Anyone left who is optimistic? Poll

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Sackie, 28th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

How optimisitic are you for Australian real estate markets over the next 3-10 years?

Poll closed 23rd Jan, 2020.
  1. Very optimistic! There will be good opportunities, just need to find them.

29 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Somewhat optimistic. I would still invest.

46 vote(s)
    38.0%
  3. Neutral position, I just don't know

31 vote(s)
    25.6%
  4. Overall I am pessimistic and would stay out of all markets.

14 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. Time to sell, sell, sell and get the hell out!!

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. Australian real estate is going to crash 70%+. Fools, better get into LICs.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Seems everywhere I turn on the forum nowadays there is so much negativity. It's a given, markets are rumbling, the finance environment is challenging - there is no denying that. But do we have anyone left who is still optimistic and excited by what lays ahead? I know I bloody am!

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Sssh! Quiet you. We can buy cheap while the herd get distracted. :)

Bender12, craigc, MWI and 3 others like this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I am more than optimistic. I'm excited!

But shh! Let the herd drive the market down. :D

4. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

For those who are prepared (can still service debt) and know what they are doing then its a massive opportunity ahead in the years to come.

Perthguy, Sackie and Propertunity like this.
  5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I am champing at the bit to buy property no. 2.

The more doom and gloom, the better!

Codie likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

unnamed.gif

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

We both know that market is collapsing as far back as 2015. Remember this pearl from 2015?

Banks have treated our housing market like a Ponzi scheme, and it's about to bust

Banks have treated our housing market like a Ponzi scheme, and it's about to bust

"About to bust"... what happened in 2016 and 2017 in Sydney?

Instead of whinging about how the market was about to collapse in 2015, if he had invested in Sydney or Melbourne instead, he could have doubled his money.

Think of the most recent doom and gloom as a measure of market sentiment. I know it's boring and frustrating, I find it that way too.

But gloom and doom bring buying opportunities.

it is imperative to know when it is time to leave and to be prepared for that perfect opportunity, to be greedy when others are fearful

Warren Buffet - Genius

Warren Buffett: Be Fearful When Others are Greedy

P.S. tick tock. Still waiting for that market collapse ;)

Brady and kierank like this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Perthguy
    Read the genius essay in Post #42. A bloody hoot. What happened after that post in 2015? Many hundreds of millions of dollars in RE profits we're created by investors. Literally fortunes were created.

And this is way back in 2015. I noticed my old pal Skilled Migrant 'liking' it. Some nostalgia, that's how I got my signature. He said I was the ring leader of the 'narcissistic mindset brigade'. Actually I'm faaar from it. Good ol Skilly should have bought an ip or 2 back then. Oh well . :D

Back to polling. :cool:

Last edited: 28th Jun, 2018
    Perthguy likes this.
  9. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

well, let them talk it down. I want to buy more. when can Sydney price drop 40%? hope it come sooner, ;)

10. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Australia as a whole is a BIG place. There's always opportunity somewhere. Granted, not in SYDNEY right now, but in the future.......yep, I've got powder dry.

11. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

@Leo2413, I am getting out of property and selling off my whole property portfolio across Australia.

You better all get out now because, once I start selling, prices will really crash.

I am excited about all of my capital losses - will offset against future share gains and income.

Only kidding.

12. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Opportunities!

13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You can LIC your wounds all betta :p

kierank, radson and twobobsworth like this.
  14. highlighter

highlighter Well-Known Member

About Sydney and Melbourne? Not really, I think the signs there look very ominous. About other markets? Sure. Some markets are very reasonably priced, especially if you buy quality assets.

Also if we suppose the market is crashing, bursting as a large bubble tends to do, then certain markets will bear the brunt while others stay relatively unscathed. I wouldn't want to be holding one bedders in an oversupplied area or house and land packages in a half-built fringe suburb, but good homes will hold up over time, and good investors usually have a plan in place to react to market changes.

Even in Ireland the crash only lasted about 3 years. Once the market passed 10% down, people seemed to get into a panic frenzy, and some silly choices were made but mostly it was new estates that suffered big losses. Builders just abandoned unprofitable projects. Your average homeowner was usually fine, and many investors used it as a buying opportunity. The market too a while to recover to near its original peak, but "recovery" happens faster than that for most people. People who owned good assets you were back in the black very quickly. So even if this is a worst case scenario, it's just not the "end of times".

The people on this forum are miles ahead in knowledge and savvy than most recent investors.

Last edited: 29th Jun, 2018
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

That's my biggest challenge these day - capital allocation for opportunities. There are so many.

Some include:

1. Buy total reno opportunities in the Eastern Suburb areas of Sydney in the duplex markets. There are great opportunities in this niche area/strategy if you know where to look and what you're doing.

2. Buy and build high spec waterfront homes in certain places in the Sunshine Coast. There are great opportunities there too with fast turnaround time on capital/profits

3. OO areas in inner/middle ring Brisbane. Large lot, reno, hold.

4. Secure a great site in Perth and hold.

There are more but don't wanna give away too much :oops:

CDaly, charttv and EN710 like this.
  16. CDaly

CDaly Member

I am glad I came across this discussion! its gave me bit of a boost in moral for my first IP.

I am very new to this property game, it both scares and excites me! However I have been researching for nearly a year now and just cant seem to pick up the signs you more knowledgeable people have. I have been looking all over Australia and started to really get down about it, just couldn't seem to understand how investors are making it work. Im not talking making millions like the boom did, I am just talking about making a positive cash flow - or even a balanced sheet! Everywhere I look, rents dont even cover the mortgage payments never mind all the other expenses that go with it. Now I am OK with some negative gearing as both my partner and I are pretty comfortable in our careers so we could service a IP mortgage but that just takes away more savings for a 2nd one.

Where can a lost soul like me bend my research? I am reading forums, financial pages in the paper, real estate websites and running the calculations for somewhere that may work... what more can I do?

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Don't worry about the second one, get a first. Look at Brisbane, middle ring OO housing markets. Something on a larger lot, renovation potential. Medium term hold. May be of interest to you. The buy needs to match your financial situation/risk profile and also be in line with the goals you have set.

CDaly likes this.
  18. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

it not about investing with optimism, it about risk, return and market condition and experience investors can navigate without issues.

Properties expensive doesn't mean you stop investing, it just you stop for a while and invest in some other asset likes Shares or if Shares is expensive you can cash out and sit in cash for a while and wait for better time.

selling out doesn't mean you stop investing, you just being smart about cashing out and locked in profit and wait for better time

19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Agree, its all about risk assessment. But you can still be optimistic about markets and gauge risk. Personally, if I wasn't optimistic for the long term wealth of certain assets then I wouldn't bother investing in them.

The term 'market' imho is very problematic, as I've posted many times in the past. There is no 'market' imo, but thousands of markets. Look at the Perth markets, then Sydney and Melbourne markets at the same time periods. Some very different results. And even within some of the Sydney/Melbourne markets, some markets/stock type have done a lot better than others. This is especially the case over the last 3 years in the Brisbane markets. Some did exceptionally well while others were nothing special.

Last edited: 29th Jun, 2018
    MWI and radson like this.
  20. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Ohh, do share. I need capital tho :(