Anyone on here go to church?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Whitecat, 26th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Yes I too get a little intimidated (overwhelmed) with those churches. The way I was brought up is candles and hymmns But later on I found out even in Catholics, there is a charismatic group. You just need to find them. With around 5 Catholic churches near me, I know of one who has a group like that.

Whitecat likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Hillsong are fundamentalist and Pentecostal. You've stated already that you don't want fundamentalist, but anybody is worth a try. It's the community that you are looking for, so you may be able to put up with items off your shopping list.

Whitecat likes this.
  3. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to make them my exclusive source of items on my shopping list but they would be good in small doses for a sing and to hear what they have to say.
    That is why I am exploring Christianity at the moment, I used to think I would get into stupid arguments about whether Jonah was really eaten by a whale or whether the stones in the church were only ~10000 years old and then get thrown out. So I didnt go, even though I really wanted the prayer and singing and community. Now I realise there is some many aspects that I can enjoy (and probably get away with ignoring the parts that I dont believe) that it is worthwhile to get involved.
    By the way I also like Hinduism and Buddhism and yoga-related spirituality (I love the whole Byron Bay alternative scene). I don't want to give those hobbies up even if they are 'false idols' according to some.

Redwing likes this.
  4. Whitecat

Thanks I will ask around to find the charismatic Catholics in Brisbane and join in some prayer meetings.

5. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

Yep, I was gunna say it sounds like the Uniting Church is exactly what you're looking for. i.e. all inclusive, pro-social, pro-gay marriage etc. It does seem like you're just picking and choosing parts of the bible that affirms your worldview. For example, read Romans 1:18 onwards. Its pretty clear what its referring to. Also how are you going to decide which words to take literally and which ones not to? Also check out 1 John 2:5 what loving God means.

Have you recently converted as I'm sure you've been in Brissie for awhile so wondering why you're not in a church yet?

Property Guts and Whitecat like this.
  6. Pentanol

I think you'll find that its much cheaper for the government to have a church in every community around Australia as they do a lot of work to care for those who are weak, widowed, vulnerable, old and orphaned. The government would be stuffed without Churches.

7. Pentanol

Except for Hillsong. They're loaded! I go to Hillsong in Mortlake. As much as I tried to avoid Hillsong at the start, I found the people there amazingly supportive, inclusive and brings out the best in me.

8. Whitecat

I'm not converted. And i intend to pick and choose from the bible.

9. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Yes, I do go to church. Grew up in a baptist family. Have been through many churches and denominations. Now, I attend a Pentecostal church with focus on the gift of Holy Spirit.

Being a strong Christian, sometimes, I do find it some sort of conflict of interest between keeping my mind occupied with property investing (finding worldly wealth) and dedicating my mind to God. Sometimes, I wish I have a chance to sit down face to face with a property investor who is a strong Christian and share the journeys.

el caballo and Whitecat like this.
  10. Whitecat

Social and community reasons are motivating me. Plus assistance with self development

11. Ko Ko Naing

This is exactly what I found with the church I go to. Social aspect of being part of a church is very important, as humans are simple social animals. Especially, when ones get older, society and community around us can help out to each other. Encouragement, motivation and warmth support from church community is what I expect most.

Great sermons help me build my resilience and focus on positivity rather than overwhelming with negativity in the past. Sharing stories and getting in front of other church members also help with my personal development in regards to motivating others, public speaking, etc. Those skills one way or the other are very useful with my daily life as well; be it in my workplace, my business or my family.

So I hope you find a good bible-based church, @Whitecat

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I have met several key mentoring people on this forum. Most are Christian. There will be people in Melbourne you can meet with who would be willing to talk you through this perceived conflict.

I used to have these conversations all the time before we sorted it and until I knew the appropriate position to take. I personally believe there is nothing morally wrong with creating wealth here on Earth. There are, however, some preachers out there who have twisted the Biblical context and leave themselves open to ridicule for their teachings.

13. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

The University of Queensland Homepage

Their open day is 5th August.

They seem to fit all your criteria.

Angel and Whitecat like this.
  14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Ah! The old Mark 10:25 thing :) It is difficult - not impossible (Mark 10:27).

But again, this comes back to what we speak of in all threads - what is your end goal?
    If it is just "to be rich" it will probably not fulfill you, religious or not.

If on the other hand, wealth it is to allow you to further the gospel (without worrying about work, relying on others to feed you), then I suspect your conflicts will be less. See 2 Thess 3:8.

The Y-man

15. Ko Ko Naing

Thanks, @The Y-man This is exactly what I was looking for, when I first post my message here. It's been more than a year since I posted that and I feel I've grown a lot since then, both in terms of spiritual growth and personal growth. I believe I've found His plan for my life and am trying to walk with faith. That Mark 10:27 and Philippians 4:13 have been my goto scriptures, whenever I faced challenges.

To be rich or to be able to own a Ferrari was not my end goal since the beginning of my investment journey. It's more about being able to have options without the need to worry about money, so I can serve others in need and further the gospel when appropriate. Thanks for pointing out at 2 Thess 3:8!

el caballo likes this.
  16. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Unbaptised atheist here (but went through roman catholic and Anglican religious schools). I have heard many positive things about Uniting church from the social justice perspective - good people who would align with my own social justice views. If I was to seek out religion, this would be the group I would go to.

Property Guts and Whitecat like this.
  17. el caballo

el caballo Well-Known Member

Also a strong Christian, and would be pleased to catch up sometime to engage in evangelical discourse within the investor context. Maybe one of the Melbourne dinner catch ups.

18. Whitecat

Yes because lots of it I don't agree with or isn't relevant to me personally. But there is still plenty in there I find helpful (as I also find with with other religious teachings)

19. Property Guts

Property Guts Well-Known Member

Yes, i noticed a common thread in many successful property investors - many are christians. Intrigued and curious, i went along to Hillsong Zetland one day to see what it was all about. Warehouse, with smoke, resident rock band, hands reaching for the ceiling. All happy and i am happy for them all.
    Later i discovered the Steve McKnight Property Conference in Melbourne - and that's just one big christian property investing cult.
    I might take up Pentanol's tip and seek out a Uniting Church.
    All good.
    Peace.

Whitecat likes this.
  20. SuzyG

SuzyG Well-Known Member

A later comer to this thread... but some great thoughts in here! @Whitecat have you found what you are looking for yet?
    I'm Brisbane based too... not sure if I would be classified as 'fundamental' but I tend to ignore labels and get on with my life.

Whitecat likes this.