Anyone raised a house in Brisbane lately?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Biz, 23rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Really. Sister only used them about 3 months ago... I would just call the guys mobile phone rather than leaving a message with the other lady/receptions number.

House Raising and Restumping Brisbane | Black & White

Try Jeffs number.

2. montoya

montoya Well-Known Member

main.jpg w800-h600-w2000-h1333-10686639_8_pi_160708_053104.jpg
    Instead of starting a new thread, i thought I may as well post here as the topic has already been started.

I've attached two pictures showing the exterior of the property and current bottom floor (not legal height).

Properties on the same street that have legal height underneath sell for a premium on this street. Just wondering whether
    a) it would be worth doing as the majority of the space is the double garage, meaning we'd lose a carapace or two
    b) if the costs would be any different (for better or worse) as it is already enclosed.

3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I sent multiple emails from their website contacts and every email address I could find for them. Nothing.

4. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Why sending emails? Just give him a call.

5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Well, I know it sounds a little crazy, but I thought a business with a contact us form might have someone actually looking at it.

6. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Love your optimism.

Welcome to the building industry and dealing with trades :)

7. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

You can just enclose the new internal stairs in temporary weatherproof material. But the problem is that the internal stairs takes space from upstairs floor plan that you can't yet compensate for with underneath space.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

@RPI this is our dilemma. But with both houses we have places where we can place internal stairs without compromising too much, but it IS a compromise, especially if we want to get the same rent as we are getting now.

We will be spending $50k+ but will not get any higher rent as the work is all unseen and doesn't add to the rentability.

We have time to think about it before making any decisions. If we can get some downstairs rooms built without going overboard that would be a good thing, but we certainly don't want to spend $300k and then find we have spent a big chunk of our townhouse build money.

I'd like to price up installing the weatherboards, windows, slab, plumbing for bathroom, laundry and kitchen (but not add them at this stage) and maybe just close off one bedroom downstairs if we take an upstairs bedroom for the stairwell. It all comes down to our quotes.

I know I don't want to add two sets of external stairs and them remove them in a year if we add internal stairs with a ground level front door.

Decisions, decisions...

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hehe. Got plenty of time to message during business hours, calling not so much.
    Would prefer to send the written details rather than trying to explain it all on the phone as well.

Tim86 likes this.
  10. 60North

60North New Member

Hi Tim if you don't mind me asking how do you manage the builder licence requirements when you do the work yourself? Do you do owner builder licence or perhaps you have a builder licence yourself? I'm fairly new to Queensland so I'm still figuring out how that stuff works here, but as far as i can see if you do any work greater than 11K value and want to get it signed off by the certifier its got to be by a licensed builder. I want to raise, build in under and extend a place I've bought in Brisbane but the only way i can afford to do it is to do the majority of the work myself once its raised and on its new stumps. I am a tradesman, but I don't have a builder licence so actually doing the work is no problem for me but I'm not sure if I can get it certified. I really want to get it properly inspected and signed off by the certifier but I'd rather not do the owner builder thing because they mark 'owner builder' on the title for 6 years I believe and i'm concerned that might make it difficult to sell, also I'd like to move on and do another one as soon as I finish and you're only allowed one owner builder every so often i think.

11. MPK

MPK New Member

Did you end up doing this? I'm wondering what the total costs would be of not just raising but building in underneath, plumbing, electricity and anything else. Any advice?

12. wylie

I'm not the one you are asking, so sorry if I jump in here.

The chap who drew up the house lift for us reckons building under with second bathroom, couple more bedrooms, living area (putting kitchen downstairs too) would be close to $300k.

I think that is high, but he is doing this day in, day out, so I guess I have to work on that figure and anything less is a bonus.

But it makes it not worthwhile for us to do and I've gone back to estimating just lifting, sliding, new stairs, fencing, full slab (or maybe just partial car slab) plus the fees involved might be $100k. A real estate agent told me this is more likely to be $130/140k.

Next stop for me is a builder. I'll report back.

Marg4000 likes this.
  13. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the late reply. missed the msg.

I do owner builder. And yes it has all those limitations you listed unfortunately.

14. Meehan

Meehan Member

Hi everyone. New to the forum and looking at raising our home in Brisbane. Particularly interested in Starlights comment that didn't get a reply? We have a brick veneer home, early 80's, with a 2.1m ceiling height. Looking at raising to use the downstairs area as living space and keep upstairs for bedrooms/add bedrooms. Early stages of thought and planning and some great advice/contacts on here so any advice is welcome. Thanks...

15. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I would contact a business that raises houses to ask your questions. My understanding is that you cannot raise a brick veneer house.

16. Meehan

Meehan Member

Hi Montoya. How did you go with raising this property? Ours is similar and looking to do the same thing. Cheers...

17. Meehan

Meehan Member

Cheers Tim. The property looks just like Montoyas in the above post they may have some solutions!

18. wylie

After making this post, I called a local company. I have her the address and she used google earth to gauge the size of the house. Our job is lifting and sliding about six metres.

She said the lift/slide would be between $25k to $30k and if they did the whole job of lifting, sliding, reconnection of services, new stairs front and back, it would be roughly $90k.

I think we would probably engage the appropriate people rather than pay them to coordinate this as a whole job, but we have time to think about the upside of having someone come in and do it all against saving some money by organising the different tradies involved ourselves.

The $100k I'd been using as my guesstimate was about right.

19. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Meehan, there is a difference between a brick house and a brick apron.
    In Montoya's it may be possible, but if its brick up to 1st floor then no go.
    Cost wise case by case basis, so you need few quotes.

20. wylie

And the photo shows a timber house on brick base, and that should be able to lifted. Of course you will lose the brick and end up having to build a new base.