Anyone raised a house in Brisbane lately?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Biz, 23rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

What sort of cost are you looking at to do it and what was your experience with it?

2. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

no experience but did enquire to a few movers

around $15-20k to raise it to 2.7-3m

If wanting to move it few metres to the side around 25k

3. aussieshorter

aussieshorter Well-Known Member

A few months ago we raised a house and moved it about 1.5m in Brisbane.

Cost was roughly $30k including the new posts and hot dip galvanising.

4. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I used these guys for my last place:

http://cainhouseremovers.squarespace.com/about/

Highly recommended. They do straight house raising also. To just raise the house depending on the house etc... you'd be looking at between $6000 - $8000. To do the stumping on a standard sized house maybe $10 000 - $12000.

I've also used these guys in the past for a house raise: http://www.bwhouseraising.com.au/

Both these guys were around the same price. Their prices were the cheapest I could find out of about 6 different house raisers.

Sackie and clubman like this.
  5. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Just ask @beachgurl for their experience. You will get good advice.

Mooze likes this.
  6. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I have noticed a few people mentioning shifting the house, what is the idea with this? Moving it to the side so you can make a battle axe block or moving it to the side on one of the big blocks that are split in the middle?

7. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Yep - re-positioning the house so you can sub-divide. Do your budgeting carefully. Dirty tricks are used by shifters and stumpers to bait and switch on pricing. It may be more cost-effective to knock down and rebuild.

House likes this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Can you please explain what you mean by this. We will be lifting and moving two houses on their blocks to allow two blocks to be configured into three.

What do we need to be careful of? I'd like to go in with as much knowledge as I can.

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

If you look at 141 Arthur Tce in Red Hill QLD on Google Maps you'll see they've raised and moved it right over, and you'll see the new block at 139. St view will show you the new house going up at 139. Able to keep the old house because it was so 'slim'.
    https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...s0x6b91574e21b3fd3f:0x502a35af3de9620!6m1!1e1

Biz likes this.
  10. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Just thinking what situation is worth raising. If not built under before raising, you would need to spend 50-100k, plus raising cost, so more than annexed unit cost. If already built under but doesnt have legal height, I could see another 20-50k plus raising cost.I guess in more prestige suburb you opt for raising.

I see more benefit in shifting the house in a corner or splitter or subdivision scenario though.

Does anyone know if U can raise or shift a character/dcp home?

11. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

You can raise and shift a character DCP home. It is considered a partial demolition if you move it sideways. Can do without DA if the conditions are just right.

I have used Andrew Drake for 15 years or so. [email protected] or affordablerestumping.com.au

It depends on the layout underneath as well for costs (existing bearers and joists) as well as proposed. Have a look at 15 Norman Ave Norman Park was one of the recent ones. Raised to 9.5m above NGL and sold with it sitting on sticks.

Whitecat and RetireRich101 like this.
  12. RetireRich101

@RPI, the Norman Park one. was that one you mentioned on SS last year you could easily make $150k on shifting the house? Based on the numbers of sold price, you're not wrong for a small effort.

13. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

I just prefer to not go through the angst of a full build anymore. I don't have the time, shift stump and you get something that a 1st home buyer can renovated and then extend over time. Very attractive to them. Also you tend then to be in the bottom price bracket in the area but without any structural issues.

14. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Cost me around 100k to slide, rotate, raise, rebuild stairs, connections etc. post war home slid a few meters in order to subdivide.

For the next project I'm demolishing the house. At that figure there's more money made in building new.

15. RetireRich101

There appears to be a large variation in the 3 actual. Trying to break this down the root cause of this variation, understand all Queenslander are not the same :rolleyes:

Verbal quote you'll likely hear $20k to raise, and $10k to shift few metres

Actual are probably
    $20k to raise
    $10k to shift few metres
    $10k to rotate
    $10k to rebuild the stairs
    $5k to reconnect
    Total $55k

Haven't done one myself. The actual figures are going in between Beachgurl and others who came in cheaper.
    Another observation is that beachgurl is in Sydney, while others are on the ground. That would make some difference, but shouldn't be that much.

Keen to see the break down of the actual incurred cost if you care to share.

simnatped and House like this.
  16. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

@Tim86 probably has some useful insights to offer.

Tim86 likes this.
  17. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Your figs are about right. I also needed a temp power connection and the builder cost include a new driveway cut out and driveway/footpath, a laundry (as the original one was a tack-on to the back which was removed prior to raising, timber battens around ground floor, garage door and a few other bits and pieces.

18. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Yeah just checked my invoice from black and white. $5500 to raise my house very high (see profile pic) and to slide it back 2m.

I did stumping myself. At my height stumping would have cost a fair bit to pay someone. For a normal height it would only cost 10-12k.

Dont know where other people are getting their figures from... unless theyve been way over charged.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  19. Starlite

Starlite Well-Known Member

Hi Beachgurl,

Have you ever raise and rotate a brick veneer house?

20. RetireRich101

@Tim86, have you consider Project Manage a house raise/shift/rotate for the PChat community for say 5-10% commission etc :D

beachgurl likes this.