Anyone know how long it will take to shift, and get electricity + water reconnected?

The reason is that we are living in the house now, so we want to know the total time we need to live outside or in a motel.

Thank you.

5. wylie

We were told the actual move would need a month. But reality is really you have to expect to live somewhere else for maybe three months. (This was when I asked a house lifter how long would we lose rental income for... their answer was to allow three months without rent.)

Things always take longer, which is why they said to allow three months.

I guess if you are living in the house you could shorten that to just over a month if things go smoothly, but I'm just going by what I was told by a house raiser.

I was also told years ago by a house lifter who used to do stumping work for us that you can lie bookcases down, leave furniture in place while the house is being lifted. Just take out the breakable things or anything that could topple or cannot be laid down.

If you really pushed, I guess you could disconnect power and water and a month later get them connected and then live there while the other things are happening.

Best bet would be to call a house raiser and ask them. I'm only repeating what I've been told.

6. iloveqld

Thanks very much, wylie.

Do you know all the required steps?
    1. Soil test
    2. Structure engineer
    3. House raiser -> do we clear the site before call the house raiser and shift?

It may be longer for us as we have a house on 2 lot, and water and electricity on lot 1, but we move the house to lot 2. Do anyone know if I need to request for new water meter /connection and new electricity connection on lot 2 -> so we have 2 each on both lots :D

Sewage is another story, which I need to ask some designer :(

Cheers.

7. wylie

In our case, I believe we will have to bring power and water to the new lot and blank it off, but we've not got that far yet.

The chap who drew up our plans for the houses in their new positions will also do the structural drawings when we ned them.

I'd ask the rest of a house raiser. They do this every day and should be able to answer and maybe have some contacts they are used to working with.

8. iloveqld

Thank you, do you have a house raiser, who I can ring and ask for a house in Brisbane?

9. wylie

We've always used Budget House Restumping. One brother does the stumping and the other does the raising I believe. We've never had them do a lift for us though, only stumps.

I'd google and get a couple of quotes. Tim on here has recommended Black and White and when the time comes, we will give them a call too.

Tim86 and iloveqld like this.
  10. iloveqld

Thank you, wylie. I am waiting for approval now then I will do the same. Just want to know more before hand :D

Hope everything is going well with your project and keep us updated. Cheers.

11. Faavae Avia

Faavae Avia New Member

Hi Tim, how much normally to restump a 8 x 12 3bdrms on level site? Do i need license to restump it myself, i have some building experience. I attached the house I'm looking to buy. My number is 0434218418 if you are able to contact me please. Thanks

Attached Files:

12. wylie

My niece called Black and White and also Budget. Both were much higher than the company she ended up engaging. Raising today.

13. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Ring up black and white house raisers and theyll tell you how much.

14. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Pays to get few different quotes. The cheaper one may not be cheaper tomorrow.

I think with trades any time they get busy the price goes way up.

15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Could/would you raise a fibro house?

16. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Would depend on the house. Im going to be raising a fibro internal, chamferboard external house in a couple years. But Ill be ripping out the internal fibro anyway and replacing with gyprock.

17. Brittany Grace

Brittany Grace Well-Known Member

Last edited: 25th May, 2017
  18. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Very very nicely done. Would be intetested to know how much and how long it took and how much you make on it.

19. Brittany Grace

Brittany Grace Well-Known Member

Thanks Tim, 2 year project. Saying that, we renovated the top level in about 2 months, the day it settled we ripped out the bathroom, kitchen and painted ect, we put a little kitchen in just to do us for the year. Once we were ready we removed the kitchen and moved back with my parents. We used the old kitchen in the new laundry

I think we were living there for about 1.5 years then major Reno started, which we had to move quick as our first baby was arriving! It took 3 months to complete - pricing is a hard one as my husband is a builder.. profit we made was excellent. Currently onto our next one, but not a major one and this is a 1 year Project. Just a little low set bricks this one.

20. LittleBlueHouse

LittleBlueHouse Active Member

Figured I’d just reopen this thread...

Totally new here. Looking into renovating our small 88sqm 3 bedroom 1 bath postwar cottage into a 4bed 2bath. Block is 665sqm, 16m frontage 40m+ long, northside of Brisbane

We’ve had the house 3 years and are looking at either expanding up or extending out or potentially moving on to something else if that makes more sense financially

The idea we keep coming back to is to raise the house (turn the current dining/kitchen into a main suite with ensuite/WIR), internal stairs, new kitchen/living/dining/laundry/toilet downstairs

We’d also consider another room downstairs, living come spare room come office etc

I know this is completely ball park and probably impossible to answer but if anyone has a rough idea of cost that would be awesome!

The alternative is to just had a main bedroom suite to the back of the house and a deck and update the kitchen

Can add some photos if it’s easier

Thanks!

CJ Property likes this.